Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage HAMB Shift knob #1 and other cool things that happened to me at GNRS this year.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Saxman, Jan 28, 2018.

1. I love going to GNRS. Even though, I'm not really a "show" car kind of guy, there is a lot to appreciate there. Not counting the cars, four other cool things happened to me this year:

#1. My wife really amazes me sometimes. Today at GNRS she inspired me with a reprimand, followed by words of wisdom. She's not a "get out in the shop and get her hands dirty" kind of girl, but she understands my love for cars and supports me in my endeavors, including buying a large shop that happened to have a house that came with it. At least, that's the way she tells the story! She also claims that she didn't know anything about "my car thing" before we got married and that I must have been hiding it. Not true! Although it was slightly dormant when we first met, the '41 Coupe in my garage should have been a clue. But I digress.

So today at GNRS we're walking through one of the exhibit halls and I'm lamenting about some of the cars that I have sold over the years and should have kept. You know how that goes, right? She stops me right there and says "This is not the hall of regrets, this is the hall of possibilities." Whoa! Holy shit! Referring to my own projects, she followed that with "You better get on it, dude." She's right, of course. She spanked me a little but also inspired me. It made my day. She's not really a car girl but in a weird way, she gets it!

#2. I finally met Keith Tardel. Nice guy.

#3. I have a special knob that I made as a gift for John Mearns and I was finally able to catch up with him today after carrying this knob around with me in my car for over a year. In return he was kind enough to hook my wife and I up with a couple of ACME Speed shirts.

#4. For those of you who may not have been around at the time, two or three years ago I made HAMB shift knobs for Ryan. It was actually the third design series that we have done over the years, and on this last go around there were only 100 knobs made and each one was individually numbered (well, actually there were 101. I made one for myself. Not numbered though). Anyway, what did I see when I looked inside the Mearns Coupe today? HAMB shift knob number 01! Okay, I actually knew it was there because John Mearns told me, but I hadn't seen it on the car yet. Dang, I'm proud to have one of my knobs on that car! What a sweet little coupe with that Nailhead and all!!

IMG_2301_sm.jpg

IMG_2289_sm.jpg IMG_2300-sm.jpg

Good times!

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  2. Great story. Love the coupe. I looked my HAMB shift knob over to see it doesn't have a number but it's the 1954 style.

lothiandon1940 and Saxman like this.
  3. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Proud #78 checking in. I appreciate the cool things you have shared here. Your wife sounds a lot like mine.

Register now to get rid of these ads!

4. Cool story, great (smart) wife.:)

Saxman, AVater and lothianwilly71 like this.
  5. Doc.

Doc.
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool, I love me some Saxman shift knobs.

Saxman likes this.
  6. [QUOTE="

#4. For those of you who may not have been around at the time, two or three years ago I made HAMB shift knobs for Ryan. It was actually the third design series that we have done over the years, and on this last go around there were only 100 knobs made and each one was individually numbered (well, actually there were 101. I made one for myself. Not numbered though). Anyway, what did I see when I looked inside the Mearns Coupe today? HAMB shift knob number 01! Okay, I actually knew it was there because John Mearns told me, but I hadn't seen it on the car yet. Dang, I'm proud to have one of my knobs on that car! What a sweet little coupe with that Nailhead and all!!

View attachment 3789535

View attachment 3789533 View attachment 3789534

Good times![/QUOTE]

That's awesome! Thanks for making those knobs! I originally bought #3, but then a fellow Hamber was gracious to trade me for #41 to go on my 41 Chevy.

7. catdad49

catdad49
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nothing like a little incentive (And a tiny bit of a threat) to speed things up. I'm sure you came away with some great ideas and with the missus backing, there's no more excuses. Go Saxman!!