Register now to get rid of these ads!

HAMB SERIES: Beginners Tool Box - Tune Up

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Traditions Racing, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Lets start the series with a Beginners Tool Box, aimed primarily at the tune up or the engine first. I will try this with a $50 maximum per tool cost with what I feel should be the basics for a member wanting to tune-up or perform some basic engine modifications on their jalopy.

I am skipping the basic mechanic hand tools such as socket sets, wrenches, screwdrivers, pliers, etc. You should pretty much have these items already being the owner of a 40,50, or even 80 year old car. Some specialty tools such as crow feet wrenches, or wobbler extensions can be purchased as needed, and we won't be concentrating on those types of basics here.

OK, the first and most important tool here is your brain. More specifically your senses, such as smell, sight, touch, and hearing. I don't think there will be to many things on your hot rod we need to taste.

Before you even touch a wrench, let's open the hood and LOOK around. Cracked or corroded wires, hoses, belts, leaks both under the engine and on. Now SMELL, smell the tranny fluid, smell any gas fumes, anything plain old smell burnt to you? How about HEAR, when you pulled it into the garage, hear anything out of the ordinary- squeaks, whines, wistles, hissing, gurggling, ticking, and most important of all knocking? Now TOUCH, get your hands dirt and TOUCH. The spark plug wires might LOOK good until you TOUCH them, same as the wires to the coil or alternator. They look great until you wiggle them or handle them, and the terminal stays on the stud and the wire ends up in your hand.

That's the end of part #1.

2. deucetruck

deucetruck
    from Missouri

I like your idea. Driving/maintaining a hot rod is NOT like jumping into your modern car...........................and isn't that the fun of it ?????? I am not a master mechanic by any stretch, but I always try to look, listen, smell, feel anything different when I get the hot rod out.
    Looking forward to reading more of this post.

3. It takes a long time to learn but you can actually tell what an engine wants just by listening to it. Slow timing or starvation ire the simpliest to learn. Touch layyour hand on the rocker cover and feel what you engine is doing. When you are around your own engine for a while you will learn what it is supposed to feel like. New vibrations can mean a multitude of things, worn motor mounts, loose rockers etc.

Some other basic tools, if you have points for instance you should have the celephane off of a ciggerete pack, a match book and a dollar bill. All of these will get you home in a pinch.

The dollar bill will clean the points, the match book will set them and if you need to drop the distributer on the side of the road and are not accustomed to timming by ear you can set your engin on the timming mark, put the celophane between the closed points and turn the distributer until it lets you pull the cellophane out. You are timmed.

4. Part #2

Ok, now we have your mind set in gear, lets get started.

We need a Service Manual- get one, buy one, borrow one anything but steal one. They won't fall into your lap, you probably need one that 40 or 50 years old, but they are out there and you will need one eventually.

SPARK PLUGS: before we get to the plugs we need to get the wires off, and yes there is a tool for that. Spark plug boot or wire puller. Yes, if you are careful you can possibly get by without this, but many times you just can't, they are under $10, so buy one. To gap the spark plugs - use a Wire type gapping tool. Throw that stupid looking round gapping tool in your tackle box and use it for a sinker!! Use a leaf type feeler gauges stacked together before you use that goofy round thing. If you have aluminum heads, get some silver Anti-Seize compound for the threads- actually you should have some regardless in your box. A foot long piece of 3/8" hose to help install the new plugs.

COMPRESSION GAUGE: these are very good to have, inexpensive, and easy to use. I will go into detail later on how to use one.

DWELL/TACH: This is optional as you can set your point gap using a feeler gauge. This meter of course is very handy, and accurate and a great addition to anyones tool box simply because here on the HAMB we love points. Contrary to popular belief they are very easy to find and buy and not all that expensive.

MULTI-METER or V.O.M. : Volt-Ohm Meter, very handy, easy to learn and very valuable. More than you will ever learn here in this thread alone. You don't need a $600 Fluke, just a decent $50 Craftsman will be excellent for the hobbyist.

TIMING LIGHT: yes you should buy one of these. Again don't worry about the high dollar dial-back type, not needed at all. We will go over the ways to use them and all of the little but VERY important details to using it properly.

OIL FILTER WRENCH: you can laugh but I think one of these should be in every tool box. If you have a spin on filter, get at least one to fit your filter, or better yet a multi fit one.

SMALL INCIDENTALS: A extending manetic pick up tool or magnet.
    A extending small mirror.
    Flashlight.
    A radiator fin comb or straightner.
    WD-40.
    Silicone Spray.
    PB Blaster or similiar Rust buster aerosol.
    Anti Seize.
    Black RTV sealant.
    Gascacinch or Permatex Aviation Gasket.

OPTIONAL : A remote starter button, or tool to turn your harmonic balancer or damper.

5. You thought I forgot the most important Tune Up tool?

A Vacuum Gauge- YOU MUST HAVE ONE OF THESE in your HAMB beginner tool box! :D

6. A definate must, I stuck mine in my ear this morning and I was pulling 32", perfect.

7. Thank you deucetruck and you uncle benno as well as I know you will have much to offer!!

8. roundvalley

roundvalley

At my age you need a box of band aids!

9. I wish I had more to offer. So much of what I do I do by feel and I don't know how to teach someone to do that other then to tell them to be familiar with their engine.

A multi meter is an important tool as well. There is a lot that can be diagnosed electrically if you just own a multi meter and know how to use it. I have a couple of expensive ones but I usually just grab my 7 dollar @ lowes one that I bought in a pinch 10 years or so back. it is the one that is normally most handy.

Oh and if your eyes are going bad get a digital with a big readout.

10. I'm only gonna worry if you start to show " boost " ,:eek::rolleyes:;):cool:

11. Funny but true sir, funny but true!!:D

12. That's a different orifice. ;)

13. I need to add 2 other tools:

First I mentioned using the leaf type feeler gauges in the Spark Plug section, but didn't actually list them as a needed tool, and yes they are. If your engine has solid lifters, get 2 sets!!, they are cheap enough.

Secondly a " Screw starter or holder ". These look like metal pencils, and you turn the tip and install a small screw. Now you push down slightly and the end will turn just enough to lock and hold the small screw in place. This allows you to put a very small screw into say a distributor without dropping the screw in the housing. Once the screw starts in it's threads, the tool will automatically release the screw and you finish tightning with a regular screwdriver. This handy tool is under $10 and will save you many grey hairs. Very usefull almost mandatory when changing points.

14. n847

n847

Cool thread...I still consider my self a novice at best...I'll be tuned into this one!

15. Took the word out of my mouth. its a must:eek:

16. FUEL PRESSURE: OK, so we all know how important FUEL PRESSUE is in Diagnostics and to some extent your new tune-up, or maybe some upgrades you made to the fuel system. Maybe you don't want to run a fuel pressure gauge or don't want to only have a gauge for one car that you might be working on, so what to do?

So let's make a Fuel Pressure portable gauge/tool.

You need a 0-15 PSI gauge with a 1/8" nipple.
    A 1/8" NPT Tee all female, such as Speedway Motors # 617-1300
    If you have 5/16" fuel line- you need 2 of 916-11047: 5/16" hose to 1/8" Male NPT.
    If you have 3/8" fuel line- you need 2 of 916-11049: 3/8" hose to 1/8" Male NPT.
    Some Teflon tape and assemble with the gauge in the middle position on the T fitting.

These fittings of course are generally available at your local hardware or Auto parts house as well.

Temporarily install this between the fuel pump and carburetor, start the engine and check your pressure. If you find that you now need a regulator for the fuel you can proceed with that part of the build or tune up.

17. You can also make a very quick tester for the fuel pressure using the same gauge, a single female/female 1/8" NPT connector and 1 of the fuel line fittings. Assemble with the Teflon tape the 3 pieces and tighten securely. Now temporarily put the tester in the line coming from the fuel pump. Be sure to use a hose clamp on the fitting.

Remove all of the spark plugs, disconnect the ignition or using your starter remote button crank the engine and measure the fuel pump pressure that way.

Either way you do it, remember you have fuel under low pressure here and possibly a hot engine or exhaust manifolds so be careful.

I prefer the above method, but this will work too.

18. You failed to mention spring claw, you can't always retrieve a lost screw or whatever with a magnet and a spring claw is a must have.

19. n847

n847

You guys are right on! The spring claw is a priceless tool!

While your talking about magnets. I would say a magnetic tray is a must have you can pick up the little 3 or 4" trays for like 2 bucks at Harbor Freight. You can stick them to the fender and place all your little nuts bolts and screws on there and not wonder where they rolled off to!

I would never want to be without a multi-meter but a test light is a very valuable tool to have as well, especailly on the side of the road!

20. A dumb chick with a wet finger works real to test for spark. :D

21. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Good thread. I'll be returning to this to read later.

22. BOTH AWESOME TIPS, thanks guyz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll add another myself, a set of JUMPER WIRES, not jumper cables but jumper wires. Take about 4 feet each of RED and BLACK 14 gauge primary wire and crimp on roach clips, I mean alligator clips on each of the 4 ends. Must have in every tool box. Total investment around $5.00.

23. Here are a couple more must haves:

CALCULATOR
    ROLL DUCT TAPE
    ROLL ELECTRICAL TAPE
    ROLL MASKING or PAINTERS TAPE
    JB WELD or OTHER BRAND 2 PART EPOXY
    MECHANICS WIRE
    ASSORTMENT of VACUUM LINE/FITTING PLUGS

Lastly my favorite:

GOLF TEE- for plugging the vacuum advance hose when setting ignition timing

Remember guys this is just your beginner ENGINE or TUNE UP box, later we can do a general beginner vehicle or maintanence box as well.

24. Monolith

Monolith

I really appreciate this thread-being a self taught novice I know there are huge gaps in my basic knowledge.
    Looking forward to learning more.

25. Thank you to everyone who posted a thank you and or will be following the threads!!!!

26. oj

oj

In the smell tool, we all know what rich idle smells like. Lean has a smell too, it is more a taste and sticks to the roof of your mouth. For real.

27. Thanks oj, I always thought " lean " had a smell like that of burning hundred dollar bills :eek::eek::eek::eek: ;)

28. wallyringo

wallyringo

couple things to add when doing the timing, have some sand paper in your tool box, great for cleaning points and finding the timing marks on the harmonic balancer, also a grease pencil or chalk to mark you timing line. And Really IMPORTANT eye protection, put on the saftey glasses. Have em in your tool box.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  29. You can also buy a Vacuum gauge that is also a fuel pressure gauge, I have two old ones - One is Craftsman and the other is Snap On

30. Subscribed. Hopefully we can eventually get into a basic tuneup. Alot of folks know how to change points and set them with a feeler guage but have no idea how to use a dwell meter. Also, a vaccumm guage is a FANTASTIC tool if you know how to use it and interpet it.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012