Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hamb Relay: Arson County,NC- FtW, Tx

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mazboi, May 23, 2006.

1. mazboi

mazboi
    from Austin, Tx

Im looking at buying a wagon from Switchblade327. I need to see what it will take to get it to Texas from NC. Thanks in advance for any help.

2. murph

murph

I'm further north than Justin, so can't help with the relay, but...

You might try calling King's Transport out of Houston. I was very satisfied with their service and the price was reasonable for shipping a vehicle from CA to NC. It was open carrier and it arrived with no problems in about a week. Here's their contact info:

Kings Transport (ask for Robert)
    Houston, TX

I've seen Justin's paint work in person - you won't be disappointed. Good luck!

-murph

3. luckystiff

luckystiff

first let me correct you and say it's ANSON county not arson although there may be some arson going on there haha. secondly have you checked with any shippers? with the deal he letting that car go for you could pay a decent shipper and still come out ahead of the game. i shipped a car from NM to NC in nov through one of the mid range price wise but quick shippers. my car never changed trucks(important and it was picked up on sat in NM and i was driving it tues morn in NC. Perry Auto transport out of GA(706-965-9052) moved it for me. i can't find his info but i'll dig more there is a guy named rick who runs an operation known as rusty tubs who hauls coast to coast weekly. he specializes in porsches and vw's but hauls everything. i know he follows the lower path through texas and when i was looking at a car in the LA are he quoted 1000 coast to coast. he's got an ad in the classifieds on thesamba.com in the services section. you should be able to move that car through a good quick carrier for less than a grand. probably 600-800 and have it moved pretty quick to. if i wasn't trying to sell at least 2 cars myself i'd probably buy the car from him. even with what you'd have in it shipped it'd still be a good deal...ken....

4. murph

murph

Ken makes a number of excellent points. I also know that fuel costs are killing the smaller independent guys, which is the ONLY reason I didn't mention the HAMB's own BenD. The same probably goes for Ken too. There are a number of small(ish) shippers that make regular runs, with multi-car carriers that can likely meet your cost/delivery needs.

I don't know what kind of mileage Justin's wagon gets, but if you try to move the car "relay style", then you basically have to account for fuel costs in BOTH directions (assumes the car gets relayed via pairs of HAMBers, who drive segments in the wagon plus a "return" vehicle). Assuming 1000 miles between Monroe, NC and Dallas, TX (2000 miles in both directions), 15 mpg, and $3/gallon, you're looking at about $500 in actual fuel costs. If the car is "hop in and go ready", you could fly to NC and drive home (or have Justin do it in reverse), which cuts the fuel cost in half, but then you're buying a plane ticket.

After calling Kings and the shippers Ken listed, you might find that shipping isn't much more than relaying or driving/flying to get the car.

-murph

5. luckystiff

luckystiff

yeah it's hard for the little guys now. i actually know a independant in charlotte. he hauls 1 car at a time. it gets pulled on the hauler and never leaves until it reaches it's destination. $1.25 per loaded mile and he may be going to $1.50 soon because fuel is killing him. if he has a return haul coming back he ill work with you as best he can. but like murph said if you count $500 in fuel cost. wear and tear on the hauler. etc. that 3-4 day run will only make him a few hundred bucks. gas price is making it a loosing game for alot of those guys.

i'll throw another one and this is totally if justin wanted to bother with it. i'm just putting it out there. i don't know what you plan wheel wise but i'm pulling the supremes from my buick to run skylark wires when it's redone. so for some cash and the wheels on the wagon it could show up wearing supremes. you'd have a pretty much done car. only problem i have the GOOD supremes with al the gussets and shit and i ain't giving them away. probably something like the wheels on the wagon and $400-500 or something. just throwing it out there. still do the math. for less than $6500 you could have it bought sitting on supremes and skinnies sitting in your driveway. i can't believe this car has sat unsold for this long. people are dumb...ken....

6. BenD

BenD
    Alliance Member

Fuel is the killer right now.

I'm charging $.85 per loaded mile and pull one at a time. Most likely the car never leaves the trailer til it gets to the final destination. If it does, it's in my own driveway until I can finish the run and that's always cleared beforehand. Like it or not you get personalized service.

And, yeah I've had a few that considered that outrageous pricing. :rolleyes:

I'd offer up on this one but I'm pretty solid til into July.

BenD

7. luckystiff

luckystiff

i dug around and the only pic i could find was this one. the wheels and tires all have maybe 5k on them. they are about 6 years old. but the car has been driven little and has been in inside storage for 3 or so years. it literally has been driven 4 times in the last 3 years. the nailhead died almost 2 years ago and it has sat since waiting a rebuild.

these are the supremes from the guy in NY who owns all the original toolings and shit and has them made at Allied. his have more gussets in the spokes. they are strong. i've got a buddy who put a set of his wheels on a juiced impala around the same time and hops it and the wheels still hold straight and true after several years of abuse. mine never saw abuse other than driving a dropped car. again i'm just throwing this out there. if it's trouble that justin doesn't want to deal with then so be it. it's the only set of wheels i have for the car right now which is why it's have to be a cash and trade situation. otherwise it'll sit on them til i swap to wires and then i'll sell them. oh yeah the tires are Cooper Trendsetters 205/70/15...ken....

Attached Files:

8. luckystiff

luckystiff

oh and i forgot to say......

BenD .85 a mile. man i applaude(sp?) you. i don't know any idependants that will haul for that these days. like i said most folks i know are $1-$1.25 easy and still stay busy. man thats worth the wait for those rates...ken....