Register now to get rid of these ads!

HAMB HISTORIANS HELP -Finest Merc gathering around ~ 60th Anniversary of the 49 Merc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by axle, Oct 24, 2008.

1. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Two more cars confirmed !

Terry Hegman 51 Merc (was in Hop Up)

Gene Winfields "California Gold" Merc - owned by Bill Wolf.

:)

Axle

2. Choptop

Choptop

its not a "custom" or historically significant but it is a period correct Merc hot rod (offy heads, twin 97's, Fentons, Smithy's, 3sdp O/D, lowered 2 in.)

could have it at Cal Expo if ya want it.

[​IMG]

3. DEROSAGIRL

DEROSAGIRL

That is going to an AWESOME addition to the show this year! Can't wait to see the collection of Mercs! Great idea!

4. DEROSAGIRL

DEROSAGIRL

No~ actually it wouldn't be concidered King of Mercs iii since it was called "Merc 4" hence the # doors it had. :)It was gold flake with graphics in paint. Very 70's and radical...and later black (for a day or two) and then orange. I know because I wet sanded the car. That car is now in Blackies personal collection along with the Golden Piranha.

5. 00 MACK

00 MACK

I think the Purple 51 blew it and the 40 away.Thats the one that should be restored for the show.Its the best DeRosamobile.The flames are fun but the car too serious for that.It would be awesome in purple again.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2008
  6. You know I will!!! Hope to get a big caravan together...

7. socalmerc

socalmerc
    from socal

damn i'm gonna have to finish my dads 50 so he can do the parking lot section.
    what is the official cut off year to make the parking lot section?

8. Axle, you have the Hirohata on the list of those in the show. It has been mentioned to get Jack Walker's clone, too. Have you talked to him also? Just wasn't sure since you didn't mention the clone specifically on the list. I second the motion for both cars.

9. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Bob, I am officially nominating you "outside Merc display organizer"

SocalMerc, How about 1939-1959 ?

DrDave, I appreciate the suggestion, I'll have to see how everyone feels about it.

thanks, Axle

Last edited: Oct 30, 2008
  10. socalmerc

socalmerc
    from socal

hey axle your the boss on this one i just wanted to see if my 53 merc was in the age group. as long as there is a load of mercs I'm happy :D:D

11. Rikster

Rikster

I would love to see those together, and I think a lot of other people would like that too. But I think I have read in one of the excelent Rodder's Journal articles on the Hirohata Mercury that Jim McNiel was not particular happy the photos that somebody took of the unrestored car back in the 80's where used to built the clone. So I think this should be researched good. Its not worth to upset some people about this.

12. lazyv8

lazyv8

AXLE.. we are currently restoring stardust.... ted stevens purchased it last year at the monterey auction...brizio fixed the hack job of a chassis,and we got it a week ago to fix all the bodywork and repaint.itis said to be at gnrs on display??? if its done.try and call roy brizio to get more info on it,they will be putting it back together after we get done...

13. I had forgotten that, Rikster....you are right. That was either stated in RJ or in one of the R&C articles when Jim first brought the car back out. I would sure talk to Jim first to see if he is ok with that, but it sure would be cool to see them both together. For so long, all we had was Jack's clone to be able to see the car "in the flesh" beyond old pictures. The first time I saw it, I completely flipped and shot several rolls of film....after putting my eyeballs back in their sockets. :)

14. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Thanks for posting here. D'Agostino made me aware that the car was currently at Roy Brizio's getting revamped. John Buck (producer of GNRS & Sacto) will be seeing Brizio at Sema and will get an update. I want Stardust in there ! D'Agostino is trying to get "Midnight Sensation" out here also !

Personally, i would pass on GNRS and just debut the Merc at this prestigious gathering.
    All the best,Axle

15. axle

axle
    from Drag City

1939 - 1959 it is, so long as they're customs.

Thanks

16. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

Hey, how about the coachcraft 40 merc? I think it should be included!

Attached Files:

17. 53chevy

53chevy

Yes! I know two guys that helped on that Coach Craft Mercury, I'll check for info. Hey Kevin, any changes on your Merc? The last I saw were on King Customs website and seems to offline and was awhile back too. I wish I could finish my Zaro/Andril inspired Custom by then, at least to drive up and bask in the Glory of all things Customs.

Ken

18. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

Thats cool, I would love to see it in the show! Im in the garage every night workin on the merc so hopefully I can make it happen! There was quite a bit of rust in the rear floor so im just dealing with that right now. Not fun work but it needs to be done!

19. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

How about this one for that early 60's show car look?

Attached Files:

20. rodbuilder

rodbuilder

The heart like a wheel movie car was owned up till about four or five years ago by a guy last name Connley out of the Bloomington Ill area he sold it I might have his number someplace, maybe, I know the car was repainted like a candy red the last I seen it. Let me know or PM me if you need more info for me to look up.

21. CHOPMERC

CHOPMERC

hehe....I appreciate the sentiment, but my old Merc does not belong with the cars mentioned here....

22. socalmerc

socalmerc
    from socal

what you think it's to good to come out and play?:D:D
    just messing with you. that is a great car to represent the 60's era of customs.
    by the way is that a 64 riviera bumper?

23. CHOPMERC

CHOPMERC

I'd love to, but I sold it to a guy in Texas 4 years ago....Yup, the car had 64 Rivi bumpers front and rear...

24. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Kevan, The Coachcraft 40 Merc is in !

Rodbuilder, If you are 100% sure the "Heart like a wheel" Merc has been changed & painted red i can't have it in the show.

CHOPMERC, We would consider a 60's style Merc like this. Do you know the present where abouts and condition of your old car?

Axle

25. rodbuilder

rodbuilder

Axle, Went I had last seen it a handfull of years ago its was very nice, but yes it was not the same colors as in the movie, he had all the documentation that he showed it with, I had delt with the guy for a while, wanted to build a sled, but it never worked out. I don't know where it went, and I can not seem to find his number I know his name was Chuck (Charles) Conely or Connely, but guess it don't matter if it has been changed.

26. 00 MACK

00 MACK

The car was definitely repainted completely different.Its now candy red with a Desoto grille.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2008
  27. CHOPMERC

CHOPMERC

Axle, the car is in Texas..I have the current owners info, I just have to dig around for it...As far as the current condition, I'm not really sure...I'll try to find out...

And I just want to say that even the mildest interest in my old Merc for something like this is overwhelming to me...I put my heart & soul into that car.....wow.......

28. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

Hey Axle, lets not forget this little gem! But I think it would only be cool if the pock faced dude in the movie was there sittin in the car the whole time!

Attached Files:

29. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

That car stopped me in my tracks teh first time I saw it, definately deserving of recognition Bob.

30. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Funny man, i thought of that car last night as i was getting ready for bed. Wonder where it is today? if anyone would know it would be Jose & Javier Mejia !

This would be a question for OO Mack or Robbie, but i wonder if there was ever a Merc that had flames painted on it back in the 50's ?

Seems as though you didn't see that until someone made a film in the 70's or 80's.....about the 50's....ha ha ha ha ha.