Register now to get rid of these ads!

hamb friendly motor homes? can we start a pic thread?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1950coronet600hp, Dec 9, 2010.

1. Oilcan Harry

Oilcan Harry
    from INDY

I think they're 54 Nash grills.

2. 62rebel

62rebel

whoa... talk about having a few blind spots.... there's a good heater in it, though!

3. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

This one was posted on the Tin Can Tourists Facebook page this morning:

[​IMG]

It's a 1965 Bud Coons Dreamer. Bud Coons was an early NHRA official - how's that for HAMB friendly!

4. 62rebel

62rebel

swap those appliance rims out and she'd be the cat's ass.

5. bobadame

bobadame

Here's mine. It needs a bit of work. I just moved it from my old shop where it sat for the last 15 years to my new place. I'll start on it as soon as I finish my NEW CYCLECAR.

Attached Files:

6. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Now thats a pretty high cool factor there! How about a Vista roof?

7. El Jefe ATX

El Jefe ATX
    from Austin TX

I know I'm responding to a 2 year old post, but I'm new, just found this thread and I can tell you what the neighbors thought because I was a neighbor.

I don't know how or where it was created, but I know it was rusting hulk in 1989 perched atop a hill near Charlotte NC. I lived in a small house on Mountain Island Lake just outside Charlotte, and right beside me through a tree line was an infamous biker bar with a huge beach called Hubie's Bubble-up. I moved in shortly after Hurricane Hugo which did a ton of damage to the area and really did a massive wipe-out job on Hubie's. Nonetheless, Hubie kept the place open without doing any repairs and had about 20 camper shells and decrepit trailers he rented out to homeless people, bikers and junkies.

I approached that beast once to explore it but turned back because of sawgrass and chiggers. Couldn't get near it, but by the time I had seen it the first time in 1989, I could tell it was all rusted out and useless.

Hubie was known to buy stuff like that and then just let the weeds and rust eat it.

Everything's been torn down and towed away now but here's the spot on Google maps:

http://goo.gl/maps/kG2Qx

The bus was up on the hill over the highway as an advertisement for the bar right by the dirt driveway.

I lived in the house with the white boat in front of the dock. A couple of those houses weren't there at the time.

A quick google search brought up this random person's blog with a few more pictures and more on the history of the beast (although they misidentify it's location as Denver NC, that's a little further up the road).

http://www.laurenscorijn.com/crazy-gmc-bus.html

[​IMG]

According to the blog post itv has gone to the crusher. RIP beast bus thing.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2013
  8. janbuick

janbuick

this is or was a great machine

9. 30FordNerd

30FordNerd

Could this fit into this thread?

Attached Files:

10. This is the Bus my wife got for me. someone at one time tried to turn it into a camper. it now is storage for her grandma. The insides look great, some of the ungreatful kids runing around there broke some of the windows. We have a temporary patch, but like I said temporary. As soon as I get away to move it to her dads house and get all the crap out of it, I will start the fun of making it a camper again.

[​IMG]

11. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

I saw these at the Macungie truck show a few weeks ago. The bus could be a cool camper.

Attached Files:

12. elba

elba

I saw this one at Sun and Fun EAA in Lakeland[​IMG]

13. Not HAMB friendly, but a member, and 1/2 owner of the avatar pic:D

Attached Files:

14. randydupree

randydupree
    from archer fl

heres my 1971 Wanderlodge,pusher,air ride,air brakes.

Attached Files:

15. bobadame

bobadame

Flxible actually made a few of these with Vista windows. They were called Starliners. I've installed brackets on the roof of mine for 4 solar panels so the roof needs to remain flat, a total of 300 watts.

http://home.comcast.net/~robmorg/oldmh/oldmh.htm

Here's a link to some very cool early motor homes.

Attached Files:

16. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

HAMB-friendly? I don't know but it's from the '50s, retro-style, and would make a cool motorhome, imo. It's a SETRA, German-made, probably late fifties, rear-engined diesel-powered, and sitting on private property in Arizona, (but I can't tell you where).

Attached Files:

17. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

I like that !!!
    Nice job, and really cool looking too...

18. TOMMAY

TOMMAY
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from MOBILE,AL

Just looked at the rest of the camper pics in your album. This thing is just outstanding,love to know more of the story on it.

19. ME.GASSER

ME.GASSER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very cool link. There is some very interesting stuff on there.

20. El Jefe ATX

El Jefe ATX
    from Austin TX

21. timcankustomerc

timcankustomerc
    from riv,cal.

Our 40 GMC and 69 Pace Arrow

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. b-bop

b-bop

23. Twisted6

Twisted6

24. bingo66

bingo66

Just joined so great to see this thread.

This is my Flxible Custom Coach project I'm currently working on. The bus was due to go to the crusher so had no choice but to buy it:)

It's my first project so quite a handful for a novice. The Flxible was sat in the California desert for over 35 years so took some effort just to get it onto the truck.

At the moment the bus has had all of the engine, fuel system, brakes, axles, suspension and come to think of it, almost everything else either replaced or rebuilt. As you can hear from the video, it's running very smooth now and is stripped, sandblasted and ready for the loooong job of preparing for paint.

The guys who stripped the bus were amazed at the lack of any real rust areas!

I'm going to keep to the original blue and white paint scheme with most of the exterior fixings (fenders, wiper arms, mirrors etc) in chrome.

The interior will be a custom RV conversion with a Route 66 kind of feel to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtS0-NwWwS4&feature

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. I actually saw a Flxible bus driving down the highway the other day... looked damn cool.

26. 62rebel

62rebel

those Flxibles are awesome. forty acres of polishing, but awesome!

27. bingo66

bingo66

I'm trying to track down an old RV which has been abandoned in a farm shed somewhere in Northern Ireland. I've got nowhere with trying to track the vehicle down in Ireland so thought I would go the other way and try and find the owner in the USA who sold the vehicle to the UK buyer and I might at least get the name of the guy in Ireland who bought it.

It would be a shame for this great iconic American vehicle to just rot away. Would love the chance to restore it (once my other Flxible is done of course!!:))

All I have is a few pictures and thought someone on here could tell me which state the licence plate is from? At least that would give me a start.

This is the forum thread that started me off on the search:

http://community.fmca.com/topic/3424-found-1953-flxible-motorhome/

Apologies if this is in the wrong part of the forum.

Attached Files:

28. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

Sold at a local Auction this past weekend and currently being dismantled. Built on an L29 Cord chassis. Engine is not L29 Cord or Lycoming. Pictures courtesy of Jim Arneson.

Attached Files:

29. b-bop

b-bop

Sorting through some pics today. Ran across a couple I took on this summers travels. The brown box is made by Clarke, the same guys that build forklifts. Cool camper. Front wheel drive with a Chrysler slant 6. The Travco was in awesome shape. Young couple that owned it where a gas to talk with.

Attached Files:

30. jaygryph

jaygryph
    from oregon

I don't know if any of you have seen this, but I have my own UltraVan. I don't think I've posted it here before. My folks owned it when I was little, sold it, and when I had a hankerin' for a weird RV of my own I discovered it was still around, so I bought it and managed to wrangle it back north and home. I'm glad I got it when I did, because a hoarder of them in Canada was tryin' real hard to drag it across the border to rot with all his other hacked up ones.

I'm much happier with it rotting at home with all my own hacked up projects. ;)

https://imgur.com/a/L6JkB

Here's the write up I did on it back when I got it. The first half is more interesting than the second half, and that's what's linked.

I saw someone else on here has one with a stock drivetrain but wants to swap it out to modern chevy drivetrain. Don't.

These were never intended to be water pumpers, or to have anything other than the light weight, air cooled, rear engine Corvair engine. Removing and reengineering that aircraft like body to work with a modern powerplant takes EXTENSIVE fabrication, for relatively little gain. I've seen far far too many that languished and got parted out or scrapped because someone had a better idea than the engine the entire vehicle was designed around.

Now, if ya have those skills, by all means. Make it your own. It's your vehicle after all. I'm simply saying they already tried to make some V8 powered, in various forms, and they tend to catch on fire, break in half, or break in half then catch on fire.

Also like, you entirely lose, and have to split up, your nice giant sized bed at the back if you stick anything other than a flat engine in that area. Two singles ain't no fun unless ya put em both in the same bed.

Modern flat engines are another matter, they fit well, can make a lot of power, but you're going to need to figure out water cooling, which is something that coach was never intended to have installed.

Anyway, here's that link again. https://imgur.com/a/L6JkB Enjoy :)

Dusty-NZ and LowKat like this.