Register now to get rid of these ads!

HAMB Drags Silet Auction

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stan292, Jul 26, 2006.

1. stan292

stan292

Gang -

For the third year, I will be "hosting" a silent auction at the HAMB drags.

The idea is to provide an opportuntity for those who attend to pick up some cool stuff for cheap - with 100% of the reciepts going directly to support the HAMB.

In the past two years, we have collected about $175 each time (with the sale of just a handful of donated items). Frankly, I think this is "chump change" in regard to what it could be. One reason it hasn't necessarily caught on bigtime, is probably lack of proper notice. That's why I'm jumping in early this year.

Here's the deal. Look around your home or shop for an item or two you think would be appropriate to kick in to the "Silent Auction Kitty" at the races. If you're attending, simply bring it along and drop it off when you get to the track. If you can't make it to MoKan, you're still welcome to participate. Give your donation to your buddy who is going to bring along, or box the item up and send it to me at: 510 Allen in Firth, Nebraska (68358). I'll be sure it gets included.

Obviously, smaller-scale stuff works best - items that aren't too big for someone to drag home in the trunk of their daily driver - or hot rod. In the past we've had a variety of items, such as - window crank sets, die-cast cars, artwork, shift knobs, '"vintage" car magazines, gauges, a flattie starter, a runningboard-mounted tool box, floor shifters, chrome gee-gaws, decals, etc., etc. You get the idea. Be creative.

You write your bid down in a notebook, so everyone has a fair chance to see exactly where the current bid is at. Just remember, this is about raising support for the HAMB as much as it is about "winning" an item. You'll likely note some fairly generous bids - and that's a good thing. Winners are announced around 9:00 P.M. (yeah - you gotta be there to collect your stuff).

So...before you leave home for MoKan, grab a thing or two off your storage shelf to donate, put an extra twenty ($50?) in your pocket to use as bid money, and look for my little red S-10 pickup (plastered with day-glo signs - see attached photo) in the pits.

Oh yeah. Stopping by to check out the swag is also a great opportunity to socialize (there was free beer last year! Who knows? It may happen again), and meet fellow HAMBers.

Hope to see ya' there!

Attached Files:

2. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

I'll have an item or two, and will also be willing to haul stuff in from Ciincinnati area.
    Glenn