Register now to get rid of these ads!

HAMB CHOP- PLEASE READ THIS VERY IMPORTANT!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chopt50, Jun 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chopt50

chopt50
    BANNED

This is the first chance I have had to let everyone know that Karl and Kristy WILL NOT be participating with their 52 Pontiac in the hamb chop.

I am forwarding this post for them myself, a good friend, as they have no computer access to let everyone know first hand. They have been in the process of moving and some plans fell through, so they are temporarily living in a motel in Old Town Temecula.

We apologize for any inconvenience and also for the late notice.

PLease go ahead and line up a back up car anyway.

Now, for my opinion, and theis has NOTHING to do with Karl and Kristy....
    Having done a few chops myself, and knowing what time and material is involved, I find it obsurd that there is a $1,000 fee for the recipient of the chop. I am not aware if that is made public to all on the forum or not, but there should be nowhere near that amount of money required for materials to chop a car. I do understand paying for the food and drinks and provisions, but even those could not add up to $1,000...

And, chopping a top in 2 days?! NO WAY POSSIBLE and still be done right. I don't care what anyone says, it cannot be done the best way possible in two days, and by no means possibly be finished.

Well, good luck to whoever gets their chop done, and I hope you guys can still have your party with another car... Just doesn't sound realistic to me. [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. My 2 cents...
    I've never chopped a car, but I bet its easy to get up to 1000. Youre talking more professional supplies than pep boys 5.00 pack of sand paper and a can of bondo... and the food and shirts cost too.
    2 or 3 of us go to the friggin swap meet for a 2 dayer, and it costs around 100, if not more... More people cost more.
    And I doubt the guys putting on the event would advertise it if they expected to do a shitty job. Ask the people whose car they did last year...

Oh ye of little faith.... [​IMG]

3. SwitchBlade327

SwitchBlade327

two days is plenty with guys who knwo what the hell they're doing. and the chop isn't FINISHED in that time, just all the hard work done. There would still be some metalwork, and filler work to be done before you could call it finished. Also, if you know how much getting a chop done in a shop costs, you know it's ALOT more that $1000....no one makes money off this deal.

4. chopt50

chopt50
    BANNED

[ QUOTE ]
    My 2 cents...
    I've never chopped a car, but I bet its easy to get up to 1000. Youre talking more professional supplies than pep boys 5.00 pack of sand paper and a can of bondo... and the food and shirts cost too.
    2 or 3 of us go to the friggin swap meet for a 2 dayer, and it costs around 100, if not more... More people cost more.
    And I doubt the guys putting on the event would advertise it if they expected to do a shitty job. Ask the people whose car they did last year...

Oh ye of little faith.... [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right.. I don't have faith in something of this nature. And I still cannot fathom spending $1,000 for shirts and food and drinks. Whatever.

Oh yeah, did last year's car get finished? If not COMPLETELY FINISH WELDED in the time frame set up for the event? There is absolutely no way possible to finish weld a chop 100% in one weekend.

Also, I never accused anybody of doing shitty work, I just had no faith in getting the job done. Also, there is a lot more to chopping a top then just making it shorter- you must have a good profile and shape or you are wasting your time. Anyway, I don't want to start a big long stupid post on this as I have seen fire up on the hamb. I just wanted to let everyone know that the plans have changed. Thanks for your time... [​IMG]

5. chopt50

chopt50
    BANNED

[ QUOTE ]
    two days is plenty with guys who knwo what the hell they're doing. and the chop isn't FINISHED in that time, just all the hard work done. There would still be some metalwork, and filler work to be done before you could call it finished. Also, if you know how much getting a chop done in a shop costs, you know it's ALOT more that $1000....no one makes money off this deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am very well aware of what a chop costs nowadays, but wouldn't you rather save the rest of the money and get a finished chop provided you do not know what you were doing and your car was the candidate for the hamb chop in the first place?
    You yourslef said that the chop will now be finished and may require some metalwork... to me that is not even worth $1,000.
    I am not accusing anyone of skimming money off this deal, but $1,000 is out of line for having people chop your top in a weekend, no matter what stage of completion the work gets to, because it will NOT be completely finish welded, and that, to me, is the most important part and the most work. My opinion, and I am sure that many others share it...

6. Fat Cat

Fat Cat

Just how much would you figure the food for a 2-2 1/2 day gig would run you?

$250 is not out of line. Another $300 in shirts. Gee we're half way there

7. praisethelowered

praisethelowered

In my mind killer is straight up untill proven otherwise. He certainly has been generous to others on here enough times to deserve the benefit of the doubt. It's pretty pissy to be such a bean counter about it.

8. yorgatron

yorgatron
    Member Emeritus

[ QUOTE ]
    Just doesn't sound realistic to me.

[/ QUOTE ] did you show up for either of the other 2 hambchops? unless you've seen it done i could understand the skepticism. HOWEVER,it has been done,twice so far.it's also been well documented,on the hamb and in the pages of Car Kulture DeLuxe.i was lucky enough to be there both times.you get 20 people working on a car for two 16 hour days and you end up with a pretty nice job for cheap.go ask Gene Winfield what he'd want for the same amount of work,alot more than $1000 i bet.i hope you didn't talk them out of it because you didn't like the price,because that would be stupid-george

9. daign

daign
    from socal

What the hell do you gain by posting this type of crap. If you doubt Killer or anyone else's intentions why don't you take it up with them. $1000 was a rough estimate for the shirts, supplies and everything else, not a 'quoted' price from a freakin shop. What it came to about last year from what I understand. Seems like you just enjoy stirring a pot? You should have done your research about past hambchops before opening your mouth. Hambchop was cancelled about a week back regardless.

I can't believe i bothered responding to you. Maybe you just need some education. Poorboy was the last recipient. See his comments.

10. SwitchBlade327

SwitchBlade327

yorg said was I was trying to say, better than I said it. I'd be as happy as a retard in a room full of bouncy balls if I could get the amount of work that's pulledoff in two days done via hambchop for a grand, it'd take me a few weeks at least to pull it off alone.....

11. yorgatron

yorgatron
    Member Emeritus

BTW i spent a LOT of my own personal cash on gas to get there and back AND chipped in out of MY pocket for B-B-Q stuff and bottled water [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. yorgatron

yorgatron
    Member Emeritus

13. yorgatron

yorgatron
    Member Emeritus

AND i drove all night to get there. [​IMG]

14. TINGLER

TINGLER

I was under the impression that the $1000 was a suggestion and not a requirement. It was simply the cost of supplys.

I'm gonna start a Middle Tennessee Hamb chop. Bring your heap over and for $200 worth of beer, I'll chop it by myself in an hour. (after I drink the beer) [​IMG]

15. I can't say how long or how much a chop should cost since I've never done one, but a good while back I asked a friend of mine (who's dad owns and runs a resto shop) if they'd ever done a chop before. He told me they did a Merc that the final cost came to over $3000 and it took 3 months. But I'm pretty sure that included everything (glass, paint, overhead etc.). I also know that they screwed up the back window frame (how the heck) and had to go find another to replace it. I honestly wouldn't want them to chop the top on a roadster for any price. I would think that these guys can do the job right since it isn't their car and they have done it before.

Just 2 more cents in the pot

16. Berdoo John

Berdoo John

Interesting change of attitude about the HAMBChop:
    "I would love to help out on the chop as I know Kristy and Karl and they are great people.."

As for the level of completion and quality, look at the pics, cause I'm assuming you have not:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=415003&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=2&vc=1

The smiles on Poorboy's and Peter's faces on Sunday afternoon indicated to me that their money was well spent.

I have other things on my mind to write but I will leave it at that.

17. FWilliams

FWilliams

what an ass, please go research your facts, then go away

18. HAMBchop is a great thing regardless. I followed the first one right through with Pete. I know he was pretty stoked about it. Don't know if was EVER intended to be a completely finshed chop.

Seems strange to start a pissy post like this....??????

19. RocketDaemon

RocketDaemon
    from Sweden

Viva hamb chop
    i love the concept and both hamb chops seems to have gone very well, and 1000 bux for food and supplies for like 20 people doesn't seem wierd to me, the guys involved have full respect and everything from me atleast... looking forward to see pics of this years hambchop when its over [​IMG]

20. ESnacky6

ESnacky6

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB1&Number=317635&Forum=All_Forums&Words=4456&Match=Username&Searchpage=1&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=317635&Search=true#Post317635

Hey chopt50, you ASSWIPE...
    Didn't Ryan basically tell you
    to SHUT THE FUCK UP OR GO AWAY a while back..??

You don't have anything better to do than
    question people's abilities, complain about shit,
    and repeatedly post negative comments..??

GET A FUCKING LIFE ALREADY..??!!!??

Live and let live, quit stirring the pot,
    and go back to CHOKING DOWN collective MILES
    of COCK instead of WASTING OUR TIME..!!!!

We all know the Hamb Chop has been cancelled a week ago...
    no need to rehash and throw out USELESS, NEGATIVE opinions...

Thank you, please drive thru.... Damn...

21. In the subject line you said to 'PLEASE READ THIS VERY IMPORTANT'. I'm still waiting for the important part to come. What made you the warm centre that life crowds around. It all sounds like reasonable deal to me. Go away jack ass!!!!

22. And who the fuck gave this thread a god damn star rating!!!

23. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

First I heard of the $1000.

When I was trying to get a Mid-Am HAMBchop going I spoke with Killer at length about how to pull it off.

He never mentioned $1000.

We were all just going to figure out what it takes and everyone show up with something.

PRETTYMAN was going to supply food, BEER, and places to crash.

Of course, we have NO CLUE what we are doing! [​IMG]

But, that's part of the fun.

I can say this about HAMB get together events,
    if you are the recipient, you had better follow through with what you say you are going to do instead of leaving the host holding the bag.

Cuz that is some serious bull shit.

Oh yeah, as the others have said, nice timing.

You be sure to let us know when the apocalypse is coming.

RASHY

24. I was reading this over breakfast...

I have a bowl of Corn Flakes here.

Hey Chopt50, would you like to come over and shit in them?

25. JimC

JimC
    from W.C.,Mo.

I have not been involved with either H.A.M.B. chop.
    But, I have seen two chops and a section job pulled off in a three day weekend at Branson, Mo. at three separate "Cruisin Branson Lights" by Eldon Titus and just a few others helping him.
    I have been witness to the "Big Olds Thrash" just recently.
    It is unbelievable the amount of work that can be accomplished in a day or three by a group.
    I am not an experienced body shop appraiser, but do know that supplies, food, and drink cost money.
    Add t shirts with printing costs and the price can easily near or top a grand.
    In a reply to one of the posts requesting or giving information about the proposed chop, the sum of $1000.00 was mentioned.
    Ryan questioned it, and received a reply that it was informational to let the folks with the car know what they might need to spend.
    At NO time did Killer or anyone else, to my knowledge, suggest or imply that a profit was to be made on the chop.
    I would have loved to had my 47 top chopped by this group, but distance is prohibitive.
    Chopt50, If you can do the work and at the quality you imply, I will give you $1000.00 for the job, and you can keep all over the actual cost.
    Want the job?
    Didn't think so [​IMG].

Please do us all a favor and ask Ryan to lock this post or remove it entirely.
    Jim

26. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

You obviously have no idea what you are talking about. So please don't go away mad, just f#ckin' go away...

27. autocol

autocol

i will say, for what i believe is the third time, that in my most humble of opinions, you are the biggest dick on the HAMB.

28. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I can add some insight to cost involved. For Big Olds' ONE DAY thrash I spent $320.00 at Painters Supply on sand paper disks,flat board paper, filler, primer, paper, tape, etc. This was not even everything that was needed, we still borrowed stuff from Fab32 and others that brought supplies. I also spent over $100 on food and beverages for just that one day! Add that together, that's $420 for one day's "work", no t-shirts involved. A weekend chop, with all the materials, t-shirts, food and beverages for 20 people can easily reach $1000 and is not unrealistic.

Yes, $1000 is alot of money no matter what your going to do with it but to get a chop done on your car for that amount of money is cheap. In this hobby, you gotta pay to play if you can't do the work yourself.

CHOP ON!

29. Nick32vic

Nick32vic

Last year our car club chopped a club members 40 Chevy Sedan. It took less than a day, we had barbeque and about 20 guys. Its not unrealistic.

30. Killer

Killer

fuck you.

I bust my fuckin ass for an entire weekend and I get shit from a dumbass whos been involved in "a few chops"??

If I wanted to make money, I'd charge em the $6000 I normally do and tell you all to stay home.

The chop can't be done right???? I started on the passenger door on Poorboys car at 9PM Sat night, fixin it, cause it got tweeked somehow. Cut the whole motherfucking thing apart, fixed it, stayed till 1 in the mornin, made it look good. Cause thats what we do.

This pisses me off, I try to do something cool and get accused of not doing good work or making a profit on it?? I'm sorry I can't spend $1000 of my own money and then spend my time to chop someones car.

From the beginning, it's been known the the chop might not be finished but it will be solid enough to drive and open the doors with out the car falling apart (and both years I have made myself available after the chop to finish anythimng that didn't get done. during the week... you know, that time I'm supposed to use to make money to support my family?). I've also said over and over that the chopee covers food, materials and t-shirts.. you want a fuckin breakdown??

Last year:
    food and drink (no booze) for 30 people for 2 days = $450
    T-shirts = $300
    materials:
    $100 for steel
    $120 for gas and wire for the welders
    $140 for cut off wheels, sanding discs, sawsall blades

Fuck it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.