Register now to get rid of these ads!

HAMB Airbrushers school me please

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gasolinescream, Dec 21, 2011.

1. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

Please keep this coming, i'm sure i'm not the only one learning here.

All this is good news. I already have a fair few tins of 1 -shot and reducers from striping. Just a question whilst talking 1-shot. What rough mix are you doing, how much reducer? I've spoken to a friend in the paint trade today and he can sort out the HOC transparant paints and reducers in small amounts. Going to look at some paint charts and order 6 colours to start playing with.

Compressor wise i have a choice. I already have a hobby jobby and a 5 and a 10 gallon compressor. I'm off to see if i can find the right valve and moisture trap to use on the bigger ones.Hopefully not too much outlay on the compressor side of things. Gun is now ordered aswell.

I know this is going to get expensive though. One i've found from striping is that the better you get, you want more gear and try different things. I only have an expanded starter kit and 4 brushes but throw 14 tins of paint, reducer, cleaner, tapes, etc etc into it and i've got about £500 of pinstripe box.

I have to stress that this is being done at a strictly grass roots level and for pleasure, i just like messing with this kind of thing in my small man cave.

Thanks again for the advice, it's much appreciated, please keep it coming.

:cool:

2. dinokruzordinance

dinokruzordinance

Buttermilk consistance is where I begin. Test spray if its grainy reduce slightly. Youll get the feel. Do not soak ur brush any brush in solvent. It will destroy the delicate o rings and seals. flush solvents before painting or suffer the dreaded fish eye orangepeel etc.

For a paasche coarse pipecleaners and a welding tip cleaner can clear residual paint. Old paasche heads were ported and the welding tip.files cleared those ports easily. New heads have V grooves. Fishing reel lube works for me.

3. 1950 mercury

1950 mercury

One thing you can do is play with the air pressure i set mine between 25 to 35 psi it can help when you are spraying if you have a duell action air brush just remeber to push down on the trigger of the airbrush to have the air going then pull back only a little bit to get the paint coming out so when you leave the air going and you pull back slowly for paint you do not get big blob of paint shotting out the paint shold be about milk consistance hope this helps when you buy a airbrush some have teflon o ring inside that stand up better to solvents you can find more info if you look up who makes the airbrush

4. maybelene

maybelene

I like the Paasche and Iwatas as well. If you are familiar with pinstriping with one shot, I spray it just a little thinner through the airbrush. The water-based paints like createx and wicked colors are great for practice and clean up easily. Airbrush masters magazine is a great how to source as well.

5. metalman

metalman

CH3NO2- I've found affordable and quiet not very doable with compressors. I been using an Iwata compressor in my home studio for years. A little pricy but super quiet (my family loves it, they can still hear the tv while I work) and they are super dependable, mine has a zillon hours on it with zero issues.

Gasolinescream- might consider overspray issues if you're painting in a small man-cave. If you airbrush 1-shot it will cover everything in the room. If use use HOK or other automotive urathane based paints you need to address toxic fumes in a small space.

6. dinokruzordinance

dinokruzordinance

An airhandling system should be part of ur planning. Shooting createx waterbased paints the minimum would be a $8 box fan from walmart and a 20x20 furnance filter. Bandana with dust mask. A $36 dollar gable fan from lowes mounted in a window or garage door to suck exhaust fumes etc out is required for auto paint plus respirator charcoal filter prefilter. That overspray in the air will settle on everything in a gray haze including ur lungs. You got one set so take care of them

7. CliffStieglitz

CliffStieglitz
    from New Jersey

Airbrush Action magazine (established in 1985) and its back issues, are available in digital form online (www.airbrushaction.com) and as an iPad application. Also, one of the best places to learn automotive custom painting hands-on is at the Airbrush Getaway Workshops, held three times yearly in the United States. Again, details are available from the Web address above. Another 'also' (LOL) is that Airbrush Action is the largest producer of instructional DVDs on airbrushing in the world. And you're in luck because we just introduced more than 90 titles online at www.Airbrush.TV for pay-per-view and free streaming. Subjects range from automotive custom painting to T-shirt airbrushing. Please check it out; it's a great selection and it's very inexpensive. I welcome all feedback, so please feel free to e-mail me at [email protected]. Best of luck in your airbrush pursuits.

Regards,
    Cliff Stieglitz
    Publisher
    Airbrush Action Magazine

8. Gman0046

Gman0046

I think good taste air brushing looks great. Saw a small pickup recently that had 55 Chevy side trim air brushed on the rear quarters that looked like the real thing.

9. Frenchy32

Frenchy32
    from arizona

Good luck in your new adventure should be fun but a lot of patience. Here are few pictures of some air brushing I had done a few years ago by a friend here in Chandler AZ,

Thanks
    Frenchy

Attached Files:

10. Zykotec

Zykotec

I'm in the same situation myself right now. As a pretty decent artist with a pencil or computer, I have more or less promised to airbrush a (very Offtopic) bike for a friend as trade in for machining :p Just pick up the airbrush and try, and then practice until perfect :)

11. slammed

slammed

PM Cheezwiz (aka Scott Sullivan) for a tip or two.

12. hotrodchevy

hotrodchevy

xcelant article good imfo. I always used paasch in the 70s but just got a new devilbas dagger plan on practicing again. may do some on my new project trk.

13. Cutlassboy68

Cutlassboy68
    BANNED
    from Boone, Nc

Iwata eclipse... avatar was 90% freehanded with one... practice practice practice... nothing sitting around your house should be safe from getting painted...