Register now to get rid of these ads!

Halt! stop, drop, and grab your knockers...the monthly bangin' meeting is here!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fur biscuit, Jun 5, 2006.

1. Elrod

Elrod

Damn Bobby!

Shesh... Where do you find these things? Is the bar built on some hot rod burial ground and you just go out back every few months and dig out a new OHV conversion and use it for a bar coaster for a few weeks, while you decide what you'll do with it after that???

Wow!

2. Bobby Green

Bobby Green

Dude,..... how did you know?? hahaha.

No but seriously, the way you find stuff is simply talking to people. Be the first person in the swap meet at the crack of dawn, and talk to every old timer there and tell them what your looking for, and you'd be suprised what you can find. And you'll make some good friends in the process, and a couple enemies. LOL.

3. Wildfire

Wildfire

My 1930 tudor with rebuilt banger arrived today! Put a little gas in the tank, opened the valve and she fired right up!

Now I just need to figure out what all the levers and knobs are for...

4. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

man that looks just like someone grafted the heads off of an airplane engine! damn that is cool. was the Miller a SOHC set up?

5. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Hey Them!, send '4-Port Riley' a PM, he's seen more OHV conversions than most and may be able to shed a light on it.

6. UKAde

UKAde
    from Oxford UK

well my 28 roadster is almost here as i type this on thursday it's in it's container in southampton waiting for customs clearence,,

the only problem so far was the customs guy needed a chassis number and as far as i know model a's only have an engine number

7. Nearside top of chassis rail I believe, although it might be hidden by the body.
    It's T's up until around '26 that had no chassis number.

8. Elrod

Elrod

There is a chassis number stamped in the frame UNDER the cowl on the driver's side. You have to remove the body to see it, if it hasn't rusted away like most have...

Engine number and chassis number were the same from the factory. Most likely, the chassis number is now different from the engine number because most of these Model As have received a freshened up motor in their 77 years on the road.

Cheers, and best of luck with that customs official. Enjoy that new A!

9. Ade - that's drivers side on a LHD, your's is RHD, no?
    But yes - forgot to say it's under the body...

10. warbozz

warbozz

I polished up a couple of aluminum banger bits for fellow HAMBer banger owner Enjenjo. The external surfaces had been polished before, but I got everything pretty shiny like.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

11. 4 2 GO

4 2 GO

Left hand drive and right hand drive has chassis number in the same place.

12. jetmek

jetmek

while im not sure, my guess it was intended to be used on Pietenpol? acft. plans were available in the 40's for a homebuilt using model a engines.

13. Yup - like I said, nearside on our roads...
    Hey Clark, what were you searching for to turn that up then? Haven't you enough heartache?
    Ratty hasn't used the blower yet, perhaps you can work it back out of his lockup? Oh, and where did you get the double crank pulley from - is it an off the shelf item?

14. Too right he hasn't used the blower yet because its still sitting in my bedroom!

The double crank pully is from Charlie Yapp, you can get a single if you want.

http://www.secretsofspeed.com/PULLEY.htm

15. jetmek

jetmek

This is for Grandpa's old coupe won't he be surprised!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Nice engine, Jetmek. I can make out the Winfield head, what carb is that? Any other goodies in there? Lovin' the header...

17. jetmek

jetmek

the carb is from a flathead 6 f1 pickup. i have a burns dual with 81's but i think it would be too much. gonna try the 1 brl out. its basically a stock shortblock ported the intakes and put in a winfield su1r grind cam with modern valves and 1 peice guides. 27 lbs off the flywheel and the wico jem mag. also trying out a new silicone coated guaranteed not to weep headgasket. hope it holds together!

18. ~E~

~E~

jetmek- I just bought one of those walbro fuel pumps- beehive style like yours- did you rebuild yours or was it usable?

19. You got me thinking.

I just dug this out.

Obviously its a flathead but the principle is the same.

Made by the Lightning Aircraft Motor Co. You should be able to see in the pictures were large amounts of the block have been cut away and left or replaced with finned aluminium plates.

[​IMG]

20. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

oh damn, that is beautiful!!! i wonder if any survived?? i would love to see an engine detailed out like that.

21. jetmek

jetmek

ive had that in my junkdrawer forever. the rubber was goo and i thought id never find parts but after a internet seach(gotta luv dem compfusers) i found an outfit called auto performance engineering . hes got all the parts to rebuild em. new pumps also. i just placed an order yesterday.

22. jetmek

jetmek

yeah but would you trust you life with that? little hard to pull off the side of the road if it quits. that spinning thing on the front is known as the pilots air conditioner, when it stops he gets pretty hot!

23. ~E~

~E~

Thanks. Mine is a nicely worn black- just like the rest of my '31.

http://www.autoperformanceengineering.com

It is for my banger-staying on topic....pulling the engine next week...Oh Yes!!!!!!

24. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

A pair of 81's is the hot ticket for a banger, but I think I'd try it out with the single carb first, too. Bet ya make the swap though :D

I fitted one of those silicone head gaskets last year and it sealed mine up totally, and my head always weeped, even after having the block faced. I've not tried to take one off yet though.....

25. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

everything lately is top secret until july 15th.unless anybody wishes to come lend a hand preparing for the asphalt invitational.also my computer crashed.i'm writing this at a internet cafe.ugh.....more will be revealed

26. UKAde

UKAde
    from Oxford UK

well my 28 roadster has now cleared customs should be picking it up on thursday ,,, sadly i'm away walking with kids from school ( not very hotrod) so it will have to wait until tuesday for mot ( transport dept test) somehow I only paid £250 import duty
    cant wait to have my first drive

27. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

£250? Blimey, you got off light there, Ade.
    Don't forget, photos as soon as, eh?

28. UKAde

UKAde
    from Oxford UK

there are some pics of it in Nz just before it was packed on my webshots files i even gave them the invoice for the full amount

29. kornbinder

kornbinder
    from Sonora, CA

Well, I got my banger out for the summer last week. Drove it around a bit and started to clean it up to take to the LA Roadster show this weekend. After cleaning it up I went to start it and it coughed through the carb, counter rotated and seized up. Oh how I hate it when that happens!! Oh well, I’ll push her back in the garage and worry about it this fall.