Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hallock ,Lee Grey, G&O w/s frame history????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jackandeuces, Aug 12, 2013.

1. jackandeuces

jackandeuces

This Hallock Windshield frame sold last week on auction a site , from St Paul Minn,.. Could there be someone here on the Hamb, that may know the roadster it came off of or any history of frame itself. Thanks

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. jackandeuces

jackandeuces

sorry no picture, Cannot get deleted

3. jackandeuces

jackandeuces

Second try..

Attached Files:

4. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

Jack, I was bidding on that frame as well, and was wondering the history of it. Did you end up with the frame ? Jim

5. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I hate to ask here, but regardless of who ended up with it, what did it go for? I forgot to put it on watch simply because I couldn't afford it, but I am curious.

6. Weasel

Weasel

According to the late Ron Roseberry, Duke Hallock only ever made six of these, so caution is urged as several repros have been made and if it is being represented as original then you would have every reason to want to check it's provenance....

7. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I looked at the description when it was up, and it looked like the guy was doing his best to sell it in an honest manner. He mentioned that it was cast in brass (bronze?) not aluminum, and had old peeling chrome on it. He said that it may be an original, but was more than likely a later copy. I have to dig up Chris Shelton's story from R&C a couple of years ago, because I can't remember if the original batch were cast of bronze or not.

8. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

Does anyone have a better photo? where were the bolt holes drilled to mount it, etc.

I've done quite a bit of research on these as I believe my car may have had one on it really early on.

And yes, how much did it bring?

9. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I just put in a message to Chris Shelton. He and Pat Ganahl have written by far the most descriptive two articles on the subject over the years, and he may have a clue as to this one's origins. I wish I had been in the financial position to even place an opening bid on this one, but no.

10. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

I believe it went for 1850.

11. hellerlj

hellerlj
    from Minnesota

Sold for $1826....listing is still up, lots of photos still there too

12. kidcampbell71 likes this.
  13. kidcampbell71 likes this.
  14. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Ya, I've got the magazine and have dug it out and looked. I think the tip off on this deal is that it is brass or bronze. Chris's article quotes Frank Currie as stating that they were tearing apart liberty engines for the bronze bearings to melt down for the repops he and a friend did after the war. To my knowledge, the others that were cast in the seventies and nineties were all aluminum. I guse that Duke Hallock originally made just one for himself in about '31, then 2 more in '36. I'd have to guess with where aluminum was at that point in time that they were bronze as well.

15. re49

re49

Anybody ever heard of a Gray windshield? I was at a swap meet with a friends '29 roadster with a repop Hallock, and an old guy said it looked like a Gray or maybe Graves.

16. jackandeuces

jackandeuces

We are trying to find where this Hallock fits in the picture..If anyone can get picture ,or pictures larger please post....

17. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Here ya go. Text from auction below pics.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1376395807.490685.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1376395827.672593.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1376395841.583874.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1376395855.266511.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1376395871.350598.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1376395888.923091.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1376395910.173931.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1376395928.741889.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1376395950.699627.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1376395976.474514.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1376395990.565052.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1376396005.854218.jpg

Selling a Hallock windshield cast from brass or bronze. I don't know if it was cast pre or post war. It has been installed on a car, all the necessary mounting holes are drilled and tapped with the studs in place. The chrome plating is old and worn. The frames have some areas of visible light pitting caused by porosity in the castings which were not filled prior to plating. In my opinion this adds credibility to this piece being pre or immediate post war because Hot Rodder's have gotten much more demanding in the quality of chrome plating since that time frame.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  18. mcbay

mcbay

Here is the G and O Specialties ad in Azusa, CA, circa unknown. Anyone with info on this company?? It looks like the St. Paul frame could be one of the following, The Courtney car that was crashed, one of the 3 Hallock made by Duke in bronze, or one of the G & O's.

Attached Files:

19. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

I do not think this is a Hallock made windsheild.
    Its missing the center "flare" where the 2 sides meet.
    If you look in the adds in early Hot Rod's theres one in photos.
    The one in the magazine adds is this way.
    Is this G&O that you speak of Mcbay?

I don;t have a magazine handy to scan right now, maybe someone else does?

edit... now I see your add McBay... thats the one!

20. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

You know, now that you mention it, it doesn't have the neatly faired flare where the two join that is so prevalent to the Hallock. In pat Ganahl's article in '90 called "Flying Vs", he showed a single picture of another windshield that looked very similar to a Hallock, but was attributed to I believe Bud Trumain (?). He made note of how it really didn't fit the cowl that well on the car shown. If I have time today I'll dig up the article and scan and post it here.

21. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

I believe that car in that article may have had an aluminum windsheild of similar design. The one that didn't fit.
    I'd bet that the one that just sold is one of the ones from the add that McBay posted.

Though the one in the add looks like it might have a chrome/polished hood. Which if I recall, the car with the Bud T windshield had.

Sure stinks being at work without all my books!

22. $um Fun

$um Fun
    from Nor Cal

I guess they are starting to come out of the woodwork. There is another one listed and the sellers says it was cast about 25 years ago in SoCal.

23. jackandeuces

jackandeuces

.. I know of That one it is aluminum...It was done in early 90s and bought at LARS years ago ,long before Sellers..

24. $um Fun

$um Fun
    from Nor Cal

A friend of mine has an old pattern, it has a longer center section base with more of a peak like the one recently listed. I will call him this week to find out where it came from.

25. mcbay

mcbay

Here is a not great picture of one of the Courtney cars. If you look at the way the post transitions into the base it is different as is the center post. The St. Paul one also has a slimmer bottom rail.

Attached Files:

26. mcbay

mcbay

Here is a shot possibly from Harveys Broiler in 1947. This looks like the St. Paul frame with an added upper frame. Little is know about G & O but it is believed they might have been the foundry connection to the Hallocks. This predates the Courtney/Currie frame by a number of years.

Attached Files:

27. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

If memory serves correct, your right.

28. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I have that image in one of my Don Montgomery books, too, but off the top of my head I can't remember the car owner's name. But to me it looks like iy has a heavier lower rail than the frame from St.Paul.

29. 08racer

08racer
    from Gilbert AZ

This is suppose to be a "gray?" windshield. I like the looks of this one a little better. Not as vee'ed and a little shorter.

Attached Files:

30. mcbay

mcbay

Super Nice car !!, the St. Paul version does not have a straight glass groove like yours but follows the cowl down. It does look the same in the front.