Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hallcraft Wire Wheels - Still Made?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flatheaded, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Flatheaded

Flatheaded
    from Nordakoda

Looking for a set of front wire wheels to set up the front end on my FED frame. Are Hallcraft wheels still made? Does someone else manufacture simular ones? I want to keep the nostalgia look of the wire wheel. Am planning on using the round back Ford spindles if it matters. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Flatheaded

2. motobilt

motobilt
    from okc

still made down in texas, bought some not too long ago

3. Talk to Jim at Total Performance in CT. We got a pair from them about a year ago.

4. falfas55

falfas55

Check out southwest junior fuel association website. Good info there.They are are a Texas group.

5. Flatheaded

Flatheaded
    from Nordakoda

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated! Flatheaded

6. Hallcraft was sold to an investment company headed by Bill Rucker, one of the founders of American IronHorse Motorcycles. I don't think they are doing the spindle mounts anymore, just bike wheels. Although they may be private labeling them for Total Performance.
    http://www.hall-crafts.com/company.htm

7. Roadsters.com

Roadsters.com

Dave Tuttle is one FED chassis builder who can supply them. He can make hubs for any spindle. His phone number is (530) 547-2402 and his site is at http://www.dragsters.net/

Yes, it makes a difference, since most dragsters use Anglia/SPE spindles, and most digger-style wheels that were made to fit the early Ford spindles are for street cars.

There's more nostalgia dragster information here: http://www.roadsters.com/ndr/

Dave Mann
    http://www.roadsters.com/

8. the shadow

the shadow

if you want to make an authentic set of 1950's dragster front rims for a short wheel base rail or altered,I can help you out there. the guys in the '50's with the short 88"-100" needed spokes to save weight but also had more weight on the nose so they had to be stout so before the aftermarket guys like moon/crietz started making skinny lightweight front spokes for longer WB/stretched rails (less weight on the front) in the early '60's the guys(alot of them) in the '50's used :

1933-34 harley davidson VL hubs (side car hub)
    1930's harley davidson 19" rim (3.0 x 19") 3.25 x 19 tire

You can buy these parts brand new from any compitent HD repair shop, they will buy them from one of 2 vintage HD parts venders (V-Twin or Midwest cycle). once you get the parts you will need to machine out @ .001" off the inside of the hubs to make clearance for your spindles/bearings ect. you will also need to buy spokes and have the wheels laced & trued. (I can get you the proper bearing/race numbers also). I have an original set of these rims from 1959 on my lyndwood rail, they are paired up with square back ford spindles (they will fit the round also) they WILL NOT the later anglia or p&s spindles (to small of a spindle for the hub). in the 2 pics you will see my original set on my blown rail and a newly made set on my buddies freshly re-created "bliss brothers" injected lyndwood. we both run the same spoke wheel/tire as he copied mine.
    I will caution you as to price, after purchases and paying to have them machined,laced & trued + the tires your looking around $1500. but I assure you they will be period correct + they can handle the weight of a short wheel base rail or altered.

Paul

Attached Files:

9. HotRodChassis

HotRodChassis
    Alliance Vendor

Do you have a shot of the VL Hub?