Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Halibrand Wheels: The Original Mag

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jive-Bomber, Mar 28, 2017.

1. dechrome

dechrome

I remember that car in Hot Rod years ago, Dodge powered as I remember. The solid Hals are my favorite. The closest that I have are mid 70s Ford on my roadster.
    dechrome
    IMG_0262.JPG IMG_0263.JPG

Deuces, T-roaster and mgtstumpy like this.
  2. I learned the hard way, Dow 7 only works on virgin cast magnesium. It will never again look like the original new Halibrand finish. Once the surface is stripped, re coating leaves a clouded grayish finish.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. quicksilverart46

quicksilverart46

There is no substitute for magnesium Halibrands!! My Original '65 Sprints . 10 by 16's and 4 1/2 by 15 fronts sprayed with a custom mix of dead flat non metallic mag grey with only the outer edge polished for contrast and ease of maintenance . The full view showing freshly polished edge beads at the GNRS . They will stay shiny for weeks. I use mothers then wipe with windex to remove the black that is invisible after polishing but is the cause of the premature clouding when not removed. A quick wipe of silicone spray lube after the windex [​IMG]will also help.[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. dragsterboy

dragsterboy

I might not be that bright....But my wheels are!

5. Larry, did you finally get the '46 back together from the crash damage?

6. Eric Crow

Eric Crow
    from Acton, CA

7. banjorear

banjorear

I also love the solids. What a look!

8. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

downloadfile.png Looks like Charlie Engle gave these a rac day polish, While the Elkins crew gave up and painted theirs. From the vintage sprint car pic thread

WC145, CudaChick1968, Deuces and 4 others like this.
  9. blackout78666

blackout78666

IMG_4931.JPG IMG_4433.JPG IMG_5453.JPG IMG_3109.JPG IMG_4932.JPG

Got this 4 window from Ray Revernham. Hella nice guy. Encyclopedia of knowledge and has a collection of cars that will blow your wig back. And I got to touch Smokeys truck.

IMG_4065.JPG These are early fronts. 4.5 wide.
    IMG_4931.JPG

IMG_4433.JPG
    These are from one of Jim McElreaths Indy cars 67 or 68. Usac inspection numbers stamped

IMG_5453.JPG

IMG_3109.JPG

Another early 4.5 front. Thanks Ralph in Spokane!!

IMG_4932.JPG

Some wheels I've managed to round up for my sprint car. Still need a pair of 6 pin 16x8........I've only got 1 shot at finding a pair

10. Hendee

Hendee

Mine
    image.jpeg
    Historic action shot
    image.jpeg

11. alchemy

alchemy

Blackout, that little window is rare to find the labels still on it. Most of them were sanded off sometime in their life. I'm guessing since it was a six pin that it didn't ever live on a street or drag car, and the roundy racers weren't as concerned with polishing wheels.

The big window front wheel is a late production. Note the name is inset into the surface.

12. rooman

rooman

Not really relevant to the discussion but Ted's grand daughter was a guest at my wedding yesterday. (and no--she does not have a bunch of old wheels stashed away.) :)

Roo

13. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Can you elaborate on the specifics of these four Halibrands?
    I don't recall seeing Hals without ribs around the windows.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  14. Hendee

Hendee

May not be Halibrand as I have heard from others. They are more likely Canadian Wells Foundry Magnesium wheels from London, Ont.

CudaChick1968 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  15. Here's an old pair I bought out of the back of National Dragster years ago.

timoniumnatseastjalopyrama08057.jpg

16. quicksilverart46

quicksilverart46

No not quite finished yet. Suspension and 90% of the body work is done . Not able to find a single front Mag Halibrand yet but I do have a pair of beautiful American Rebel aluminum clones. They are Pressure cast from virgin 356 alloy here in Anaheim and heat treated. Maybe this summer it will be finished.
    Good to hear from you Dean.

CudaChick1968 and Dean Lowe like this.
  17. quicksilverart46

quicksilverart46

18. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

IMG_5514.JPG These are just collecting dust. Frank

19. quicksilverart46

quicksilverart46

Hey Mike this is Larry Fator out in California way back in 2002 I traded with you a pair of cherry 10.00 16 M&H Racemasters for that RC SBC Scattershield FOR MY '46 Chevy delivery gasser.
    I had a front tire blow at the Antique Nationationals and hit the wall. It broke my front Halibrand 4 1/2-15 and I need a single replacement. It had a dual Ford pattern but I would gladly accept any pattern if you know of anyone or if you have a single please call me ... Larry (909) 592-4841 [​IMG]

Deuces likes this.
  20. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If anyone knows where one is lurking...it would be Mike. Your delivery is TO cool!

21. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

Here's one of mine. Lost about 12 inches of rim while pulling off I- Wheel1 copy.jpg 15 about 40 miles north of Vegas. Found the two pieces. Took a couple of years to find someone to weld it. Been good for about three years. Maybe needs another wheel pattern drilled in there.

Deuces, kidcampbell71 and Louie like this.
  22. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

At SMILEY'S RACING we always saved damaged wheels to cut pieces out of to repair other wheels like in your picture. Did this for years before Weld Wheels became the deal. Frank

BigDTexasKid likes this.
  23. thans0101

thans0101

24. thans0101

thans0101

25. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I've always thought this photo of Ted Halibrand was the coolest.

[​IMG]

26. Denny - totally agree, that's a great image, I've always loved that one and have had it for a background on my laptop from time to time.

Steve

CudaChick1968 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  27. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

My late 40's early 50's Sprint Car wears a set of a solid Halibrand style wheels. They're reversed with the ribs showing, not going out to take a pic though, ;).

The Car that I always thought was the most memorable L.A. Roadster Member Club Car was J. Neil East's Jack Cort/Doane Spencer/Lynn Wineland 32 Roadster when it was wearing small window Hal's on Bias Ply's into the mid 80's. (So much so that I have a rear set for my 32 that I have yet to mount). IMG_0645.PNG IMG_0646.PNG (Also shown is its Dave "JustaHobby Gale's version).
    And of course, when Neil's Deuce was in Birdie's or P-Wood's, Then PAW-B-M,Halibrand, & Pete & Jake
    Put together this lil iconic "Limefire" IMG_0644.PNG Both most memorable in my initiation into this disease we call Hot Rodding ;).

28. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

Here are mine that spent almost 40 years on the street . . .

Attached Files:

Eric Crow and kidcampbell71 like this.
  29. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

(I sure don't know how to post the photos!)

. . . and lived on with Willie Dorsey (he didn't like to polish them and flipped one pair and coated them). Willie's Wheels2.jpg

kidcampbell71, Deuces and elgringo71 like this.