Register now to get rid of these ads!

halibrand wheels. original or repop?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dirt, Jan 21, 2010.

1. dirt

dirt

im getting this set of wheels and just wanted to check and see what you guys think. are they originals or repops? i was told they are originals that have never been mounted and i dont see the tell tale sign of the repops(name on one of the spokes). plus they look aged. i cant see them in person until after a lengthy drive. any help would be appreciated.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
  2. Justin B

Justin B

they might have been made by halibrand in the 80-90's but they aren't old wheels, old ones would be one piece not a seperate center and rim like the ones pictures.

3. Fogger

Fogger

They look like current American Salt Flats. What are the sizes? You might have to make the drive to check them out. Ask the seller if there is a manufacturer name on the back side. Also check the American Racing web site for info and prices.

4. rooman

rooman

The name cast into the spoke IS the sign of a real Halibrand (or a very authentic copy). What you have there is a set of Halibrand style wheels which are all the rage lately.
    As noted by Justin B, Halibrand wheels (the originals and the Wellington, KS ones made with the original patterns) are one piece castings. What you have is a set of Halibrand style centers in a rolled aluminum rim.

Roo

5. dirt

dirt

the americans have "american racing" plain as day on one of the spokes. these do not.

6. dirt

dirt

i thought the originals had the halibrand name on the outside of the center piece not on the spoke. but these are 2 piece rims so i guess they are not vintage. the guy wants $500 for them.

7. Weasel

Weasel

PS Engineering????

8. rooman

rooman

That would be my guess too.

Roo

9. DRD57

DRD57

They're PS Eng. wheels. A smokin' deal at $500.

10. 32 Barn Car

32 Barn Car
    from Oregon

Halibrand / I have a set like this on my car.......Z

Attached Files:

11. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Worth every bit of 500 Even if they are repo's .I cant tell .Where are you gonna pick up that style rim anyway for 125 a peice .Go for it .

12. dirt

dirt

i looked at the ps eng. site and these look different. the bolt hole area looks completely different than the ps eng. wheels. im getting the wheels no matter what, cant beat the price even for a cheap bastard like me. i was just hoping someone might have a definite id on them. as soon as i get them hopefully they will have a makers mark on them.

[​IMG]

13. pan-dragger

pan-dragger

I'd say they are ps engineering.

14. DRD57

DRD57

They're definitely PS Eng. wheels.

The bolt holes are machined differently for different applications and bolt circles. Mine have steel inserts added to use the stock steel wheel lug nuts on my Dodge.

Here's a link to the story on mine getting made:

http://donshotrodpage.net/Project-RAM/Wheels.html

15. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

I think they are one of the more recent versions of the Halibrand corp ...like from the 2000's.

I have a set of six lug/six window wheels that I bought off ebay for cheap (17x7 front, 18x9.5 rear). They have the halibrand logo cast in them. In another thread, somebody said the wheels were assembled in the US with chineese parts.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  16. PS Engineering