Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Halibrand Wheel Identification..another one.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Karfever, Nov 18, 2017.

1. Karfever

Karfever

I have read a lot of posts about the Halibrand wheels and assume that the wheels on my coupe are a later reproduction. I am hoping that someone can identify and tell me who when they may of been produced.
    Thanks!
    IMG_0071.JPG IMG_0069.JPG IMG_0070.JPG

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

3. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Boy do those look familiar!
    I'm betting those Sprints are from the later (Kansas) production, mine are.
    Mine are 15x12 inchers, got them in the late 90's if I remember correctly.
    Is the mounting surface flange thick like mine.
    Do you have any photos without the cover plates, I think that was a way for them to offer more backspace options.

20160910_165247.jpg

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. Karfever

Karfever

I think you are right about the 12 inch rears. The car was built many years prior to 2012, so I would doubt that the '2012' on the wheel is related to a build year.

5. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They may be a later production, but not a reproduction. Richard LeGurnne has owned Halibrand since the 90s and is super protective about copyright infringement. If it says Halibrand, it is a Halibrand or Richard would have sued the shit out of them. From what I understand, Halibrand wheels are made in China now, but prior to the China move, they were built in Wellington, Ks.

Richard is not my favorite person in the world, but those wheels sure are nice.

-Abone.

PS. Were you at the car show today at the Charleston Gun Club?

6. 2012 is a model #, not the date of manufacture.

lothianwilly71 likes this.
  7. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

I have those same wheels on my delivery and they came from Kansas in the late 90's.

8. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Hey Lynn
    Curious as to whether your rear wheels ? 12"? have a casting number on the front side next to the Halibrand name like the OP's have, mine don't have the pad for it.
    BTW, I did notice the OP's fronts just have the name and no casting number, my 6" fronts have a 2006 casting number which matches my '93/94 dated literature.
    I just realized that my 12" rears were bought a few years later as I originally started out with 8" Hals on the rear.
    Wonder if the OP has rears/fronts from different time periods.

9. Your comment about copy right infringement surprises me considering that Eric Vaughn and Real Rodders and now Rebel wheels sells spot on copies of Halibrand wheels. I too tried to buy from Richard, but all I ever got were promises. Never understood why he would take an iconic brand like that and just let it go to shit.

10. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Blame it on him and the "Sweet Swirl"

You can't improve perfection!

20171120_093847.jpg

11. Copyright covers the name of the product in this case as far as I know. The shape has long been copied and probably is in the public domain long ago. I understand that Eric had an arrangement with Ted to use Halibrand owned patterns with inserts to block the Halibrand name.

I believe that the raised script Halibrand with the size was a feature of sand cast molds which got phased out sometime in the 80's. The script was nearer the center of the wheel.

The indented block letters seem to have come with more modern pressure molding under Rich's care of the company around that time. The indented block letters are out near the valve stem.

Both of these comments are relevant to aluminum wheels however there may be exceptions. I've been collecting, using and selling used Halibrand aluminum wheels and various copies for about 25 years and have probably seen all the history threads on the HAMB. Every time I make a declaration of fact as I believe them to be I usually get corrected. I frequently find Hals that do not fit what I think is the norm - particularly in the area of wheel width. I used to think that was more prevalent on the sand cast wheels given the ease of pattern modifications, but I see it on the later wheels as well.

If they don't say Halibrand on them in the case of the aluminum wheels they probably aren't Halibrands. The old claim that the Halibrand got polished of is probably flat out bull shit, and the claim the owner purposely removed it it also somewhat unlikely but more possible than the prior example. Good copies are great wheels but they aren't Halibrands, period.

Your results may vary and I'm always ready to hear another interesting story.

Charlie

12. Karfever

Karfever

Thank you for the posts, very good information!