Register now to get rid of these ads!

Halibrand V-8 QC question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 29pu, Nov 30, 2011.

1. 29pu

29pu

I got a V-8 Halibrand and i`m setting it up for a closed driveline.I have all new bearings for it and the correct lower shaft with snap rings.
    With the front bearing in it sticks out of the case alittle like it should.I have a seal plate here that has a small opening where a seal would but is also looks to be the bearing retainer.I think the snap ring will keep the bearing in place on the shaft but do i use the seal plate to keep the bearing in place in the case? Then put the torque tube on front side of the plate? The opening in the tube is too big to hold the bearing. Is this how everyone else does it?

2. 29pu

29pu

Did some more searching and found the answer.Some say yes and some say no.I`m going to put it in.

3. Sprint car torque tubes are made to hold the front bearing in place.
    [​IMG]
    The seal plate for an open drive is what holds the bearing in place, correct. If it was made to fit between the axle and torque tube, it should be machined on both sides.
    Wish I had a better answer, but I've never fooled with an original Henry tube...

4. DICK SPADARO

DICK SPADARO
    Member Emeritus

Just a note, First check to see if the bearing is the correct width for the case and that it is fully seated. Now if this case came from a race car there is a good chance that it has been involved in a severe crash. If this was a closed drive unit to start with, the torque tube will provide enough leverage to bend the snout of the QC out of square. To re index the snout to square the end of the snout is machined to square again. Because this removes some material repair requires the addition of a thin spacer to space the snout to the original length. If you determine that your snout has been machined you can make a thin spacer with an offset to trap the bearing and just use longer studs to mount the torque tube.