Register now to get rid of these ads!

Halibrand Pits - How much is too much?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 34andy, Nov 7, 2010.

1. 34andy

34andy
    from WA

I've got a pair of old Halibrand magnesium wheels that I'd like to get your feedback on. Everyone's heard the stories about magnesium damage, but have you seen it? One wheels is in great shape, but the second wheel was not protected in storage and has significan pitting on the front & rear. I am positive that it will never polish out, these are deep pits. I have uploaded a couple pictures of the bad wheel so you guys can provide thoughts & feedback.

Question - Is this pitted wheel safe to run on a rat rod?
    - Or is this wheel now garage art?

Thanks,
    Andy

Attached Files:

2. 58fed

58fed
    BANNED

Those don't look bad as far as deep pitting. You can try a light polishing and then let them haze up again, I wouldn't chase the pit too much, we all know they are the real deal and we like the patina.

3. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

Ther trash. let me take get them out of your way

4. Deuces

Deuces

That's their natural finish! I've seen worse in Ford prototype "mag" rocker covers for the 5.4L and 4.6L engines.. The last company I worked for did some machining on those. We also had to make sure they didn't leak..

5. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

They are pitted, but not as bad as you think! The original finish on these wheels was a VERY course sand cast natural. Most of the wheel were polished, so the rough gets sanded away, and smoothed out. I used to regularly start with about 60 grit paper when I was polishing these. I wouldn't have any problem running them.

6. Zerk

Zerk

The pitting on those looks superficial to me. If they are fairly true I don't see why you couldn't run them.
    Some polished mag takes on an almost golden undertone; magnesium is a beautiful metal, but the polishing is too much. If you do polish, clearcoating might be a help.

7. Never2low

Never2low

:DWhy are you trying to polish something for a RR.:eek::p

8. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

I would run them BUT, I would have them penetrant checked for cracks FIRST.

9. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

I've seen a lot of guys do a light bead blast on them and powdercoat em in an off gray. Polished magnesium is a pain in the ass. To answer your question though they don't look pitted enough to where you'd have a problem running them..

10. Deuces

Deuces

......... And don't wash those with hot water... They'll turn black in a heart beat.... I learned that the hard way...

11. 56truk

56truk
    from piqua,ohio

Those are too nice for a R.R.!!!

12. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

Ask ShakyPuddin55. I think he did a tech on here about polishing magnesium Halibrands.

13. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

I thought you rat rodders didnt care about safety?

14. 34andy

34andy
    from WA

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I will have the wheel professionally checked for cracks before doing anything with it.

How much material is typically removed in the polishing process? Is it more or less than .005"?

How well does powdercoat stick to magnesium wheels? Is there any way to fill minor scrapes & pits in the powdercoat process?

Thanks again,
    Andy

15. Powder wont work, the Magnesium keeps outgassing, it will bubble the powder off like a nasty cancer

16. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Id run them ,I think the guys are more concerned about the spoked halibrands ,

17. I Drag

I Drag

I have seen worse, much worse, on cars still running drags. Those are fine.

No clearcoat, no powdercoat. Just leave them bare.

18. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

Magnesium can be powdercoated if done properly. It's a whole different process than an aluminum wheel. Follow the link.

<DD class=summary>There are a lot of companies that do wheel powder coating, but if you what your magnesium wheels done, find a company that has a lot of experience with ...</DD><DD class=source>http://www.panteraplace.com/page41.htm - </DD>

19. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Im painting mine ,The color of my 98 chevy truck ,Some mettallic silver ,I painted mine and ran for 20 years ,On various cars and only painted them once ,Powder coating is way overated