Register now to get rid of these ads!
Auctions

Halibrand magnesium cowl steering package

Discussion in 'Parts For Sale' started by telecaster_6, Oct 23, 2020.

1. telecaster_6

telecaster_6

City: Grand Rapids

State: Michigan
    Price: $2000-2500
    Original Halibrand magnesium case cowl steering setup. Extremely rare piece of speed equipment here. I've never seen another one in person like it, and never seen one for sale this clean. I found this in an old sprint car years ago and was saving it for a hot rod project, but there has been a change of plans for the car. The box was totally disassembled, bearings pressed out, cleaned, and replaced 3 of the 4 (very hard to find sized metric) main bearings in the case. Worm gear is in very good condition. This is a very elaborate designed box, where the outer cases are elliptically machined to adjust backlash (Schroeder boxes have no backlash adjustment) at the worm gear, very impressive machining, especially for the timeframe. Steering support extension has a crack (see pictures), not affecting setup as it is currently supported in a custom steering shaft support bearing system. Currently missing one cross bolt, i may be able to locate it.

This is currently mounted in a 1930 model a coupe, with a very well done cowl bracing system fabricated into the cowl that has an battery box as well. I also fabricated a extended steering arm for the complete system.

I will sell this 3 different ways:

1) Steering box with pitman arm (machined for ford tie rod taper) $2500

2) Steering box w/pitman arm, and custom steering arm $2700

3) Steering box w/pitman arm, custom steering arm, and i will carefully remove the custom built cowl bracing system/steering column support from my body and include it with the steering box. $3000

Buyer will pay actual shipping charges. IMG_3335.JPG IMG_3325.JPG IMG_3329.JPG IMG_3333.JPG IMG_3334.JPG IMG_3336.JPG IMG_3337.JPG IMG_3328.JPG

mad mikey likes this.
  2. telecaster_6

telecaster_6

3. telecaster_6

telecaster_6

4. telecaster_6

telecaster_6

Box only: $2k
    With steering arms: $2200
    With steering arms+cowl bracing setup: $2500

5. telecaster_6

telecaster_6