Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Halibrand Engineering - Original Wheel Pattern - Studebaker Avanti - Sand Cast

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by craigibc, Apr 29, 2015.

1. craigibc

craigibc

I wanted to post these up so we can have a archive for the future on these one of kind Halibrand Patterns. I am getting rid of them so I wanted to at least share them with everyone before they wind up in someone's collection never to be seen again.

These are two original pattern pieces for the 14x6 Studebaker Avanti wheel pattern that was the first passenger car/consumer wheel offered by Halibrand Engineering in 1963. The actual start-to-finish production of this design was covered by Lynn Wineland in the November 1963 Car Craft article titled, "A New Hoop from Halibrand". I picked these up from an old foundry that went out of business in El Cajon, California a few years ago. Apparently, one (of the many) variations of Halibrand that existed in San Diego left them behind and they wanted to make sure they were not lost to a burn pit like so many others. I purchased this along with a few pieces, but this is a matching set for the Avanti/Falcon style wheel referenced in the attached article. In the glory days of Halibrand Eng., Ed Weimer was the chief pattern maker."

Hope you can enjoy this piece of Halibrand history that most will test1.jpg test1.jpg test2.jpg test3.jpg test4.jpg test5.jpg test5.jpg test6.jpg test7.jpg test8.jpg test9.jpg test10.jpg test11.jpg test12.jpg never see!

Craig

2. dudley32

dudley32

that is amazing that they still exist...were'nt there some other wheels made exclusively for Studebaker by Halibrand...or is this them?

3. wow... the actual patterns used in that 1963 magazine article. i'm glad you saved them

i was wondering ... there must be another pattern to pour the full wheel , i think that is just the center?

4. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

That is awesome ! Thanks !

5. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's a piece of industrial art! Thanks for sharing it.

6. Now this is very cool history....Thanks for posting for all to see and enjoy.

7. craigibc

craigibc

Yes you are correct the hoop is not there just the center only. It is so cool looking at the photos with Ed Weimer working with this piece of Halibrand history. And yes this is the Studebaker wheel and I have had in in my office for the last few years. We did not even know till about a month ago this was the Avanti wheel. My kid and I were talking about it and he got an idea it was the Studebaker wheel and we found the article and put the history together. Hope it will end up in the Studebaker Museum in Indiana since it is an amazing piece of history.

kiwijeff and loudbang like this.
  8. damn....only in my dreams....they're what I want for my little Daytona (see avatar) R1/4sp car.....thanks for posting....

9. alchemy

alchemy

10. I would buy a set of those.

11. jroberts

jroberts

12. thanks for the update......

13. PackardV8

PackardV8

Very cool. Thanks for sharing.

All theHalibrands I've ever seen on Studebakers were the 5.50"x 15" versions and of course, 5-on-4.50" bolt circle. As far as the research has been determined, none were ever factory-installed or on a build sheet. The Granatellis at Paxton Products installed them on their Bonneville cars and some magazine test cars. To make them quasi-legal, the factory sent an info sheet to dealers about how wheels could be ordered direct from Halibrand. A few sets have circulated within the Studebaker Driver's Club/Avanti Owners Association.

The repops are in aluminum rather than the original magnesium.

jack vines

stillrunners and kiwijeff like this.
  14. sounds like the Mopar wheels that came out 69 or 70....most sets that got out were taken back on a recall I think....some sets are out there still......