Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Halibrand- dont leave your quick change out in the rain

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by skidmarks, Dec 3, 2013.

1. skidmarks

skidmarks
    from USA

funny how some stuff is junk to some people and the holly grail of go fast stuff to a hotrodder.

this one was in a sprint car at one point. but then got tossed out in the weather to slowly fuse its self together for about 20 years.

its a Halibrand V8 . the rear cover was missing . anyone know how to date it ?

as bad as it was, it actual came apart pretty easy. alittle pressure and alittle heat and the pinion came out. the only damage i found besides the bearings is one of the magnesseum side bells had been broke and repaired.

surprised to find the ring and pinion were OK but plan to run it one the street with a differential.

is the live axle all one piece? or does it come apart at the ring gear?

Attached Files:

2. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I recently picked this one up, it had been buried for years. Mine didn't come apart so easy, but I saved some of the parts. How wide is that live axle in yours? I might be interested in the axle and bearing carriers. Great find by the way!

Attached Files:

3. good save to the boths of youse's....

4. The37Kid

The37Kid

Nice! Needs a '40 X member. Bob

5. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

I think you guys should both send me those junkers and I will send you the scrap value.
    It's the least I can do.

6. Axle will be one-piece. Great find - I'm still looking for another V8 QC.

Steve

7. von Dyck

von Dyck

Marty, would you be able to post a picture(s) of how the Safety Racing full floating hub is attached to the V-8 axle housing?
    Yeh, you have the makings of a good V-8 QC!
    Question: I've heard that (way back when) guys would cut down the drive shaft in order to create the lower shaft of a QC. Is this true? Are they durable? enough?

8. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

all i find is winters championships out in the weather under a quarter inch of dust.

9. von Dyck

von Dyck

BTW Bruce, how is your book coming along (a compendium of all things Quick Change)? I'm interested. And I'll bet there are many other Gearheads interested as well.
    Please keep all of us updated.

10. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Von, Way back guys used to cut and machine the axle snouts off of the 3/4 ton housings. They would machine the bearing snouts off of the V/8 housings, and bolt the floater snouts on. Then many of the manufacturers like Frankland built the bolt on snouts from scratch. We built these by adding a flange to some weld on snouts currently available from the Stock Car suppliers. I am going to use these on a front end application.

Attached Files:

11. TWO threads on welded quick changes!:)

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=415472

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=419523

12. goodturn

goodturn

:(Here's my V8 at work. This wheelie cracked the right side bell with 392 gears in it. This a 301Halibrand that I bought new in 1996. Quick Change Exchange in California has helped me out with parts.

Attached Files:

13. Don't know how you guys keep finding these quick change rears and I have been looking for 6 months and not even a nibble.

14. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

that stuff was junk when we quit using and scrap metal had no value, look in areas that had tracks in the old days but not now---good luck...

15. Same here. Only thing I find is the Champ size

16. von Dyck

von Dyck

I'm running a Champ style (Lynn, St. Paul) between a pair of 3/4 ton side bells and 30 spline Dana 1/2 ton axles with a diff in my roadster. It is on the heavy side, and you feel every ripple in the road.
    I personally like the look of a Champ sandwiched between two adapter plates and V8 axle housings. The larger QC gears can take gobs more torque than the smaller V8s.

Special thanks to Marty: I have those pieces - now I know how to put it together and run the wide five Safety Racing hubs.

17. 343w

343w

I had three housings and covers back in the spring of 1980 I took them to the swap meet at Shep's Run in Winston Salem N.C. to sell. Some lowlife stole them while we went for lunch! That's my quick change story...