Register now to get rid of these ads!

half way across the country in this 59 chevy.....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOLLYWQQD, Nov 14, 2009.

1. HOLLYWQQD

HOLLYWQQD
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from central NY
    1. New York H.A.M.B.ers

ok maybe not half way,but a decent clip from west of chicago to syracuse NY in this 59 chevy i just picked up . 235 ci. 6 with a 3 on the tree .
    only 1 issue which i still can't fully explain .

[​IMG]
    Shot at 2009-11-14

[​IMG]
    Shot at 2009-11-14

i sold my stude pickup after having it on line for sale for only a week or two ,
    [​IMG]
    Shot with KODAK EASYSHARE Z710 ZOOM DIGITAL CAMERA at 2009-03-22

i was looking to trade it for a kustom or enough coin to buy one of a couple different cars i was looking at . this 59 has been completely redone , frame off kustom ! it's pretty nice but still needs a little love here and there (perfect cause i can't leave anything alone) i flew out to chicago and drove it back !! good times , i wish i had more time to do it so i could have stopped along the way and met some of the people on here and saw some old friends along the way , but it was a straight through stopping for fuel only kinda trip ,except for the mysterious break down! that left me stranded on side of road dealing with cops and tow companies, etc.etc. turns out before a tow truck arrived it fired up and made it to the next service area where it quit again and wouldn't start , so i got a room for a few hours and it mysteriously fixed itself while i slept !!! all in all it was a cool experience and a good chance to familiarize myself with a car that i didn't build ,but now own !! now i gotta hurry up and build another hot rod cause i'm already jonesin' for some dirty ratty speed under my ass again , this kustom has a place in my life for sure but i need me another hot rod too!!.

jp

Last edited: Nov 15, 2009
  2. manyolcars

manyolcars

check the gas filter

3. von zipper

von zipper

I thought that car looked familiar!! Here it is at a show in Sycamore Il last summer! Very nice Chevy! [and I'm a Ford guy!]

Attached Files:

4. metalman

metalman

I had the same mysterious problem with a 59 Elky I had a few years back, would be going down the road and it would just turn off, sometimes it would restart before it finished coasting to a stop, sometime not. Once in a while it wouldn't start, then it would again a little while later. After 6 months of this I finally chased it down to corrosion in the wiring bulkhead (2 piece bolt together) on the firewall where the main harness passed thru. Being in the damp NE it might be worth checking out.

5. Bman416

Bman416

can't wait to see the car in person. She looks beautiful!. does it need some stripes?

Brian

6. hvychvy

hvychvy

Very nice lookin car!!

7. HOLLYWQQD

HOLLYWQQD
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from central NY
    1. New York H.A.M.B.ers

you bet it does!!

8. hotrodj54

hotrodj54

real nice lookin chevy, i like it.......................john

9. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

awesome ride,the interior looks killer.

10. Ramblur

Ramblur

A bad ignition condenser will do that too...(if it still has points)

11. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

Could also be vapor lock. Check your gas cap. Make sure either the tank is vented or the cap.

12. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

very nice custom------rust in fuel tank I bet

13. I saw that car at the Hunnert Car Pileup...Bitchin Car...Good Score....
    Good for you....

14. Leadsled RnR

Leadsled RnR
    from CO

That thing is freakin sweet! Had a weird similar problem with an old OT truck, ended up simply being a bad ground.

15. gas pumper

gas pumper

I had a $50 60 Chevy that would die on the same exit ramp every day. A right hand turn going uphill.

It was the rubber fuel line in the rear near the gas tank. cracked and sucking air.