Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Half-Ton Heaven

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Jive-Bomber, May 10, 2016.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

Half-Ton Heaven

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I've always been nuts about '50s shop trucks too...originally properly spoiled by Babe Royer's '48 Ford full custom F1, a maroon tail draggin' beauty with full box skirts, chopped top, Nash grille, Toupal rolls & pleats...
    First pickup ever to sport bed rail exhausts, (originally had 'stacks', but 2.25", not the 1.75" 'skinnies')

Jack Simon's 'Merc-cheros' were right outa the box, I built some models that were 'conversions', just turned me on.

1984, a Visalia Drag Racer owned a body shop, added a 'bay' onto his '57 Ranchero, using a station wagon to add in rear doors...Looked like a factory job, proportions were correct, finish was excellent.

The Superior bodied Cadillac flower cars (popular in New York City, Boston, Chicago) were the real schtick for me...there were a few conversions done by body shops around Oakland & San Jose in the '60s...

Great post, BTW...

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. flamingokid

flamingokid

Nothing I love more than a purpose built vehicle.I remember in the mid 70s we were heading down to Dallas for the big International horse show in our new,go-to-hell crew cab and 4 horse trailer when I spy the grill of a 57 or 58 Eldorado convertible coming up on us.He had Longhorn horns mounted on the front but as he passed,I realized it was a custom El Camino.I'll never forget it or the fact that his big cowboy hat didn't blow off.He turned around as a passed us and waved,a big old stogey sticking out of his mouth.I grew up in a car family,so it took a lot to impress me,but that sure did.

4. belair

belair

Everyone in Texas has a Caddy El Cam with the longhorn hood ornament :). The 56 Merc and the 57 Ford are nice. The 57 Merc is a little wonky. The rear is too swoopy for the front half, and the front end of the 57 Merc was never right to me.

Atwater Mike likes this.

5. Torchie

Torchie

Very nice.
    I dig custom shop trucks.
    Torchie Torchie41FordPickUpSideRH12-vi.jpg

6. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

None of them are exactly my cup of tea, but it sure would be cool if they've survived all these years.

7. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

They remind me of Ausie Utes, and they used the 'Star' grill for the last of their 'large' bodied utes.
    These seemed to be easier on the eyes then other attempts that were made using Chevy bodies, specifically using two door wagons, to me.

8. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Why did he build the 57 from scratch, from a wagon? Would have been better to customize the existing version. And, speaking of existing, using a 57-8 Ranchero roof on the 58 Merc was the clean up it needed. I get that he wanted to show off but rendering an exercise to look OEM shows off more than metal bending ability, it shows your sense of perception and design. Important attributes in a custom shop, no?

9. Rem

Rem

I love 'em, particularly the '56. I guess I'll join in with Rolleiflex and ask "Are they still around?"