Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hagerty insurance....good? / bad?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by colorado51, Jan 23, 2007.

1. colorado51

colorado51

Ok, so I saw all those Hagerty adds during Barrett Jackson and decided to check it out. I filled out their online quote form, and it came back with a pretty damn good price.

Anyone use them around here? What do you think?

2. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Can't tell ya. The bastages wouldn't write me because I didn't have a speedo/odo. Wanted to be sure I didn't drive more than 2,000 miles/year.:rolleyes:

3. RatBone

RatBone

Ive had them for 5 years , never had anything happen to test them.

But I have not heard anything bad about them. I used them based on other peoples good experience.

4. I have not heard anything bad about them either, but I went with Grundy as they were a little cheaper and less restrictive. They also cover my project cars like the finished cars.

5. 3Deuce40

3Deuce40
    from Colorado

I sell for American National Insurance and we offer the "Chrome" program. Its pretty good as well. Will cover projects under construction. Also, Its an agreed value. Anything over $15k needs an appraisal. If something does happen, minus the deductible off the agreed value and we send you a check. Check em' out. It doesn't cost anything to shop.

6. noboD

noboD

Colorado, a friend has a few antiques insured with them. He had no trouble collecting when he backed over his own air conditioner that "someone" put behind one of his cars. I'd think any of the brand name collector car insurance co.s are OK.

7. dv8

dv8

I had them on several cars through the years...never had to make a claim, but a buddy's dad did. They paid the "agreed upon" price for a fire damaged 31 A truck. They bought the truck back from them, and made a good profit out of the deal.

They were always real cheap, and never gave me a hassle about how many miles I drove, or an odometer or anything. Although they were obsessed that I wasn't racing the cars.

I think MBL tried Grundy, and they wouldn't insure his T roadster because it had "no collectible value"...I think it would sell for $15,000...I never had an agreed value with Hagerty for more than $9,000 on anything.

8. Not had any problems with them, but never claimed anything either. As mentioned, they are fussy about the racing issue; also, you must have the vehicle garaged, preferably at your home address. Costs me about $170/year for the '55 F-100, valued at $8k, FWIW.

9. MIGHTY

MIGHTY

I got em. Roadside service 125miles free! yee haw. Tripple gAy wouldn't upgrade me to 100miles free cause I used up my 5mile free tows for the year. 2 tows over $200 one tow comming home from
    Billet proof they wanted $600. Been a member since 1986 they wouldnt upgrade me to plus. Fuck AAA I got Hagerty now. Havent had to use them yet. Hope I dont.

10. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

11. 3Deuce40

3Deuce40
    from Colorado

I have a 51 Chevy valued at $15k. Coverage is 250/500/250, $25000 on medical, 250/500 on UM & UIM, $500 deductibles, unlimited towing, which on this policy includes a flatbed tow. I pay $286 for the year.

12. JDHolmes

JDHolmes
    from Spring TX

I tried to get insurance with them and they wrote the policy, asked for pictures which I sent the next day. I was in a hurry because I was trying to get the beast titled and registered. Well, they came back and wanted more pictures of my garage even though you could see I had a garage in one of the pics.

I told them to shove it and went to Grundy. Same price. Better service. Hagerty thinks we should be servicing them instead of the company servicing the clients. I'll never take insurance with the bastiges. I'll pay full price state farm first.

13. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

14. I know this story all too well...got towed back from BP two years ago by Triple Gay. When I tried to upgrade to 100 mile towing with their "premium" plan, they denied me 'cause I'd used my 5 miles that year. So let me get this straight...if I need it, I can't have it????

I got quotes from Grundy and American Hobbyist for all the same coverages...AH was cheaper. Weird thing was, they required that I have AAA Roadside Assistance....didn't matter 'cause I do.

Bryan

15. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Ummm... wow. I just plugged in my info and my premium dropped to $90. That's to $90, not by $90. I'll be switching when it's time to renew.

16. damnfingers

damnfingers

I have Hagerty and had a claim on my 1949 MG TC when I got rear-ended and shoved into the car in front of me during Cruising the Coast last year. They were great...didn't hurt that I was out taking photos of the accident before the police even got there. I had the car towed to the house (I needed a ride home) and Hagerty picked up the bill with no complaint - happy the car was safe and not having to pay stowage fees. It was an agreed value policy and based on the adjuster's claim my car was totalled - Hagerty put it out for a salvage bid and let me buy it back for the high offer ($2700). I'll easily be able to rebuild it with what was left over...plus have money for the other car I'm working on.

17. DeepSouthRick

DeepSouthRick

Grundy told me the same thing about my 56 F100. I thought I was gonna pull the guy over the table. A 56 Ford F100 not collectible? Freakin' idiots.

I like not having to fool with mileage limits. It only takes a couple of out-of-state cruises or shows, and you've blown your limit. Screw that. I saw the post here about American Hobbyist and filled out there online form. The rates from AH were beyond reasonable, compared to our regular insurance. I've got to get some photos printed to them and return the app and we're in business.

18. colorado51

colorado51

Thank you VERY much!

American Family = 288/yr
    Hagerty = 274/yr
    Grundy = 245/yr
    American Hobbyist = 124/yr

Thanks for all the feedback guys!

Dave

19. devinshaw

devinshaw

I have hagerty for 2 cars both valued at $5000 each I pay $200 for both cars for a year. No deductible, full coverage, towing. I havn't had a claim, they never asked for my garage pics. It has been a great deal for me, and no limit on mileage.

20. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

I've never had a problem with haggarty, I had a claim with my 49 when a old fart driving a RV in too small of a parking lot "thought" he had enough space....he didnt. Haggerty paid out as well as paid me for fixing the damage. That said I just ran a quote on the hobbyist ins. and will look at getting them when my year is up with haggarty, heck its $100 cheaper for my sled....all of that said has anyone delt with them in a claim before, are they relativly hassle free? Haggarty was seamless, I expect the same out of whoever I switch too.

21. yblock292

yblock292

Had them for years, great people to deal with, gotta do the home office though, have 5 cars insured with them nothing but good to say about it, would highly recommend them, have always done me good.........

22. Recently handled a claim on an old T-bird at our shop with Haggerty . Would not get any of my premium dollars for any of my cars.

23. 53Heavy

53Heavy

Same experience with my ride...:D

24. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

I found a company based here in PA that has treated me great,..... GRUNDY auto insurance. They specialize in antiques, restos, etc. Full coverage and an amazing price!!

Haggerty wouldn't cover me because, (and this made NO sense at all)...my wife had a company car!!?? Of course, this is after they said they would and I was filling out paperwork!!

25. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

Hmmm,....that sounds pretty nice actually!! Good info, hope others pay attention to that post as well. I'm going to check them out.

Have you found anyone yet who has had to use them?? Would like to hear the pros and cons. Any info there would really make the difference in myself changing to another company. Sad but true,you often hear the positives (price, treatment, etc.) untill you have to use one of these insurance companies, and then you start hearing the bad.

26. Pops

Pops
    Member Emeritus
    from Tulsa

I read this the day you posted it. Help us out and get them to include Oklahoma in their coverage. I know of four cars that would sign up today!

J.

27. Junkyard Jan

Junkyard Jan
    Member Emeritus

Have a link handy for the "rules" required to be considered for a policy? The only stipulation that I was able to find was a 10K mile per year driving limit which is plenty. What I'm looking for is a bare bones, low restriction policy to insure my '64 Ford for $5000 along with Ohio state minimum liability coverage and uninsured motorist.

Thanks!

Jan

28. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I've used Hagerty for about ten years, and currently have four cars covered by them for a total of about $850/yr. I've never had to make a claim.

I chose them because:
    (1) others said they had good claim experience
    (2) they were the only collector insurer that accepted my carport/car cover/closed gate situation in lieu of a garage, and
    (3) they didn't require a mileage limit, only that the car(s) they were insuring were not daily drivers.

I did have one annoying experience when I was adding car #3 to the policy. An overzealous telephone agent wanted an unreasonable number of photos, statements about how I would be using the car, and other annoyances. I complained (not to that agent, but to her superior) that I was a continuing customer with a spotless record and didn't deserve the grilling I got. They apologized profusely, and I've had no problem since.

29. Dirk35

Dirk35

What he said. No claims to report, so no other info other than easy to get established. $268 (maybe it 368, it is not a lot) year and normal Comp Coverage, for $32K agreed upon replacement value.

30. I've been using grundy...they cover my 39 pontiac and 68 montego ragtop,they covered my32 fiberglass coupe too.been great to deal with and seemed cheap enough.but then again I havent had a claim