Register now to get rid of these ads!

Had a weird car sale

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RDAH, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Model T1

Model T1

Sadly most of us have gotten to not trust our fellow man. It's sad that it turned out this way. But glad that this and many other transactions worked out.
    Even selling a 55 Chevy locally one time and the buyer looking, driving, and personally handing me a check, it got suspicious. Apparently his business partner drew most of their company funds from his bank account and the check kept bouncing. He had the car, I had a rubber check. After many visits back and forth the money was finally in the bank and the guy covered all bank costs that I ended up receiving.

2. Irishman

Irishman

If a guy ever calls you with a thick Northern Irish accent claiming he lives in Texas and wants to buy your car...don't dismiss it as a scam.

It's probably me.

3. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

4. 5window

5window

Cash can be your friend.

5. Fenders

Fenders

The above is not correct. You cannot wire funds that are not in your account. You do not write a check for a wire transfer.
    A wire transfer to the correct recipient cannot be retracted.

Perhaps the poster misunderstands the facts of his transaction.

6. roughneck424

roughneck424

I trust wire transfers more than cash.
    Durn Scammers makng counterfeit that fools lots of people.
    Always someone out to get the good guy

7. RatPin

RatPin

Earlier this year I had a really odd encounter with a vehicle I had for sale. This guy came with his son and test drove the truck liked it, called me back and said he wanted to buy but needed a week to get the funds in order ($20k+) I said OK and that I needed a $500 non refundable deposit to hold it. He gave me the cash deposit and then for the next 4 -5 weeks came up with excuse after excuse about the money was delayed. He was coming up with unreal stories about offshore accounts and get ready...billion dollar money transfers and how he is in business with the government and can't talk about what he does. He called me crying one night about how his bank was charging him 180 million to transfer his offshore account. There were so many wierd things associated with our conversations that I can't even remember them all, phony business partners, the evil ex-wife, weapons manufacturing contracts...the list goes on. To this day I don't know what kind of angle the guy was trying to play on me but after about 5 weeks I said, look I have other interested parties and if I don't receive balance of payment by XX, I will sell to the next guy. He begged me to hold it and gave me some other BS story and left it at that. The truck sold 3 days later and I never heard another peep from that guy. It was actually like an entertaining soap opera, but very frustrating waiting for payment. Waiting for hime actually caused me to miss Barrett-Jackson this year which is probably not such a bad thing I guess as I would have probably pissed away a few grand.

Really weird though. I met this guy face to face on a couple occasions and he knew where I lived. I was almost expecting to see him again. His stories were so outrageous that I felt my intellegence was insulted by him thinking I could actually believe these things. During the time I was waiting for payment, I did a little digging and found out a little bit about him incase he tried to make things weird. Luckily he didn't. Thanks for the $500 Jim!