Register now to get rid of these ads!

Had a weird car sale

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RDAH, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Phil Stevens

Phil Stevens

well the guy selling the car called it weird, so it's gone on from there

2. Time will tell, let us know.

3. 49F1Jeff

49F1Jeff
    from Oregon

What's a pay phone? ;)

4. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Keep us posted on how this works out. I'm sure curious!

5. 41will

41will
    from Hanover PA

Is kinda my policy as well.

I had some guy who is outside the states supposedly on an oil rig somewhere offer me 8k through paypal for a car.. I didn't do it because I know how easy paypal does reversals.

Hope it works out smooth.

6. I just sold a car last week the same way but to someone in Mexico. They did a wire transfer for the car and prepaid the shipper fee (thanks Bill's Auto Works - HAMB shipper) without any problems. Bank to bank wire transfers can not be reversed to all the Chicken Little's out there. Its people from foreign countries that have the money to buy our cars now so get used to it.

7. RC Kid

RC Kid
    from Alabama

isettajohn,
    Points well taken. I have never sold a car this way and I am happy to see it can be done. Again, thanks.

RDAH,
    Keep us posted on how everything works out.

8. 5window

5window

At his point, I'm just happy to wait and see what happens. No need for more comments. When does it get picked up?

9. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I'd take a down payment from a check before I'd take paypal. no paypal transaction is safe for the reciever.

none, never, not ever. paypal helps scammers and thieves steal from you no questions asked. they have been around long enough that everyone should know that.

10. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

And the Paypal rates are getting just plain crazy ! :mad: I sold something on Ebay for $ 350, Paypal took $ 16.00 and Ebay took another $ 46.00. I won't be using them much in the future, and I have used them a bunch of times in the past.

Don

11. RDAH

RDAH
    from NL, WI

The shipper called today, Aug. 21st & said he would be here to pick up the car on the morning of the 22nd. That is 8 days after I received the money. I'd like to thank all the guys that wished me luck with this sale & the dooms day guys do some research before you post your thoughts on money transfers. If any problems show there ugly head I'll be sure & let everyone know.

12. pitman

pitman

You help us all here RDAH, thanks.

13. 50flathead

50flathead
    from Iowa, USA

No kidding, thanks to NAFTA and US monetary policy, our US goods now and will continue to cost way less to the rest of the world. Get used to exporting your vintage American iron.:(

14. Nonstop

Nonstop
    from CA

I thought you were the one who was raising the first red flag, hence the concern here?

As far as dooms day, I have been involved in plenty of the clean up for people who sell to people blindly, and then expect people to take care of their mess up.

I, along with most everyone else here have or had jobs. There are a whole bunch of people whose "jobs" are to sit at home and figure out new scams to separate people from their money. At one time, Pay Pal was also considered very safe and scam proof.

Glad it worked out for you.

15. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

You are the person who had doubts about your transaction, and you disrespect those who thought likewise and warned of problem areas. :confused: Feel free to keep your problems to yourself next time.

16. I think he's right on to criticize the chicken littles with no clue how a wire transfer works.

17. I am one who does not know for sure, but I do know that if it can be stolen there is someone that does know how to do it.

I personally hope it all comes out all right and that RDAH reports back to us in the future that all is well. Or if not that he informs us that there in fact is a way to not come out on a wire transfer so that none of us fall prey to it in the future ourselves. I don't imagine that it will take long for all to settle once the car leaves for its new home.

18. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I find that pretty f*** in' insulting. If you wanted perfect advice hire a lawyer, but you came on a car forum and expressed some concern about the transaction, then you bite the hands that tried to help you.

You can take any subject that is discussed on here and see opinions all over the place, but which ones are right and which ones are wrong ? All we "dooms day guys" were telling you was to make 100% sure before you release the car. If that is bad advice, sorry. :rolleyes:

Personally, if I ever see another request for advice from you I will stay away. You are pretty damn unappreciative and ungrateful. :mad:

Don

19. 49F1Jeff

49F1Jeff
    from Oregon

No kidding.

20. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Geeze guys, I do 4 to 5 foreign transactions a month, all over the place India, China, Central Europe, Eastern Europe, all wire transfers, bank to bank, US Dollars.
    Have been doing this for 16 years now, never burned once on a foreign transaction.
    People worry way tooooo much.

21. No people take it in the kiester way too much. ;)

He expressed concerns by the fact that the fella didn't ask the correct questions and we just drew on that. Wire transfer is probably still the safest way to do a transaction but we won't know for sure until the first one of us takes a beating on one.

22. 5window

5window

And it ain't over until the fat lady sings. I'll be happy if I'm wrong and it all works out fine. I don't hear the music yet.

As for the OP, if you don't want varied opinions, this is the wrong place to post.

23. jazz1

jazz1

Selling online can have some unusual results as well as unique folks you meet. I sold a truck to a very young fellow a couple weeks ago after getting an offer on the internet,,I asked the guy if he wanted to see the truck as I thought the offer seemed a bit premature...He told me " I have been riding my bicycle past your place for a couple years,,I have seen it plenty."

24. Kinda off subject but when I bought my bird off ebay I didnt ask any questions. I saw it near the end of the auction and just bid on it and won. after the excitement of winning wore off I relized I hadnt asked any questions and was preaty worried but the car was just as described. So yes sometimes people dont ask questions.

25. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

This thread took an odd turn. I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone.

26. Fenders

Fenders

I am still waiting to hear an honest, detailed description from the recipient of a wire transfer that took a beating, and the reason he took a beating.

In the meanwhile I call bullshit.

27. After reading all the way through this...... I'm still trying to figure out when dealing with someone from Arizona became a "foreign transaction" :rolleyes:

28. This is good news! Paranoia is not the same as being cautious! There are those that continue to post a complaint about your question, but never seem to offer any actual support or guidance.

I too have had dealings just as yours and it worked out well as I was cautious and spoke with the bank 1st. C.Y.A! They asked me to do as you did and I got the money without a chance of reversing it, he got his car. Some people have lots of money and they know what they are buying, or it is just a impulse buy. I sold a car to a guy who had to pay me in $10,000 payments so his wife didn't notice the money missing from the checking acct! I know I'd notice that when the bank tells me I'm overdrawn by $9800. There are people with very deep pockets and want what they want and what is a lot of money for most is nothing to them. Rare, but it happens.

You are making a good choice to seek out opinions and experiences. Sometimes it's tough to seperate the opinions from the facts. Those that only offer complaints but nothing of value should leave the advice to the adults.

29. bluthndr

bluthndr

Sold a truck to a guy in TX - basically same deal. No issues. Not too scary if you CYA and are educated about it. Truck actually sat at my place for almost 2 months after I got paid!

30. dirtybirdpunk

dirtybirdpunk

Same thing I was thinking! My in-laws are middle eastern and live in Arizona, I'm supposed to go visit them next week, now I hope there's a 26 roadster in their garage. Probably not but I can sure hope..... :)