Register now to get rid of these ads!

Had a bit of luck today....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BashingTin, Oct 11, 2010.

1. BashingTin

BashingTin

I've been unemployed now for about nine months. To say I've been needing a pick-me-up is an understatement. :(

Some of you may know from my introduction that I'm starting on the journey of my very first build. I'm not an old-timer traditional rodder like most of you, so I will not try and pretend to know anything. And I'm sure that you will all lovingly guide me through my project. I'm joking. You can pick on me all you want. :p

My first stroke of luck happened earlier today when I finally secured a 392 Hemi block for my engine choice. Earlier in the year, I had found and purchased all of the core parts for a 392 but the block. The block has been really tough to find. I'm talking one that you don't have to mortgage your house to buy. I'm financially challenged at the moment man!

So with excitement, I post off an email to a good friend of mine east of here about my block find, and he sends me a reply. He informs me he has a 29 Model A body for my project. It's either a Sport Coupe or Roadster, I'll learn more soon. But what just completely floored me is he is just giving it to me! I'm still pinching myself. :eek:

Originally I had the idea of building a Model A closed cab pickup. But I'm sure none of you have ever changed direction on a project, right?

Pinch, pinch, slap! yep, I'm awake! I don't think I'll be able to fall asleep for a week!

I'll start a build thread when I get closer.

Take care all,

David

Last edited: Oct 12, 2010
  2. brady1929

brady1929

congrats, good luck on the buid

3. I'd have to say he's more than just a "good friend". Good luck with your project and no one around here ever changes direction. We're all in some kind of self induced time warp.

4. Good for you. If it can't be me, it might as well be you. I hope your luck holds out for the entire build. Maybe you will finish it one day and find a great job the next. Wouldn't that be sweet? Or you might find a great job tomorrow and not have time for the build. Never know what kind of twist life's gonna bring. Good luck!

5. BashingTin

BashingTin

Thanks everyone! It's funny how stuff can fall into place. Still, a core engine and a plain body do not make a completed project. I know enough to realize I have a LONG way to go. :rolleyes:

Near the end of the month, I'll drive out east to the plains where my friend lives and take some pictures of the body. He has it stored up on a mezzanine at one end of his shop.

I've learned that it's a 29 Model A Sport Coupe, not a Roadster. He also says there's only the main body with doors and a windshield with frame. He also says I'll have plenty of practice rolling up my metal-shaping-sleeves for some much needed repair.

I'm getting excited. ;)

David

6. fat tire

fat tire

Nice! I still need to swing by your place next time i'm out and about with the roadster :D

7. BashingTin

BashingTin

Josh, that would be great! I'd love to see what you've done with your car. ;)

8. 392 in a hemi = ruler.

Check out Bass's car for guidance.

9. butch27

butch27

Good luck--many many people in your situation. Keep the hobby going and you'll keep going.

10. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

what comes around , goes around brother.
    keep us posted & good luck.

11. Racrdad

Racrdad

Good luck and good friends is an unbeatable combination. Lets see some pics as you progress.

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool beans, it sounds like this is going to be a nifty build.

13. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hahahahahahaha! LOVE to hear this kind of stuff! Congrats, David...and good luck with everything.

14. skoh73

skoh73

Congrats man- that's awesome!!!

As someone who has been unemployed for almost a year now, I know exactly what you mean when you say you need a pick-me-up. Gets pretty depressing. Luckily, my car is in good running condition and the weather here has been bone dry and sunny with above average temps, so cruising around in my ride helps get rid of some of those blues.

I can't wait to see this build!

15. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

You say the car is in the plains. What part are we talking about? I am in Kansas and if your car is close by, I would be more than happy to go and take pics and send them off to you. You can post them after that. PM me if this might work for you.

16. BashingTin

BashingTin

Hey Thanks D2! That's super kind of you to offer. But I'm heading out there pretty soon. :)

I'm going to be there in about 10 days or so. The trip's only about three hours. He lives about 35 miles from the Kansas boarder in a little town called Joes, Colorado, off Hyw 36. I call it the plains, but I'm just a dumb Cali to CO transplant. Where you live D2 is probably the real plains! :D

I met my friend online through a home CNC forum. I've been helping him learn how to run and program a Bridgeport type, 2-Axis CNC he runs in his shop. It runs the Anilam 1100 conversational controller for those that are familiar with it. I own a similar machine with the same controller so it's been easy for me to help him get up an running. He tries to pay me when I'm out there, but I refuse his money. I'm heading out again to teach him some more about his CNC and help him move some big stuff around in his shop.

He is a really cool dude! I really enjoy knowing him. 75 years old, and he's got more energy than I probably will at his age. He's been a hot rodder his whole life. The last car he built was also a 29 Model A Sport Coupe. He bought the body he's passing on to me years ago thinking he would build another someday. I still choke up a little when I think about him giving me this body.

He has three other car projects he's building in his shop at the moment. A 34 Ford, a 25 Dodge Brothers, and a early 60's Cobra. I'll be getting lots of valuable guidance from him when I get started. He's almost more excited than I am! ;)

If all goes well, I'll be able to bring the body back with me on my next trip. If not, I'll travel out again to help him some more and get it then. I learned a long time ago that if I try to force or hurry something, it always blows up in my face! :p

Take care all!

David

Last edited: Oct 14, 2010
  17. Spooky

Spooky

LOVE THAT.

Keep doing good things to others, it pays off.

18. That sentence made me laugh :D. most on here don't fall under that description either.

Sounds very cool that things came your way, good luck.

19. Dyce

Dyce

There is a good number of sport coupes out there yet. Good freinds are harder to find. The world would be alot better place if people realized that before they get older like your freind. I met a great man like your freind who is unable to do the things he used to do. He was a machinist, and has passed alot of tools to me. His kids screw him every chance they get. I help him when he needs help and never ask for anything in return, but he always has a box of stuff already sitting by the door and tells me to take that with. I'd help him without the gifts of tools he has given me. Every time I use a tool from him I have to smile because it reminds me of my freind, and that there are good people in this world yet.

20. Zerk

Zerk

It's funny that guys like you never expect their good karma to pay off in some way. They are always floored and say, "gee, did I get lucky!" :D

Congrats and hope to see more soon.

21. Hey guy
    some times things just fall into place...congratulations!

22. dartracer

dartracer

Joes is in the plaines, about 1 1/2 hours from me. Sound's like a cool guy. You will have to take some pics of his place if he does'nt mind.

23. BashingTin

BashingTin

I will definitely ask if I can take some picks of his space when I get there. ;)

I may have jumped the gun on when I'll have some picks. I talked to my friend this evening, and I may not get out there now until next month sometime. He's in the middle of working on building some shop furniture, plus some other things he's trying to get squared away. He has asked me to wait just a little more time until he's prepared for my visit.

My CNC lessons are pretty packed and make for a long full day. In the mean time, I've had the idea of writing up some material he can study in the evenings. Stuff like that I can push to him with simple email. :)

As soon as I do get out there, I will post up some pics!!!!!!! :cool:

Take care all,

David

24. BashingTin

BashingTin

Very short update:

Here's a slightly blurry picture of the body sitting up on the mezzanine taken from a ladder. I'll snap a bunch more pictures when I take a trip out. Should be soon. :)

[​IMG]

Not much to see, but it comes with a couple sets of doors, and it looks like I'll be making some new "Faces" for the rear wheel wells (if that's what their called). He says there's a bunch of other parts for it, and not much rust at all.

I'll also be heading down into New Mexico on Thanksgiving weekend to pick up my block.

I'll start a build thread once I've collected some more bits and pieces. I'm getting excited!

Take care all,

David

25. big bad john

big bad john

........Glad things are working out for you......

26. Ghost28

Ghost28

You can get those wheel wells from berts early ford here in denver fairly cheap, and if you are gonna run fenders I have a set of running boards and splash aprons you can have.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2010
  27. BashingTin

BashingTin

Thanks for the tip Ghost! I've been meaning to drive down and check out Bert's Model A Ford Center. That should be a fun field trip. ;)

http://www.modelastore.com/

Thanks for the offer on the running boards and skirts, but I'm planing on running fender-less. I know the Sport Coupe is a little different, but I'm very inspired by Bass's project. I really love the look and stance of his car. Of course, I can only hope to build something as nice as that! My experience level with stuff like this is, well, I'm a beginner. :D

Take care,

David

28. BT,

Sounds like the Karma is swinging your way. Get after that build, good luck.