Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Hack job repairs - lets see em

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FLAT6, Apr 3, 2020.

1. FLAT6

FLAT6

I was pulling apart a shoebox Ford that had its share of questionable work done to it, but this one just made me laugh.

I figured you guys would get a kick out of this, so post up your own pics and stories:

IMG_E2220.JPG

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
  2. Casey Riley

Casey Riley
    from Minnesota

I don't have night vision

3. That's great. I appreciate the fact that the repair was completed with a "tall boy" can rather than just half assing it with a 12 ounce.:D

belair, scotty t, VANDENPLAS and 2 others like this.
  4. BoogittyShoe

BoogittyShoe

I had trouble making that out too. That is a muffler on the left and that other stuff is supposed to be exhaust tubing.
    This is unbelievable without a picture but I forgot where I put the piece that I took off of this seat. (But I did keep it for an anvil.) For a seat bracket it had a piece of 4" steel channel (like a boat trailer frame) Screenshot_2020-04-04-02-05-02.png bolted to the slider from the front to the back. And it wasn't even real channel. It was a piece of 2"x 4" angle iron with a piece of flat iron welded on the other side. It had about 10" bolts that went all the way down through the frame.

Desoto291Hemi likes this.

5. oldsfrench

oldsfrench
    from France

When i was young with empty pockets
    I had a car with leaking battery
    This made a rusty hole behind the battery housing (bracket ?)
    At this time I didn’t know how to do
    Sheet metal repair
    Had no fiberglass and no money to buy
    Just funny idea I’ve got :
    Took toilet paper as fiberglass and putted polyester resin on it
    After a small paint job the result was fine
    Sorry i didn’t take pics (it was 30+ years ago)

vtx1800 and treb11 like this.
  6. BJR

BJR

For all you do this Buds for.......... your tail pipe!:eek:
    Or it's exhausting drinking Bud.

7. 58 Yeoman

58 Yeoman
    from Lacon, IL

Once years ago, I worked on an off topic vw bug. The brake line runs from the front to the rear inside the car along the center hump, and usually rusted out. Someone had used a section of air hose to go from the gas pedal to the rear. Sorry, no pix on that one.

Why are my brakes spongy?

8. 67cst

67cst

I bought a ‘34 coupe last year. I’m finally digging into it. The frame was painted black and looked decent from what I could see. Turns out it had filler hiding some heavy pitting along with poor fish plating over old corrosion. I removed the plating , all the rivets and pulled the frame apart to get blasted. It’s going to need some work to get right but deserves it.

IMG_5093.JPG 60454293973__B8D991DA-877D-4EE2-B37E-C9BED40D1C8A.JPG IMG_5146.JPG IMG_5291.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

RMR&C and Jalopy Joker like this.
  9. manyolcars

manyolcars

The moderators used to shut down and delete this kind of thread

10. BJR

BJR

When you put that all back together, you will need something better than 2 saw horses. Like a frame jig or a homemade one, so it doesn't have a twist in it, and is square.

11. 67cst

67cst

You bet, I just had it up at a working level to get it apart

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

12. Do you ever have anything nice to say?

13. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

No pics but had an old truck come in a customer had bought complaining of how it drove.

Said seller told hun it had been wrecked but fixed. Sure enough I climb under it and see no damage anywhere. So co worker pulls it on machine and takes alignment readings and they are a mile off. And even worse it won't come close adjusting it.

So co worker lays down under it and starts feeling around. He starts pulling black permatex up to 1/2" thick out of wrinkles in the frame! They had filled wrinkles with permatex and smoothed it all out and undercoated frame with a nice coat of satin black on top of that.

Alot of work for "rubber bondo" !!

David Gersic and VANDENPLAS like this.
  14. 62rebel

62rebel

I've seen the permatex filler myself, on supposedly professionally repaired cars. Scary.

15. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

They did? I thought they just moved them to the build diary index.

16. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I was taking the rear quarters off of the Studebaker (they bolt on) I knew I had all of the bolts out and the quarter was still "stuck". I kept tugging on it and it finally came loose. There was a big rust hole in the quarter (and inner quarter) that had been stuffed with bondo and newspaper. Sorry, no picture. The seller gave me decent quarters and Classic Enterprises sold me lots more replacement metal, Studebakers really help the economy when you start to fix all of the rust. The red primer covered the surface rust over the whole car.