Register now to get rid of these ads!

HA/GR transmission ?

Discussion in 'H.A.M.B. Drag Nationals' started by dutchtreat, Jul 10, 2007.

1. dutchtreat

dutchtreat

Guys and Gals,
    I am only in the idea stage rt now,but hope to start gathering parts soon. I will be running a Ford straight 6 (pre '62 per the rules) and want to run a Ford 3 speed top loader (also called RAN small 6 and 302--RAT was for the 390 and also used in many GM cars) I figure the best way to run the cars is to start in 2nd and make just one shift into 3rd(high). I want to remove first gear from the trans to save weight and avoid starting in first gear. Has anyone removed the 1st gear in their trans. Checked with Speedway put they sell redone Sag 3speeds and other high dollar transmissions with 2 and 3 only no 3speed toploaders.
    John

2. Roothawg

Roothawg

My old man used to run a 3 speed ford in his drag car in the 60's. Same setup. If you want I can as him how it's done or give you his number.

3. Rand Man

Rand Man

Speed Merchants put an RAT in the HA/GR this year and it works great. The six trans has smaller gears inside. You probably won't have any problems. We had too much breakage last year and wanted bulletproof.