Register now to get rid of these ads!

HA/GR Inspiratinal Picture Post.

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by alteredpilot, Oct 24, 2006.

1. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Seems like "napkin sketches" are common engineering exercises for hotrodders and pilots. It must have something to do with the creative aspects of both endeavors.

2. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

might be our usual close proximity to a stack of napkins... like a cocktail lounge

3. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Or the local airport cafe. It's amazing how many hotrodders are pilots, has something to do with living life to the fullest and enjoying the experience.

4. nexxussian

nexxussian

I've heard it said that more usefull things have been designed on napkins than any other way.:D

5. vectorsolid

vectorsolid
    from Montana

Also known as "note pad CAD", or N.A.D. "Napkin aided design". Or P.A.D. "Paper aided design"

Last edited: Nov 2, 2008
  6. hotrodmatt

hotrodmatt

7. Ron Golden

Ron Golden

I'll have to say, your cars look great.

Ron

8. vectorsolid

vectorsolid
    from Montana

Good job man. Now THAT is some inspiration! :)

9. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Mine are C.A.D.
    Crayon Aided Design
    :p

10. vectorsolid

vectorsolid
    from Montana

...lol... :D

11. nexxussian

nexxussian

Niiiice :D.

12. nexxussian

nexxussian

Wonderfull pics, Hotrodmatt.

13. blown49

blown49
    Member Emeritus

This is the original drawing I made for the initial construction of the "Horrible". It's actually done in different layers so you can separate different aspects of the build. This was posted on here a couple of years ago I think.

Jim

Forgot to attach the drawing.....sorry guys; look before you post dummy!

Revised 11/05/08 @ 10:54 est

[​IMG]

Revised Roll cage

[​IMG]

You should be able to right click on each picture and save to your hard drive and then print. Drawings were loaded on Picturetrail as 800 x 600 size.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2008
  14. nexxussian

nexxussian

Hmm, musta missed those somehow. Do you recall the thread name? Or if it was in a thread you started? I've tried searching under your posts and the closest I find is the Flathead Ford CAD poster (not that finding that is a bad thing :)).

15. blown49

blown49
    Member Emeritus

Like a dummy I forgot to attach the drawing. I edited the post this morning.......sorry.

This drawing was revised later to include the second roll bar hoop on the chassis after reading the 2006 NHRA rules I figured it was coming to get through tech. I also added it to the above post this morning.

Jim

Last edited: Nov 5, 2008
  16. nexxussian

nexxussian

17. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Recently got this picture of a flattie middie from the fifties that 64 DODGE 440 sent me. I know I've seen it a magazine or article sometime, somewhere but for the life of me I can't racall anything else about it. I think it might've been a club car.

Anybody know anything about this car?

[​IMG]

18. 348chevy

348chevy

Donnie and Gene Bowman's Vineland Villian. Don't know any history of the car. :) Roy

19. Joe Hamby

Joe Hamby

Happy New Year again. I wonder how many are still interested? There were some new ones that we haven't heard from in a while. After Roy brought back this Inspiratinl post, I wander if these cars would be better excepted if they were not called hoky ass gas rails, but maybe simply called (Early gas rails) or E/GR.

20. ThingyM

ThingyM

Roy,, Weren't these "Kids" out of the Baldwin Park. Azuza, area..

21. bobw

bobw

1. Joe, When I talk to folks about HA/GR's, I call them Hamb Dragsters. Then I tell them the HAMB is a web site dedicated to traditional hot rods. That goes over quite well.
    2. As far as interest: I'm leaving for the steel yard as soon as I finish this so I can get started on fabrication of my very own HA/GR.
    3. I have a request: Somewhere among all the HAMB threads is a great pic of a bolt in rear axle mounting. I have searched for hours and can't find the right build. If someone could point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.

22. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Why not go all the way and call them Early Gas Altered Dragsters, or E/GAD for short.:D

Actually I like the term HAmb Gas Rail, as bobw said it explains quite well.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
  23. Rand Man

Rand Man

bobw,
    Bob Hindman manufactures a great little bolt-in rear axle bracket. I think he was offering these for free for new builders.

Joe,
    I don't think anybody really refers to their rail as a Hokey-assed gas rail. They were invented on the message board of a website called The Jalopy Journal (TJJ). The owner/creator of TJJ calls his message board the H.A.M.B.

The way I understand it, this mesage board name came about as a joke. Ryan said at first "I'm not going to create some hokey-assed message board". Somehow the name stuck. There were just a few members at the time, and that was their inside joke.

The first two letters in HA/GR don't stand for the words Hokey Assed. They just refer to a internet website. As always, I state my opinions as fact. I'd like to steer clear of the dumb name and focus on the traditional hot rod stuff.

24. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Kind of hard to ignore the "dumb name" when it's part and parcel of how the class got here in the first place, and when so many folks take such pride in it.

Joe, I do understand your point.
    I just honestly believe it's not merely unimportant but actually antithetic to the class. Think about it; would this class have become anything near what it's in the process of becoming had it originated under any other circumstances? My money's on a resounding NO. Had it not had the very non-mainstream appeal the HAMB lent it it would've died a-birthing.

And to take it the next step, I'll add that I believe that should it ever become mainstream it'll then die certainly. The whole intent of HA/GR isn't comprehensible to more than a small segment of the racing comunity, let alone the rest of our so-called society. It's actually an off-shoot of the intent of the HAMB itself, ie; a meeting place to further the efforts of those wanting to experience and/or re-enjoy the essence of the hot rodding and drag racing scenes as they were in the fifties (not merely the looks).

ps. On a lighter note, Exhaust Gas Recirculator wouldn't likely have the effect you're looking for anyway. :D

Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
  25. nexxussian

nexxussian

FWIW I've read a post from Ryan where he breaks down the name as HAmb Gas Rail (not with the capitalization I just did).

It was an older post, I forget where, I've seen others post and link to it though.

26. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

A Duck by any other name will still waddle and quack.:D

If someone needs a name to understand what it is all about, they won't understand anyway and over thinking what to call these cars has the same effect as over engineering a simple bracket, or calling a hamburger a "ground steak sandwich".

To the builders of these cars, the name doesn't matter, it's just something to try and explain it all to the folks who don't understand. "HA/GR", "HAMB gas rail", "early gas dragster", "vintage styled dragster", "retro designed link to the beginnings of drag racing", "modern attempt at trying to be like it was back when powered by old engine and built with old parts".......all names that could apply and I'm sure you guys can come up with more, but the Duck won't care at all. It's just gonna quack and waddle and go on doing what it was made to do.......enjoy being a Duck and flying for fun.

27. nexxussian

nexxussian

Not what you meant at all I know, but, do they actually waddle? HAGRs, yes I know ducks waddle. Since you mentioned it I got to wondering, I know the tire pressure is kept low for traction, but the sidewall seems a mite stiff for that (but I don't have one) soooo??

28. ThingyM

ThingyM

BobW.. What type of rear end mounting are you looking for..Alot of the guys do it there own way..I had some photos on my chassis on here but I'm kinda what is called a "computer Dummy"..And I can't even find my own thread...But it is back in the archives someplace.....

BTW.. I was in Stillwater a couple of times..My Inlaws lived in Minn. Just outside of Minn/StPaul..Maple something.. Now in LaCross Wis..

Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  29. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Not so much waddle as hop.......(HA/GRs, not Ducks).:D

30. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Dick, it may not be the thread you were looking for, but there are pictures of your car here.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=266967