Register now to get rid of these ads!

HA/GR in Minnesota

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by bobw, Jan 14, 2009.

1. bobw

bobw

[​IMG]
    I threw some aluminum at the beast today. As luck would have it, aluminum prices have gone down and I found a 4' by 6' piece in the drops rack, along with a small piece for the cowl top, so I have less than $30 in the body.

2. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Looking real good Bob. Rocky

3. ThingyM

ThingyM

Bob,,I tried out my Ford heater motor waterpump deal..It works pretty darn good..I machined out the pulleys for it out of Alum. about 3-1 ratio. Round orange-go belt, No slippage....Dick M

4. bobw

bobw

Dick, Thanks for the information. Glad it works for you. I'll pick up a motor but am going to wait for this modification. Just going to run a belt from the crank pulley initially. I'll have several improvements to make after the first season and that will be one of them.
    Old6rodder (Dick), thanks for all the carb info in response to the PM I sent. I have wussed out and will be mounting just 2-1 barrels while the engine is stock. I anticipate going to 3 when I add horsepower to the engine. Pics to follow in a few days.
    I've been working diligently on the car but it is all small jobs and not photo-worthy.

5. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

A sensible approach sir. :cool:

We did the same on several things, sort the thing out first season and then work on bettering it.
    Most obvious was the wheelbase change we waited 'til late last year to deal with.

6. bobw

bobw

[​IMG]
    Got the wiring done, a little windshield, switch panel and gauges.

7. bobw

bobw

[​IMG]
    It's not too impressive, but I hope these 2 Holley 1 barrels will feed the stock slant six about right. I put 2 Rochester B 1 barrels on a 250 Chevy six with a similiar sheet metal manifold and didn't even have to rejet them. Maybe my luck will hold. Again, I've used Bob's Plywood Insulator/Spacers under the carbs. The linkage is built and I used a gas pedal assembly, less the pedal itself that I salvaged out of my Crosley a while back. I'm pretty close to breaking everything down for final welding, sandblasting, paint, reassembly, etc.

8. Rand Man

Rand Man

You are doing a great job with that rail.

9. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Looking good, Bob. Wish I was half as fast as you, (as opposed to just being half fast:D).

You have done a beautiful job on the car and those pipes are gonna sound great!!:cool:

10. doing great, keep swinging at it...

Cheers,

Drewfus:D

11. 6ck Pony

6ck Pony

Hey Bob,
    It's looking great!!! I just had a quick question. Why do you need a windshield? Doesn't the helmet kinda do that or is it for another reason?
    Thanks,
    David

PS:where'd you find that steering wheel?

12. Joe Hamby

Joe Hamby

Without the windshield, at about 80 your helmet will try to lift up.

13. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

It does indeed. :D

Also, tech inspectors like to see that or a windscreen of some sort.

14. bobw

bobw

I made the steering wheel out of scrap steel, cuz I'm cheap and have more time than money! Man, I hope I hit 80 MPH to justify the deflector.

15. Joe Hamby

Joe Hamby

bobw, I hit 82 MPH with an old stock slant 6 with a single one barrel and stock exhaust manifold with a single pipe just turned out to the side. You can't help but go faster with two carbs.

16. vectorsolid

vectorsolid
    from Montana

Dang tootin! My calculator says 1 carb 82mph = 2 carbs 164mph. Seems pretty straight forward. :D

17. Joe Hamby

Joe Hamby

Hi Vector, I think with your fuzzy math that should work. I think that your model a tires went at least that fast on you tube, now can you calculate the bumper speed without a burnout?

18. CrkInsp

CrkInsp
    from B.A. OK

He's not a econ. professor is he?

19. nexxussian

nexxussian

No, you forgot to multiply by the phase of the moon and dvide the result by the square root of an isoceles triangle.:D

So lets see, if 1 carb = 82 mph then 2 carbs = 'ludicrous speed'.:p:D

What, you don't like Mel Brooks???:rolleyes:

20. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

I guess that formula don't work for furrin' carbs, we sure as hell ain't seein' no 246 with three SUs. :(

Come to think of it, wouldn't particularly want to in this build. :eek:

21. bobw

bobw

The time I spend coasting while trying to shift will probably keep me well below 150 MPH!!!

22. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

If ya double clutch it will go faster.:p

23. ThingyM

ThingyM

Tom... Don't try to fool him about the double clutch.. He knows one of those pedals is the brake....BWhaahaaha

24. He's gone PLAID!!! :D

25. vectorsolid

vectorsolid
    from Montana

Should work. Likely just a jetting or air screw change.... maybe run without the airfilter to get over that 245mph hump. :eek:

Worst case scenario, re-position the seatbelt so you sit lower in the car. Could also be related to wind drag. :D

Last edited: Apr 3, 2009
  26. nexxussian

nexxussian

Exacharay.:D

27. bobw

bobw

Dick, I put a hand brake in cuz 3 pedals is just too confusing for this old left handed (and left footed) Polack.
    And Vector, If I was any shorter I couldn't see over the steering wheel. So I shouldn't cause too much wind resistance. If this thing eventually reaches the speeds some of the guys are experiencing, 117mph or thereabouts, I might have to get a braver driver!!!

28. ThingyM

ThingyM

Bob.. I put in a hand brake also.. I just hope I don't push in the clutch and can't figure out why it isn't stopping.. Senior moments ya know.. Dick M..

29. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Hell, we have both. Just start pushing things and sooner or later something'll stop'er. :D

30. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Jets? Air screws? Did I mention these're furrin' carbs? :D