Register now to get rid of these ads!

HA/GR in Central Califas

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by greasel, Oct 27, 2009.

1. greasel

greasel
    from Fresno, CA

Not much build progress last night but we figured out the layout of the roll cage, should be able to get the tubing we need and borrow a tubing notch tool by next Tuesday.

2. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

It's really great to see you guys getting it together!

3. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Greasel and KustumDlux came by this week and we got the cage bend. The car is really coming along and being built by a talented crew!

4. 40WILLYSCRAZY

40WILLYSCRAZY
    from fresno

Hi: Count me in. My dad was the starter at raisin city drag strip. My grandmother had sewn the flag that he started the cars off in. He was replaced by the christmas tree light at the strip and by then he was too busy for it anyway. I would like to know who is in charge of this event. My old man has a million stories and raced at hammer field long before raisin city. Bryan....

5. ThingyM

ThingyM

Our very own.. "Toymaker" Rocky Phillips...Right here on this board..

6. kustomdlux

kustomdlux

Rocky, thanks again for all your help bending that cage. But I must admit, out build has often felt more like monkeys with wrenches rather than a "talented crew". Hopefully this week we will get the seat started and maybe get the cage tacked into place. I really can't wait to get to put my foot down in this thing.

7. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

I dunno, you read a tape pretty good!:D

8. greasel

greasel
    from Fresno, CA

Well we just stopped by so we could help you set your bender up for 1 5/8":D. Really, though, thanks for the help bending those. We got the hoop and backbone in place, having some trouble fitting the two side tubes but will get it knocked out pretty soon. We also found a top loader trans that might make things a lot easier for us.

[​IMG]

9. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

NOW I have to go and redo our cage:rolleyes: Looks great, how about a side and 3/4 view from the front:D

10. ScottV

ScottV

Yes Rocky, please more detail photos !!! That is the look that I want for the main hoop.

Thanks, ScottV

11. 348chevy

348chevy

I'm trying too figure out how you guys are running a cage like that at NHRA tracks. I am adding about 50 lbs more steel to my cage to meet NHRA specs and yours looks alot less steel than mine. :confused:Roy

12. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

They still have two pieces to add (making it a 5 pt) plus the helmet bars.

13. greasel

greasel
    from Fresno, CA

Yep, we've got two more pieces for the rollover hoop and a couple more pieces on the sides. We're going by an NHRA rulebook, which is pretty clear on what to do.

14. greasel

greasel
    from Fresno, CA

:D Progress. It's gonna take a while but I'm more comfortable TIG welding those joints, I'm just not good enough on the mig to do compound curves with vertical variations.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Damn that looks good! :D

16. Ditto, out of curiousity, how wide is your chassis at the rear?

Cheers,

Drewfus:)

17. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

That sounds a bit personnal, doesn't it?

18. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

26" OD Drewfus.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2010
  19. Thanks for that, comparing radius of cages, interesting to note that most of our cages are only 1" wider....we need a diet:D

We're all family here...;):D

Cheers,

Drewfus

20. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

If it makes ya feel any better, the rear of our chassis measures 36".:p

21. greasel

greasel
    from Fresno, CA

Thanks for answering, Rocky, I was going to have to wait to get back to the shop and measure it 'cause I didn't remember.

Our cage *may* be that wide specifically to fit me...that could just be speculation, though.

22. greasel

greasel
    from Fresno, CA

On order: crank/rod bearings, aluminium timing gears, shop manual, safety harness and c-clip eliminator.
    *My order from Patrick's just got here, so now I have an engine to put together!

We have a complete cage, bare cockpit(no seat/controls), no driveshaft...and 20 days with our real jobs taking priority to get this thing done. Any bets?

Last edited: May 6, 2010
  23. bobw

bobw

Man, I sure hate to bet against you, but, your plate is really full. I know I couldn't do it, but then, I'm old and slow.
    Bob's Building Law is: When you think you're half done, you're one quarter done, when you think you're three quarters done, you're half done, etc.

I'm pulling for ya though.

24. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

And when you think you are 90 percent done there is all of that little stuff that takes forever.

Having scratch built an aircraft from plans I have a little experience on this front.:eek:

25. motorgod7

motorgod7
    from chico,ca.

Great work guys, keep it up!

26. I've got a Harbor Freight pipe bender (kinker) and I'm wondering how you created the smooth, nice, larger radius bends for your roll cage? I'm using the 1 1/4 die on 1 5/8 OD tube (fits nice) but the radius is tight and it slightly collapses the tube. There's lots of forum references for this bender and most are not too kind, however, there's also a recommendation for a center strap to stop the collapsing. I didn't find any info on increasing the radius. I tried segment bending but it didn't turn out well. I've got a JD2 for other projects, but the radius is too tight and modern looking for this car. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks - Skip Pipes

27. Joe Roseberry

Joe Roseberry

Welcome to the 153624 group. I am no expert but I do have some experience with these beasts and have parts to share.........Joe

28. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Skip, I built the bender we used on this car starting with a piece of pipe bent in a Harbor Frieght bender. Much to long of a project to try to explain:D Rocky

29. ThingyM

ThingyM

When bending pipe on one of those "Harbor Freight Benders" Use some good moly lube on the die, So the tube can slide a bit when in the bending mode.. We do this at work..It helps a bunch..

30. Thanks Rocky.

After ruining 5 test pieces I figured there were modifications and not technique that made it work. I even built a die follower to limit collapsing, but to no avail. I tried segment bending and lube, which was a pain, but worked; however, it collapsed the tube more that I liked and thought I could get to pass tech.

So I just pulled out the JD2 bender and went with the tighter radius. Sometimes you gotta go with what you know.

Thanks,
    Skip Pipes