Register now to get rid of these ads!

HA/GR hambster rules meeting?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by buffaloracer, Aug 27, 2006.

1. buffaloracer

buffaloracer
    from kansas

Did you get together and decide if there would be any changes to the guidelines for next year? Meant to get to the meeting but am allergic to lightning.
    Pete

2. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

...it seems that most Hambster owners are also afraid of lighting, cause no one showed up for the meeting except the Ram Rods, so we made up our own rules and decided that the Hornets and their auto tranny will be banished from the planet...:eek: :D

3. Yeah, we would be interested in knowing some clear clarification on the auto/manual ruling. We plan on building one for next year and this is kinda important info. From talking with some of the guys it seemed unclear as you could run the auto in some places and not others???

4. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

How many HA/GRs showed up this year?

We didn't make it. Next year for sure.

5. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

i think present auto tranny cars are fine, but if i were building one of these cars now i would not put an auto in it... future rules will prolly have a 'no auto' line in them but we will grandfather present builds...

6. recycler

recycler

Like Ryan said, I would advise against an auto trans. Another rule that is going to be changed is the 5.5" rear wheel will be changed to allow 6" wide wheels. 5.5"ers are too hard to find and the tire rule stays the same. If you are running a six don't spend big bucks on an aftermarket head such as a "wayne" you won't be able to use it. We are probably going to have to have an online vote or meet up somewhere since it didn't happen at the drags. Mr. Mac????

Brad

7. REJ

REJ
    from FLA

Did the 5.5 wheel size change to 6", please, pretty please?:D

8. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

The straight six thing will have to go through me... atleast for HAMB drags events... We could very well have a seperate class for exotic headed 6's and overhead conversion flatheads...

9. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

...just to let everyone know, Mr.Mac's service was downed in the storm. It could be a few days till he's back up and running. He came over last night to post the pics he had from the drags.

10. plan9

plan9

greets... sorry if this is redundant, but is there a link to the updated rules for HA/GR? lots of stuff to sift through while searching 'HAMBSTER' ;)

11. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

plan9, there will be... working on it now...

12. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

Im back,damn lighting anyway. We will posting the new guidelines soon. The storm at mokan screwed everthing up.

13. Fat Cat

Fat Cat

So if I were to consider building one this winter I could put an auto trans in it right?

I would have built one last year but there seemed to be a no auto trans rule in the pipeline for this year. I am not building one if I can't run an auto trans. Wife wants to try it out and doesn't drive a manual.

14. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

15. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

I just read the grandfather thing,wait I'll be right back while I go bite my lip.

16. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

After reading all the posts , looks like our new HA/GR car will be a manual trans.
    Ya think ???

17. Rand Man

Rand Man

Manual trans is the only way to go for the HA/GR class. They represent an era before the auto trans was perfected.

18. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

I agree with you totally!!! Our car will be pre-62 all the way! GMC truck engine, early trans and rear to include the front axle.
    Looking forward to the build, we had a great time at the mokan races with Tom C's flathead dragster.
    Discussed the hambster all the way back to Indianapolis. We plan on hosting a HA/GR hammer spam-a-rama during Indy Goodguys this next year.:)

19. Yup, manual GMC on the way. :cool:

20. sgtmcd42

sgtmcd42

Don't bite your lip....I will say this.......

The autotrans should either be legal or not legal. obviously, my preference is for it to be illegal, but I also feel that if you allow it on one car you really shouldn't do the grandfather thing. that being said, if you make them legal, then they should be stock pre 1962 trans, valve body, torque converter, etc.

I think it would be easier and more period correct to just say no auto's. the rules have said from the beginning that they are going to be outlawed so it shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone.

21. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I agree with you completely... I think the manual trannys fit the bill much better and believe exotic glides are a bit over the top for the class... We are on the same page for sure.

That said, we have a team with an auto tranny already. And I'm in no position to tell them where to stick it... That's just not cool in my opinion. They want to have fun just like anyone else, right? I met them at MoKan and they seemed like super cool guys. I don't want to do anything that puts them out of the game.

Maybe there is a compromise here. How hard would it be for us to get together and help them convert the car to a manual trans? An HA/GR thrash of sorts? All chip in and get the job done... I could most likely get all the parts... What do yall think?

22. sgtmcd42

sgtmcd42

As much as I have been helped with my car, I would be happy to help in thrash. I suspect, knowing the hornets, that they would rather do it themselves, but either way is cool with me.

23. recycler

recycler

Speed Merchants will gladly help but I agree with Sean, the Hornets would probably want to do it themselves. I really just want the guideline changes to be over with and go racin again!
    Brad

24. plan9

plan9

id have to agree with the manual trans rule... i read the post by Rand Man where BigD gave a little wisdom and insight into these rails. for me it has everything to do with this sports past, and im going to stay true to it.

what trany's are you fellas using? we have a ford 3spd from an I6 (thinks its from a '54 passenger car), are the bell housings the same as flathead V8's? thanks!

25. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

...Ryan, thank you for the offer...mighty nice of you, but the Hornets have more $$$ and talented fabricators on their team than anyone else. It would be a breeze for them to convert over. The RamRods are runnin' a stock 1955 Ford truck 3-speed tranny with stock clutch and pressure plate. Nothin' exotic here...it can be done.:rolleyes:

26. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

the point is, this should be a group thing.... pals...

27. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

...hmmm...does this mean I hafta start bein' nice to Bob?...:D

28. mustangsix

mustangsix

I can just envison some guy showing up with a 300+hp LeMans tune DOHC Mercedes, Aston Martin, Maserati, or Jaguar inline six. All built in the mid-fifties and meet the HA/GR envelope, I think.....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

29. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

and if they do I'll drool all over their car... :D

30. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I hope someone does hell!