Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Gus Maanum Drawings

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by VonWegener, May 15, 2018.

1. VonWegener

VonWegener

A friend of mine is moving from L.A. to Odessa Tx. He is liquidating all his possessions to raise money for the move. Among the stuff he wants to sell are these three drawings.
    I cannot tell if they are original drawings or really nicely made copies. No computer anything as he bought them a long time ago.
    The interesting part is that every paper is embossed with a seal reading "The great Land Co. incorporated 1944."
    Can any of you shed some light on what he got? I sure can't.
    Any help is appreciated.
    Thank you
    Mike Maanum a.jpg Maanum b.jpg Maanum a.jpg Maanum b.jpg Maanum c.jpg Maanum d.jpg Maanum e.jpg Maanum f.jpg Maanum g.jpg

2. $um Fun

$um Fun
    from Nor Cal

I am also curios why someone wold put a corporate seal on those beautiful sketches. Most California corporations have a seal made after they incorporate to stamp company official paperwork. But this is odd.

3. catdad49

catdad49
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hope you find out what they really are, besides Awesome. Love his work!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I have a Gus tattoo. One of my faves. His story is quite interesting. Let us know what you learn.

5. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Those are worthy of a nice frame and a spot on your wall...perhaps they are proofs of a print run as they have been shown in several threads here...copies however not with an embossed stamp as those have and stamp aside they are likely copies as I can't imagine originals being emboss stamped like that. It may also be a special smaller run of so many with that embossed stamp.

Not really up on printmaking protocol other than print runs have hierarchy and differ in value.

6. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Love the style he had. RE the seal, I'm just shooting from the hip here, but I think it might have been used to legitimize the work, especially if it has a date and if the seal was a legal aspect of his own business. Akin to having it notarized? I once had a set of photos "notarized" in a fashion by having them stamped with the date at a post office. The clerk wasn't sure it was legal, but still did it as a favor to help out my project. I still have them, all legal beagle showing when they were completed. These days, I also see lots of similar "chops" (legal stamps like those used in the Orient) fixed on works of printed art to legitimize them. Gary

Stogy likes this.
  7. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

They look to be prints and definitely not the original pencil sketches, which would bring big $$$.
    The corporate seal is really odd and IMHO, lessens the appeal (and value) of them. I've seen limited, numbered runs of artwork stamped but not with a random corp. seal.
    Perhaps "The great land Co." stamped a stack of them and gave them away, much like real estate agents and other businesses gave away calendars?
    They'd be great framed and displayed. I love his work. Prints have been plentiful over the years and not very costly.
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/gus-maanum-prints-7-different.1083619/

8. oldolds

oldolds

A look on Evil bay will show to above comment about not being very costly to be not exactly true. Granted they may be pie-in-the-sky prices.