Register now to get rid of these ads!

Gunnedah again 2021

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by spanners, Mar 10, 2021.

1. spanners

spanners

Just a quick race report for the Gunnedah weekend 6th/7th March.
    After the usual 6and1/2 hour trip to Gunnedah on Friday and a broken night's sleep in the trailer (the park is next to a rail line with constant coal and grain train movement) I was ready to rock and roll on Saturday for practice runs. I was ready, couldn't say the same for the HAMBster. First run it ran pretty ragged but I put it down to stale fuel in the bowls. Second run. No better.

You know what they say, "Most fuel issues are electrical". Changed plugs. No better. Changed leads. No better. Changed coil. No better. The annoying thing was that with it running shithouse, I still ran consistent 9.6/9.7s in six runs including a run against a Porsche Cayenne (and beat him).
    After a full day of swearing, cursing and mulling things over I packed up and headed out to the airport parking area to do some contemplating while the Drag club packed up for the day. I cleaned the dashpots on the carbies and reoiled the plungers and then it hit me! What had I done differently since the last time I raced? I'd installed mesh screens between the carbies and the intake trumpets to lessen the chance of a stone getting in like last time. Took the screens out, drilled some big arse holes in them and took it for a test run down the road. Ran good.
    Next day up early and itching to run. First practice run. Sounding stronger.

mgtstumpy and Crosley like this.
  2. spanners

spanners

My times were around the 8.9s I usually run and the car was sounding strong.

Even the officials were commenting on how much better it was running.
    I didn't film all my runs because as usual they're against non-HAMB friendly cars but I'll add the elimination run. It sounds like a piss-poor excuse but the heat was doing me in and I fluffed the start badly from losing concentration. Oh well, there's always next time.

The next race is in May and I hope to get there and sorry Dick, I did enjoy the racing.

3. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from so cal

Sounds good in the video. Looks like a beautiful day of racing, win or lose.

4. BS!

BS!

If I can get mine running like that I’d be pretty happy. Sounds mint as usual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. spanners

spanners

Your day will come. Don't forget when I started out I was doing 171/2 second 1/4 miles.
    Tom. Don't they say that a shit day racing is better than a good day at work?

64 DODGE 440 likes this.
  6. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from so cal

Any day at the track beats working. Had some wonderful times just doing a pit thrash trying to make a car run after mucking something up on the first pass.