Register now to get rid of these ads!

Gunnedah 19-20th March 2016

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by spanners, Mar 22, 2016.

1. spanners

spanners

Headed up to Gunnedah for another weekend of racing. This is the fourth time I've raced since the start of the year, 3 times in the last 4 weeks, but I'm not complaining.
    On the way up we were hit with a storm that stopped us in our tracks. A normally straight run across the Breazer Plains had us unable to see the front of the car due to torrential, driving rain and hailstones. I couldn't see the side of the road to pull over safely so had no choice but to stop on the road itself hoping others would do the same. Scary shit, waiting to feel the thump in the tail but luckily it didn't happen.
    Saturday is a test 'n tune day but due to a late start because of a field of 70 entrants, we only got a couple of runs in. Here's a video showing the variety of cars we get there. My apologies for the sound as I'm still having problems with the external microphone plug.

2. spanners

spanners

Sunday was good weather again with a nice early start to racing. I went to line up for the first qualifying run only to be told by a fellow competitor that fuel was dribbling out of 2 of the fuel bowls onto the headers. Back to the pits and a bit of a tap near the needle and seat and I'm good to go. Line up for the 2nd run and the starter motor wouldn't kick-in. Push back to the pits and get the hammer out again and give the solenoid a few taps and I'm good to go again. My wife/crew chief looks on and says, "why have you got 2 toolboxes when all you need to carry is a hammer?"
    I ended up doing the last qualifying run solo and you guessed it, missed a gear, couldn't get it back into gear and ran a shithouse time. The first run was 9.162, the 2nd was 11.44. These are eighth mile times by the way.
    What to pick for a dial-in? On the Saturday I ran 9.139, 9.994 (missed a gear), 9.129, 9.139, 9.174. Guess I'd better dial 9.10. First elimination, a win with a 9.119. Second elimination was against a bloke who has won countless times because of his consistency, not because of a fast car. He's eliminated me a couple of times as well. At last I had my revenge!

I ran a 9.195 for the win.
    Next was a backing off 9.273 for the win. This is looking good.
    We're into the final. This time against a tricked up, turboed Ford Falcon ute. He dials 9.000 against my 9.10, almost a heads up start. The video shows the result, the mantelpiece holds the trophy.

My first win in 4 years of going to Gunnedah. Racing there is a win in itself. No egos, no racing for sheep stations.

Crosley, Drewfus and 64 DODGE 440 like this.
  3. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Beautiful. Good on ya. And thanks for the vids.
    Trophies're a nice addition to the fun, too. :cool:

Sheep stations? o_O

4. bobw

bobw

I'll see your two ewes and raise you one ram...

Good racin', spanners

5. HAMBsterLady

HAMBsterLady

Fantastic, enjoy all them braggin' rights, (along with the trophy).

6. spanners

spanners

Racing for sheep stations is an old term over here. It's probably your equivalent to racing for the keys to the ranch.

64 DODGE 440 likes this.
  7. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

The first win will always have a sweet spot in your memories. Well done mate!

8. spanners

spanners

I'll add this video to bore you with. I hadn't realized my wife had taken it with her 'phone so it's taken a while to upload it.

Drewfus likes this.
  9. bobw

bobw

I didn't get bored til I watched it ten times. Keep on posting those videos

10. spanners, Congrats on the win! always enjoy the vids ,keep em coming.

11. Awesome mate, even sweeter that it was a Ford. Dragged this home on the weekend for the HAGR project.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1459240154.951350.jpg

12. bobw

bobw

Oh boy ! Another build to follow.

13. Not another one Bob, finally moving on 7 year build!

14. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Glad I'm not the only one. ;)

15. bobw

bobw

Hey Tom, haven't you got that thing done yet? I've always liked building best but I'm finding out driving is funner.

16. spanners

spanners

Thanks for the kind words regarding the videos. If you want to see them, we'll keep doin' em.
    By the way, when you watch the videos of your own runs, is it normal to be jamming down on the imaginary loud pedal while sitting at the computer?

17. spanners

spanners

Here's another one.

18. elgringo71

elgringo71

Great videos, thanks for posting