Register now to get rid of these ads!

Guide 682-c's being sold for high $$$- FAKES???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HellsHotRods, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Canuck

Canuck

The tags on my lights were beat up and almost unreadable. One was brass the other aluminum. :(

Bought a set of repros from H.A.M.B. member "193257". Absolutely first quality tags, workmanship and accuracy is outstanding. :)

Not trying to make my lights into some high value antique, just restoring them to what they once were.

Canuck

2. elmitcheristo

elmitcheristo

There is a few differences that I have noticed between the originals and the OTB Gear repops. The most obvious is the lack of an external screw to hold down the marker light housing. The original has the screw as well as a small locating tab at the rearmost portion of the light housing that sits in a hole in the bucket. There is a good pic of this on post #15. The repops have neither the tab or the external screw. Another difference is that the originals have a recess on the headlight bucket where the marker light sits. The OTB Gear version is a completely smooth bucket with no recess. There may be other people repopping these headlights, but those are the differences that I have noticed.

-Mitch

Original
    [​IMG]

From the OTB Gear website
    [​IMG]

3. BLUECOLLARKUSTOMS

BLUECOLLARKUSTOMS

Does anybody know if the OTB repopped lenses will fit into the housings that are pictured in the post by elmitcheristo? Thanks, Scott

4. The OTB lenses fit in my original tin housings. The OTB lenses are the pointy kind. The tin housing were the one with the larger window (like the one posted above) that used both the round and pointy lenses. I don't know if they will go in earlier tin housings with the smaller opening.
    edit:
    Just remembered that I had another set of lights under the steps. Checked them. They did have the small window, and the pointy lens fit seems to fit them also.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  5. BLUECOLLARKUSTOMS

BLUECOLLARKUSTOMS

Thanks Rich, I have collected a few pairs of headlights with the tin marker light housings with the bigger openings, but are missing the lenses. I will have to order a set. Scott

6. 193257

OK guys

I'm the guy that sells the reproduction Guide tags on here and first off I am no expert on Guide or B-L-C headlights but I've had several sets of both lights. I have a set of tags that are in question on the first page and I am fairly sure they are not fakes. When I chose to reproduce the tags I decided to make them like I did because thats what you see most of. I strive to make them exactly like the originals along with the correct rivets to attach them. I do have sets of original tags that are aluminum and brass. My guess is that the brass tags were the first to be made and the aluminum later just because of the cost factor. Thats why I made them in brass and aluminum. My repo tags are etched just like the originals were. If you feel them closely the black background is lower than the letters are. They are not stamped. The numbers on the other hand are stamped. Not trying to rip any one off at $20.00 a pair and also not trying to make a killin. Where else can you get a nice repro part for $20.00 plus $1.00 shipping with a money back guarantee. Here's the link again.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=655642&highlight=guide+headlight+tags Also I am working on the B-L-C tags now and should have them very soon.

7. Ric Dean

Ric Dean
    from Central NY

… Good Tread ! I hope it keeps other guys from being screwed.
    I’ll post some photos of the NOS pair I have; because some aspects I don’t think can be duplicated nowadays. In the photo of the H/L Bulb see the embossed ‘GUIDE’ and the back of the Bulb is metal. Mounting hardware is completely different. As others have shown the Parking Lamp Body’s & lenses are way different.
    And as HAMB’er ‘HellsHotRods’ has pointed out; this set is the Series 1 and theParking Lamp Body & lenses are even more different then the proceeding Guide versions.
    Note the stamping also isn't consistent on my original tags and runs off line, as another HAMB’er noted on his orig Tags.
    I am including a Photo of the orig Box Label; lets see-um duplicate that patina.

Attached Files:

8. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Seeing as I have only seen 3-4 period photos of hot rods with 682-C's, and I see King Bees and Arrows all the time, its kind of a moot question...

9. kyvetteman

kyvetteman

They are selling repops in the Speedway catalog.

I bought an NOS set at the Louisville swap meet a few years ago. They were still wrapped in old newspaper. When I decided my project was going a different direction I sold them on flea bay. Big mistake. They brought good money but finding another set is not so easy.

10. fleetside66

fleetside66

Interesting stuff about the tags & rivets. I have original three pairs, but none have tags...go figure. The more I delve into this, the more I realize how varied these Guide/BLC lights are. There sure is no book on it, not unlike a lot of the old parts we obsess about. Check this out...

I'm running this first set on my ride. I got them off of my buddy's original '47 Diamond T. I restored them & Hot Rod Jen striped them. They have the Series I housings & rounded lenses, as compared to the Series II housings & pointed lenses. (By the way, the openings on the Series I & II housings are slightly different, to accept the different shaped lenses.) No tags on these, nor were there any tags.

[​IMG]

This next set I'm in the midst of restoring. They are Guide Model H8-51, as appeared when I stripped three layers of paint. Again, no tags, but the buckets seem to be the same size as the 903/904 buckets that have the tags. They are also unusual given the fact that they're rear mount. Has anyone ever seen a pair of these?

[​IMG]

The last set, which I'm also in the midst of restoring, is probably the most intriguing. The are 682-J buckets with Arrow housings with jeweled lenses. The kicker is that they came that way originally! In the pics, notice the shiny original factory black paint that appeared when I removed the housing. The housing conforms to the bucket curvature perfectly & the hole for the parking light was obviously drilled at the factory, as it is perfect. There is no tag, nor are there any holes for one. Again, has anyone ever seen a set of these? They're not like those common Electroline 2200's, that's for sure.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We're the reference librarians & keepers of the knowledge of this junk. Did you ever Google something and the first hit directs you right back to the HAMB? ...Great stuff...keep the data bank going.

11. fleetside66

fleetside66

More Guide details....I'll turn you into Nerds yet. Here's a comparison of the lens openings on the housings..they appear to be slightly different.

Series I rounded lens.

[​IMG]

Series II pointed lens.

[​IMG]

And something else I discovered...on two different 682-J buckets (the one without the tag shown in my prior post & another with the tag) there is a four leaf clover design stamped on the post support thing. One has "Guide/ Made in USA" next to it & the other does not. I wonder what that's all about?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. iammarvin

iammarvin
    BANNED
    from Tulare, Ca

Anyone know of a place to get "real" parking lamp housings to fit the indentation in the bucket? Not the OTB ones that OTB says won't fit original 682 c's.

13. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods