Register now to get rid of these ads!

Guide 682-C Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 29AVEE8, Jan 26, 2012.

1. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

Does anyone have a part number/supplier for the correct rivet to attach the I.D. tags on Guide 682-C lites? I want to refinish the buckets on mine and want to remove/ replace the tags after. Also does anyone know the difference in age of the round versus peaked marker light lenses on 682-Cs?

Mike.

2. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

For the tags theres someone here that sells the tags with rivets ,Try a search I forget who. The round one's are the earliest ,Thats all I know............

3. cbillelder

cbillelder

If memory serves, I just reattached mine with stainless button head cap screws after I polished the heads. Don't have to worry about them rusting either.

4. Canuck

Canuck

The heads of these brass pins are Verrry close to the original rivets. I trimmed the length to just slightly longer than the total thickness of the tag/headlight shell. Hold something against the head, plastic or something that will not damage it and give a smack to a centre punch on the inside expands the shank and looks very original. These look good.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/hardware/page.aspx?p=40385&cat=3,41306,41325

The problem I found in a search for replacement rivets was finding them in a small quantity not a box of 5000.

These guys are into woodworking but good people to deal with.

They also have a stamp available as a single, matching their letter and number stamps that is a close replica of the "*" used on some older cars. Not rated for ferrous metal, but seems to work good for a few uses.

I know Ryan offers replica tags here in silk screened aluminum with rivets for a very attractive price.

A question:

Does anyone know of someone selling etched brass replicas of the B-L-C tags or anyone have a real clean pair to sell?

Canuck

PS if you can't locate any, I could probably spare a few, I think there was over 100 in the box I got. Watch out though, the cost of shipping from Canada might be more than Lee Valley would charge for pins and shipping.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
    hrm2k likes this.

5. My kid took some 4-40 stainless machine screws and reshaped the heads to match the
    shape of the original rivet heads and polished them on a buffer. The nuts tightened
    easily with just finger pressure to hold the now small rounded heads. I would think this
    method would work just as well with brass screws. Best part the screws are as close as the nearest hardware store.

6. 193257

I sell the tags here on the hamb and they come with the correct rivets. Do a search for guide headlight tags in the parts section and they should come up. I also sell King Bee headlight tags that comes with the correct rivets. If you can't find them pm me and I will send you the link. Thanks. Rick

Quality is like buying oats. If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse... That comes a little cheaper!!!

7. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

BIG FLATS RIVET CO. They have them

8. Canuck

Canuck

Got a pair of tags and rivets from 193257. All I can say is the quality is better than his pictures. Perfect sizing. Direct interchange for BLC tags as well.

Great guy to deal with too.:D

Thanks for the help on the tags.

Canuck

9. HankAz

HankAz

PM sent to 193757

10. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

I drilled out the rivets from the rear without drilling through until you can push them out. Then put a dab of epoxy on the inside of the rivet when you reinstall it.

11. A Boner

A Boner

6E4DA78E-60B9-40D2-91CE-E6B97DE099C4.jpeg Brass 4-40 screws with the screw slot ground off. Hand tighten nuts with a little blue loc-tite.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2022
    alanp561 likes this.
  12. brady1929

brady1929

I may need to get in touch with him too.

13. Bugguts

Bugguts

I ordered a set from him. They are awesome. Really well made.
    I was totally happy with them

14. Canuck

Canuck

Beautiful craftsmanship and a great guy to deal with. A real pleasure all the way.