Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Guernsey boys model A coupe build.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Guernsey boy, Feb 1, 2011.

1. loco_gringo

loco_gringo

Awsome fab skills my friend.

2. TwoLaneBlacktop

TwoLaneBlacktop
    from Burien

Incredible work............

3. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Now this is going to piss off a lot of people but I'm kinda good at that!!
    Its not often we see engineering that would pass Aussy Rego on here!! Now thats probably because we just have Nazi type rules and expected levels of work that NASA wish they could accomplish in the shuttle just to get a trailer registered.
    But this work is superb, seriously superb.
    Although we need high quality engineering we don't have to have it look good, so much of it doesn't. This however? It has levels of detail and finish that surpasses all, seriously, all. Hell my Orthopedic and the Neuro Surgeon that put half of me back together hasn't got your level of attention to detail!
    (Don't jump out of airplanes)
    If one is not impressed with this they are a fool.

So.............you want to build my A40 for me?

Doc.

4. jamie34

jamie34

Went round to see Neil the other night to see whats been happenning recentaly and he works so damn fast, hard to keep up takes me ages to make anything and Neil has done so much and so well when you see the stuff he has done it is impressive and has made it all himself out in a one car garage, the chassis is now right at the front and the shell is at right angles to it and the place is so neat!

Should go round more often as he may have it back on the chassis next time I visit.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2011
  5. Smoking

Smoking
    BANNED
    from Florida

To Cool! Keep up the Good Work!
    Smoking

6. Raven53

Raven53
    from Irwin Pa

Man I have enjoyed watching this build, you've done a great job.........will look forward to more

7. Slova68

Slova68
    from Canton, OH

Wow! Great Craftsmanship!

8. i took the body round to my mate turk from turx custom workshop, he's an extremely talented tig welder so i got him to tig all the way along the seams underneath the car where the the new sub rails mount.

[​IMG]

next i had guernsey sheet metal bend me up some more bits, this time in the form three 4' lengths of top hat shaped steel that the wooden floors will sit in. i wanted them to look like they could have been factory so i cut them to length and spot welded them in. now the body is actually sat on the chassis in its final position.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  9. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

[​IMG]

Any relation?

Seriously, I'm still really enjoying your build thread! Gary

10. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

I love this build.

11. big daddy Raleigh

big daddy Raleigh
    from Denver CO

Thanks for all the posting! It's a great build!

12. sorry for the lack of updates lately, i've been a busy boy building a powerboat with my brother for him to race this season. thats almost done now so back on the coupe i go.

some of the wood in my roof has been replaced in the past but some of it was still original and most definitely shagged.

[​IMG]

i was hoping to get the pieces out in one go to make a template from them, that didn't happen...

[​IMG]

good job i'd traced the curve of the roof before i ripped the rotten wood out.
    my old man has been a boat builder for the last million years so i raided his hardwood stash and found some nice planks of beech, i know that ash is whats traditionally used but beggars can't be choosers as they say!

[​IMG]

i cut the pieces to size on the table saw at work, being a sign writer came in handy because i was able to redraw the shape of the pieces needed in the computer and plot out some stickers to stick on the sides of the wood so i knew what shape to plane it to, and i could easily mirror it for the other side.

[​IMG]

after plenty of planing and sanding i had some really nice smooth bits of wood which i've fitted with all new stainless hardware.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

now i have to figure out how to make the bows that run from side to side. i'm well aware that you can buy wood kits for model A's but wheres the fun in that?!

13. here's a bonus art fag shot of how it currently stands.

[​IMG]

Lil'Alb likes this.
  14. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

Very nice work.

15. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Looking good Neil

16. wicked willys

wicked willys
    from ne ohio

How did I miss this thread? Your build is incredible. Subscribed.

17. heywacha

heywacha
    from Orange, CA

Your work is AMAZING! Someone please, ship him more projects!

18. Hello Neil!

Your nuts!!Just kidding,, love your works and enthusiasm and craftsman skills (where is mine??) I think I’m just got a little inspiration now,

19. RichtersRodz

RichtersRodz

Man... you are an artist with steel..

20. pecdaddy

pecdaddy

21. 68 devil

68 devil
    BANNED

Beautiful metal work!! Very inspiring!! Keep it comin!!

22. progress has been slowed because the guy who was lending me his nice welder needed it back, although i'm currently trying to buy it off him as i liked it so much.

in the mean time i started re-recessing the firewall.

[​IMG]

the cuts i needed to make went right through the raised ribs in the firewall and i think that would have looked crap so i took it out into the garden and pissed off my neighbors by bashing the shit out of it over an old anvil my dad gave me. i managed to reshape them so that they finish before they meet the recess.

before on the left, after on the right.

[​IMG]

after a bit of sanding.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

Neat job, as always!

Nick.

24. Racrdad

Racrdad

Doing a real nice job on the firewall ribs. Excellent attention to detail!

25. Gotzy

Gotzy

Well done for not being lazy on the firewall. What you doing fuel tank wise, putting one in the boot?

By the way all UK rodders, Neil needs a F1 steering box as well, even if he can borrow one to mock the steering up and then return. I'm in Portsmouth and can get it to Neil so we'd just need a relay to me via a run, I'm at the Nostalgia Drags at the end of the month if anyone can help?

26. Mark H

Mark H
    from Scotland

Love this thread.Nothing fancy,straight forward fabrication and engineering,just done to a very high standard.Keep it coming Neil!

27. 067chevy

067chevy

Wow, Nice work!!!

28. Cross Rodder

Cross Rodder

Very nice...that pedal ass. is awsome!

29. Any updates on the build? This build thread needs to get back to the top, just to make sure nobody misses it. First rate HAMB, quality build.:D

30. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

You tricked me, I thought there were updates!!!

I agree though, we need to know what's going on. This is one of my favorite builds to watch.