Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Guernsey boys model A coupe build.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Guernsey boy, Feb 1, 2011.

1. bab59

bab59

This guys good....

2. FINKSTR

FINKSTR

I actually love the unchopped look of your coupe. Nice work. I'll stop complaining about the size of my shop now.

3. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Very nice design and execution. I'm impressed !

4. Gotzy

Gotzy

Neil's being using a Lincoln Electric 191c welder and using it to great effect

5. Great work - well thought out & executed. Thanks for the heads up on the welded springs - I was worried about what I saw

6. brady1929

brady1929

nice work, mate. any updates?

7. chevydave1965

chevydave1965
    from Iowa

WOW ! Thats some AWESOME fab work !

8. I just found this thread, I don,t know how I,ve missed this. Absolutly fantantastic!!
    Great ideas here, I love the workmanship.

9. Sonny48

Sonny48
    from Mo.

At 26 I beleive you have a very bright and prosperous future in the fabrication field.
    Three questions...1 is that a stock A rearend? 2 What transmission are you using, and 3 what did you do to adapt the trans to the closed driveshaft. I have an extra Model A frame and running gear...and have a 67 283 I'd like to put in it.

10. Wicked Tin

Wicked Tin

Incredible work!! Keep us posted with updates as much as possible! Subscribing to this thread for sure.

11. LTM75110

LTM75110

You know the old saying" Don`t quit your day job ",You can quit any time now.Nice work!!!!

12. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Good work,keep it up!

13. phoenix5x

phoenix5x
    from Ohio

The fabrication is beautiful!!..Keep the pics coming!

14. JamesMcD

JamesMcD

I love this build.

I laughed at the Budweiser can. All the way over there and you're drinking Bud? Not knocking it, I just thought it was funny.

15. Kinky6

Kinky6

Wow! This dude is one fabricatin' SOB! Very nice work. :cool:

Kinky6 :cool:

16. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

really cool. I saw the pedals come to life and was very impressed! Nice job

17. gobi

gobi

:eek: WOOOOOHW!!!:eek:
    You are so painstaking ! Unbelievable!
    Biggest respekt!

18. NICE LOOKING A! Impressive work! Thanks for sharing.

Lars

19. again, thanks for all the kind words although i'm feeling like i'm being hyped up a bit too much! there are shedloads of talented builders out there who's skills far exceed mine. not saying the comments aren't nice though :p

unfortunately i don't have any major updates as i've been recruited to play drums in a friends band so learning all their songs and writing new ones has been taking up a lot of my time. i hope to get back on the coupe this week though so i'll be taking pictures as usual :)

cheers mate :) it used to have a stock A rear end which let go when i was doing burnouts.. the one in the build up pics its a 40 ford axle and torque tube which i've shortened to suit. it's a 39 ford 3 speed so was already a closed drive unit.

bud is my favourite beer! only canned bud though, the bottles don't do it for me. i'm fussy :p it certainly helps that the shop thats about 40ft from my house/garage sells 4 packs of it for under a fiver!

20. boutlaw

boutlaw

Wow, amazing craftsmanship, and its not just the fabrication and welding skills, its the process in which the pieces were built, what vision. I continue to be amazed at the skills of people on the HAMB. I have to subscribe to this one as well.
    Outlaw

21. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

That is the best psot I've seen in a while:D

Great fab skills that will look awesome when you have it all back together.

Must be the only one there?

Visited the Channel Islands years ago, Jersey. Sold an old MK1 Golf GTI to someone living there in 1994.

Keep the great pictures coming along I am looking forward to seeing the finished stuff.:cool:

22. 067chevy

067chevy

Damn thats some nice work!!!

23. volksjunky

volksjunky

Damn, gotta love when someones first works make the last 15 years of my life look retarded ! Great work man !

24. cheers! :)

thats cool captain scarlet, i've had 2 MK1 Gtis! i love them!

i've managed to get back on the coupe over the last couple of days.

i made a new tie rod out of some thick walled seamless tubing, i wanted to run it over the top of the split bones instead of underneath so i bought these 1 3/4 dropped steering arms from duksville speedshop (great service) only problem is they were a little too 'dropped' so i made a quick jig to bolt them to so they could be heated and bent to the right dimensions. cheers to my mate turk who did this for me (i can't afford my own torch!)

[​IMG]

after bending-

[​IMG]

someones retarded attempt at re-angling the split bones, not only did they look shitty but the castor angle was way off, over 11 degrees instead of the recommended 7-

[​IMG]

here it is with the dodgy section chopped out, i then put them back on the car, got the angle correct and tacked on half a washer to hold it in the right place-

[​IMG]

i reused my jig for bending the steering arms to make sure that both bones were the same before welding them up and grinding them smooth-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

welded and smoothed bone-

[​IMG]

all back together :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  25. hasty

hasty

Looking good. Nice build

26. ratster

ratster

wow! nice work

27. violet springs

violet springs

Beautiful metalwork

28. got another couple of hours in today.

the car had boring old speedway split wishbone mounts which i hated so i cut them up a bit.

i wanted weld on mounts because i don't like the bolt on items, i also wanted to bring the back end of the wishbones inboard a bit so i have more clearance for the pitman arm to run on the outside of the bone. i'll still have to put a small wiggle in the pitman arm but i kinda like that look.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

for all the non believers, 1mm cutting discs rule!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:)

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  29. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

NICE work Man, I've cut my wishbones mounts up roo and your's give me ideas on how to make 'em stronger, so Thanks for that!

Nick.

30. Mark H

Mark H
    from Scotland

Agree with Nick,nice job on the wishbone mounts.I like them tucked in a bit too.