Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Guernsey boys model A coupe build.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Guernsey boy, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Thanks Steve,

Neil :p

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Why did i type Nathan when I know its Neil doh !!!

3. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Love seeing updates on this coupe.. Keep them coming.

4. thecraggle

thecraggle
    from L.A.

So when are you coming over to Legoland (the real one) to help me with mine?

volvobrynk likes this.
  5. iddragracer

iddragracer

Just read your tread OUTSTANDING WORK, you nailed every step on this coupe.I'm a signwriter also.

6. CaliDreamin'

CaliDreamin'

Awesome build and thanks for the motivation!!! Got the rear end sat under my frame and everything prepped for my split wishbone and its now ready to be welded up.

"Insert Epic Quote Here"

7. Gloop

Gloop
    from NJ

Do you have anymore pictures of how you did your floor?

8. fnjunk

fnjunk
    from Australia

Just found this thread and read it from start to finish.
    Dude you are one talented mother fucker.
    How are the neighbors with your grinder buzzing 24/7?
    If there not happy you can move next door to me buddy and school me with your fabrication skills.
    There not much you won't tackle that's very impressive and inspiring.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Let me guess your going to paint the body your self also?
    Cheers And looking forward to more post.
    Fnjunk

Shit just got real.

9. Hello Craig! I'd actually love to!

I think i posted all the ones i have, but the body will be coming off again soon so i'll take some for you.

Thanks! Most of my neighbours are fine with it as i try not to make much noise after about 9pm. One of them had a moan at me about it once but she was so rude that i told her where to go and i've never heard from her again. The old dude that lives next door to me thinks it's awesome which is nice.
    I might paint the body myself, at the very least i'll do all the bodywork/primer and preparation myself.

10. I'm totally in love with how the wheels and tyres look on the car.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I think a few of you are over estimating my skills a little and thinking of me as some sort of wizard or something, so it's about time i gave you an example of something that i fucked up haha (I'm still learning, and quite often things don't go my way).

That thing was removing the old filler neck on top of the cowl.

[​IMG]

I removed the old one with a 3" hole saw

[​IMG]

I then cut a disc of steel the same gauge as the cowl panel and tacked it in, here's where things started going wrong!

[​IMG]

It just wouldn't weld nicely, it either popped and banged or cracked as soon as it started to cool. I finished it as best i could but still wasn't happy with it so i cut it out and did it again. It still sucked.
    I'm not certain why it wouldn't weld nicely but i put it down to either the inside of the steel being contaminated with lead from crappy old fuel, rust, or maybe some dodgy tank liner or something. Either way, i decided the best thing to do would be cut a 4" square hole big enough to fit my hand in to clean up the back side with sand paper and brake cleaner and it seemed to do the job.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I ended up with a little bit of warpage from welding the same piece 3 times but it's nothing that i cant massage out at a later stage. But hey, none of us are perfect!

catdad49, Strittan and firepilot like this.
  11. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Awesome! I've been waiting to long to see your wheels mocked up.
    Look boys he is human after all, haha. Really though I'm a huge fan of G boy but it is nice to be reminded of the way to perfection is usually through hard work, determination, passion, never giving up, recognizing failure, and willingness to cut up your hard work a try again to you get it right. You go sir, look out Bass.

12. Dropouts

Dropouts

Best build thread I have looked through in a very long time. As has been said before your skills are first rate and your vision for your car is spot on. Congratulations mate I look forward to your next update.

13. K.L

K.L

This is looking absolutely awesome, love the new wheels and rims.
    I need to get some money and knowledge so I can jump into a project myself.

If you're going to the land of lego stop by Sweden too, I'd love to see this in person!

14. daddylama

daddylama

gotta agree that this thing is awesome. dig the wheel/tire combo now.

also dig that you posted the gas filler trouble :)
    (exact same dammed thing happened to me... there was much cussing involved)

15. Majo

Majo

Wow! I like your work!

Majo

16. BarryA

BarryA

Been watching your build - great job!

You know to be careful with that around welding right - possibility of forming phosgene gas......

17. Geez...all these awesome Model A threads are doing my head in. All I think about is getting a coupe and giving it the same treatment! Hats off to you, you're doing a wicked job on this one!

18. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67
    from J Town

man she's coming along nicely, keep those pics coming!

19. Still watching, still enjoying.

20. Strittan

Strittan
    from Sweden

Now this is one bad ass hot rod! Keep it up!

21. nickk

nickk

I LOVE this build, so much inspiration for mine because its done so right and clean! Ps. careful welding stuff thats been sprayed with brake cleaner, can be poisoness in the right conditions. Anyways keep the pictures coming!

22. You really nailed it with the tire and wheel combo!

23. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I have been following this build for a while now. I have to say the car is coming along very nicely. The picture of the wheels & tires (tyres) really hit home. That is exactly what we ran in So Cal in the '60's. Great job!

24. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Love the stance , Great fab work and build.

25. snot275

snot275

Just read through this thread, wow! Digging it man! Super commendable work with very little tools. Truly "traditional".
    Question, what was the rear suspension set up before you began the build? Although I like what you have going on now, the before stance is what I'm shooting for on my build so I'm curious. Thanks man.

26. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

We must be due for an update :D

27. mrquickwhip

mrquickwhip

This car is right up my street......you must be real happy with how it's coming on....bob in Glasgow

28. Guys in backyards, concrete/dirt and gravel floors.... young and old....guys down under....and across the ponds....east/west/wherever....and now a guy on an island? Whoah. Never ceases to amaze me all the talent, and desire to build some bad ass rods out there. Totally dig the vibe, and love the skills that you have man. 26 years old too. Unreal. Thanks for the show. I am thoroughly waiting with bells on, for the next shot of your ride.

29. damn this coupe is rad!

30. K.L

K.L

Need an update!