The Jalopy Journal
Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Guernsey boy, Feb 1, 2011.
Thanx and welcome back! Gary
The other side was bit more involved...
For some reason my car had two left side garnish mouldings, with the one on the right side flipped upside down to make it kinda work.
I could have sourced a right side moulding and just chopped it 2" but living where i do that would have been impossible without getting one sent from the US or maybe UK (if i could find one there...) so chopping it into ten pieces seemed like more fun.
I popped into my mate daves body shop on the way home from work to use his blast cabinet to clean it up first as it was slightly pitted.
Boom, one R/H side garnish. I gave it a quick temporary squirt of primer until i decide what colour they'll be painted.
Nice work Neil
nice work , wow !
Hi Neil.Looking better all the time.Great build.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Nice save...keep up the good work
i m a big fan of your shit,great craftsmanship
I thought that it was about time to pull the motor out and see whats been going on inside. It always ran ok, but i've come this far so i may as well go a little further.
Luckily my good mate Kip runs a cool little traditional engineering shop so he's going to do the machine work and let me rebuild the engine with his guidance. One of the good things about living on such a small island is that his shop is literally 3 mins drive from my house.
The initial tear down went easily, but unfortunately the cylinders all have a pretty bad wear ridge at the top and as a result 5 out of 8 pistons were damaged. Kip is going to measure up the bores soon and figure out what the best overbore/piston combo will be.
Status. This is got to be my favorite build by far and the anticipation is killing me
From my teletype.
Wow, you do some fine work sir. The freakin' pedal assembly is a work of art.....and that's just on the first page!
Turns out that the motor was already bored .60 over, so Kip and Ray at tubbys took it up to .80 over and have ordered me some pistons. I'm now in the process of cleaning up the block and heads to prep for paint.
I couldn't resist bolting up one of the home made headers, I can't wait to hear how these sound. Pissed off i hope.
I love the old Chevrolet script rocker covers so i plan on re-using them.
They had dozens and dozens of tiny dents all over the edges so i spent some time at the anvil tapping away with the body hammers and sanding out the imperfections.
Thanks to my mate dave again for letting me use his blast cabinet.
In between messing with the motor i've been making a stainless steel windshield frame (pre-chopped 2" obviously) which is about halfway done.
Starting with these lengths of stainless. 30x3mm, 20x3mm and 10x10mm.
My buddy Turk was cool enough to let me use his rollers again to curve the bottom pieces.
I drew up a scale plan of a 2" chopped screen to build it on top of.
I then spent a very very long time going through the different grades of fibre flap wheel in a grinder to prep the stainless for polishing later.
I didn't take too many photos of this as i got a bit carried away, but this is a crappy drawing of the general plan. I drilled and tapped the 10x10 to accept counter sunk M5 machine screws through the 20x3 so the glass will be installed from the back side.
Here's one of the corners after i welded and blended it, you can also see the distortion on the face where the 20x3 has been tigged on the back side. I stitch welded it on the inside, 3/4 stitches 5" apart.
To lose those distortion marks i'm in the process of filing them all out by hand, then re-sanding ready for polishing. Very Very time consuming, but worth it.
I have a plan for the top hinge, and the slotted pop out bracket things which i should get on to in the next few days.
Magic work mate!
Heres the main frame after hours of filing and sanding, ready for a damn good buff.
Really nice craftsmanship!
Hope to see this thread stay up top for a while,
if you know what I mean.
This thread, is like having a permanent tech week! Inspirational to say the least! Thank You.
I have followed this thread for quite some time. I am always amazed at the fantastic fabrication.
Thanks very much, the kind comments are much appreciated
Always nice to look in on this build. Good work.
That frame is a work of art.....as is the rest of the coupe,I really do admire your taste and fabrication skills.
Great job on the screen frame.
All of it, in fact.
frame looks great
Doesn't get any better than that....beautiful!
Mad Skills !!!! Awesome!!!!
I'm learning so much from you. Thank you for sharing your skills, especially encouraging us to do more with few tools. Many of us lack the machine shop access, but see how to make do with what we've got through your example.
Perfect chop, by the way!
Couldn't have said it better.
This is such an inspiring build! Really makes me want to start building my own Model A! I'll never complain about the size of my shed space again either...!
Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!
great job on this! I wish I had the skills (and time) to knock out some much needed work on my 34
The only thing that sucked about this thread was coming to the end of it. I can say that I am subscribed. Beautiful work, can't wait to see it done.
Separate names with a comma.