Register now to get rid of these ads!
  1. NEW MERCH!!!!!!

Hey guys... It's that time of the year again and we are introducing some new shirts in the Jalopy Journal store - including our first ever pocket shirt! So, if you are in the need for some new threads go here:
    The Jalopy Journal Store
    Dismiss Notice

Grinding a crank with Dads portable crank grinder

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by George Miller, Oct 9, 2010.

1. George Miller

George Miller
    from NC usa

Here are some pictures of grinding a crank with a portable crank grinder. I had not used it to grind a crank for almost 50 years. We use to grind cranks in the car back in the day. Most of the time it was just one rod journal. We had a big crank grinder we used when the crank was out of the car.

This is not the best way to grind, but I wanted my mains with no run out. Most of the cranks that I have had ground by some one else, run out at the flywheel, and crank gear.

The mains are done, but forgot to take a picture of that setup.
    Just another way of doing things.

A picture of rod piston and crankshaft that let go a 5000 rpms at the hill climb.
    This is a model A crank

Attached Files:

2. Very cool George! We have had a couple threads about this.

3. TwoStrohs

TwoStrohs

I am the proud owner of one of these, in car crank grinders, that belonged to my father and was wondering what it would be worth?

4. krooser

krooser

We had an in-car grinder at the Enco station i worked at in the 60's... it was old even then!

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. TORR

TORR
    Member Emeritus
    from BOSTON, MA

Tman, any links to the other threads?
    I have an older sunnen unit that is missing some of the mounting hardware to
    do a "drop the oil pan job".

-Torr