Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Grinder art

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lockwoodkustoms, Jun 16, 2009.

1. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

I did this piece the other day for the hell of it and plain to display it with the rest of my sculptures in a local gallery in July for an up coming art show anyway since making this piece I have been asked if I would be willing to create these for people of their cars and or favorite cars. But I want some opinions from my hotrod family. anyway here it is

Attached Files:

• 009.JPG
      009.JPG
      File size:
      60.9 KB
      Views:
    • 008.JPG
      008.JPG
      File size:
      99.8 KB
      Views:
    • 005.JPG
      005.JPG
      File size:
      78 KB
      Views:
  2. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Looks cool to me
    I'd hang that on my wall..

whats something like that worth?

3. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

It will depend on if it is done in regular steel vs. stainless. $125 regular steel and $200 for stainless depending upon the market value of steel .....lol......when the price of steel goes up this will change the price slightly. Oh yeah I can clear coat he piece as well .

4. Crusty Nut

Crusty Nut

That is cool. It looks 3d in your pictures.

5. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

200 bucks for stainless art..thats not too bad..
    the steel one up here in michigan with the humidity would have a nice patina soon enough..not sure how that would look after many years.

you should definetly put this on the HAMB-0_Dex..or in the classifieds..or art sales..

6. BigBlockMopar

BigBlockMopar

That's some pretty cool stuff if you ask me.

7. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

Thanks Von Rigg Fink I will put in in one of them. Oh yeah the clear that I am using is POR15 Glisten it is supposed to be pretty good stuff but I am sure it won't last forever on the regular steel stuff but I can put it on the Stainlees even though it don't really need it. Again thanks for the advice and all the others who have checked it out so far.

J.Lockwood

8. Wildfire

Wildfire

That is awesome. For an extra challenge, imagine that done on an engine turned panel.

9. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

That would be something and expensive as well being the engine turned piece wouldn't be cheap.:eek:

10. What type of grinder do you use? A regular 4 1/2 " or something smaller ?? that is really cool!

11. LOWCAB

LOWCAB
    from Houston

Lockwood, when I saw that posted on the FAST section I thought it was great. I thought it had great possibilities. All kinds of things ran through my head. You could use transparent candy paint and still see the work through it. And you can do a engine turned look with a grinder, it does not need to be perfect to get the idea across. Paint on color accents, etc. Like I said I thought it was a great idea.

Use regular steel for rusty R@^ R*z;)
    Stainless for nicer stuff.:rolleyes:

12. budd

budd

thats very nice, you could do it on old rusty metal, old car door panels and use the paint as a body color or?, maybe use a brush and paint your clear on some areas and leave other without protection, as it oxidized it would change/evolve, hey what about doing a glove box door?

13. brewsir

brewsir

Yep I saw that piece on the Friday art and loved it!!! If I had a few extra bucks laying around I would definately step up (but as usual I'm broke!)

14. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

15. I can just see doing it in stainless and welding the art into a glovebox door, cowl patch or how 'bout doing a big one for the custom headliner for your chopped coupe? You could weld it in with regular mild steel wire, grind it, fill it, smooth it and blend the surrounding paint into it for a seamless look..

16. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

I think you have just invented a new art form, at least new to me. Nice.

17. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

LowCab, I have been thinking about some candy colors on them and it may be in the works very very soon. Oh yeah the rusty vs. stainless idea is too funny but it is all on how I feel it looks. I am trying a test panel for the rust or patina look right now.:eek:

J.Lockwood

18. mr.smith

mr.smith

cool, definitely something new

19. Wicked Tin

Wicked Tin

I love it, I have done designs in metal before then candy over them but never tried to do a picture like that before. Well...out to the garage I go, gotta try it!

20. That's pretty damn cool. I'd definately take one of my tbird - it'd look great behind my desk. Let me know when you start producing them.

21. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Very cool! Different and I love it!

22. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

My brother found this stuff called "Gibbs" It's an aerosol spray penetrating oil type stuff. It's amazing shit. It dries clear, you can paint over it. It stops rust in it's tracks. I can't say enough about it. It "is" a bit pricey but a can goes a long,long way. I'm tellin ya, once you have a can you'll always want some around. We have a ford juice brake backing plate hanging on the wall in the shop. We sandblasted it 3 years ago, sprayed it with Gibbs, and it will not rust. We had some parts of our truck build that we like the look of bare, steering hoop, spring shackles, clutch bell crank and a few other things. Sand blasted them and prayed them with Gibbs. It rained like hell on the way home from Autorama Detroit, they wont rust. Here's a link to their site.

http://getgibbs.com/

Last edited: Jun 16, 2009
  23. HOTTRODZZ

HOTTRODZZ

Very Cool Idea..!

What made you think of ( painting ) with a grinder...???

24. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Ive heard of Gibbs..never tried it.
    Might have to give it a shot;)

25. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

I was bored with welding up sculptures and had this idea so I tried it :D

26. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You now have at least 75 Hambers out in their garages staring at a piece of metal with grind marks on it saying "Oh, shit, that isn't anywhere near as easy as Lockwoodcustoms made it look". Nice art work that took me a moment to figure out. As someone else said, you may just have created a new automotive art form.

27. lost39

lost39
    from Austria

I like it so much!!!

Would hang it in my garage!!!

28. Hooligansince65

Hooligansince65
    from Chicago

I'd put one up at my place.

Attached Files:

29. storm king

storm king

very nice peice of work.

30. Skirv

Skirv

Awesome work Lockwood! A very cool effect. I saw it in the FAS and loved it.