Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Grilled to perfection ~ No, not a T-bone!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Sep 2, 2016.

1. lothiandon1940 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  2. Oh the humanity!,if the keeps of the Holy Grail sees the Corvair front suspension that time in history that we lived in will cease to exist. :rolleyes: HRP

3. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

A custom grill can make or brake a car{no I don't give a crap about spelling as long as anyone with 1/2 brain + nos what I mean,it an't school an if your butt is that sealed,you should be seeing a Dr. not posting nothing of usefull content
    }. The hardist maxed out custom grill to pull off, IMHO is one for early rods,seen a lot of very ugly things done an just a few that were better then a stock rad shell. But custom cars are another bag,too much can take away vs add to custom design an it seems mix and match between makes is a good thing as long as there is not a gap of 30years or so between parts.
    I used a 1958 Ford grill in my 1950 custom Henry J,back in 1960. Yes,its a Corvair bumper too.LOL

CarCraft J 1963.jpg

Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
  4. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

1940 Ford "Les PoPo" by Bob Crespo....unique, to put it mildly:D.....I like it...just very different and very futuristic in the appeal. CCC-LesPoPo-ProofSheet-14-W.jpg

EVL401, LBCD, 41 coupe and 3 others like this.
  5. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

This one...I just can't seem to ''get behind'' with any enthusiasm (Lincoln) twingrilleLincoln_01_700.jpg twingrilleLincoln_02_700.jpg ....not sure why it didn't catch on....LOL

6. Danny's posts are always about traditional cars. He is recuperating from shoulder surgery right now and is pretty much tied to rodding at the computer as opposed to crawling around the garage and lifting engines into their bay. If you don't care for the subject matter, do like you do at a car show and just walk on by. At least he doesn't post crap about COEs(and I couldn't care less if you like them or not), rat rod abortions and other stuff that is not a "traditional rod or custom". You can get a lot of inspiration from the threads he starts. If you want more build threads, how about you post your own.

Blue One, AndersF, Fedman and 5 others like this.
  7. Road Runner

Road Runner

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A rat with angry dirty teeth
    [​IMG]

And a hot rod grille without the 'e'
    [​IMG]

kiwijeff, Tomincanada, clem and 5 others like this.
  8. Desoto in a Merc:
    2015-Mooneyes-Irwindale (27).jpg
    Frenn Ford convert:
    frenn 01.jpg
    Olds in a Chevy sedan delivery:
    MG_9680.JPG
    Scrape:
    scrape 02.jpg
    Olds in a Ford coupe:
    lonestar-round-up-2015-cars-trucks003.jpg

9. Polynesian:
    polynesian 02.jpg
    polynesian 03.jpg
    Stock? '58-'59 Ford? in a T-Bird:
    tbird 01.jpg
    '58-'59 Ford in Big John Mazmanian's Willys:
    Big John 01.jpg

10. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

we even put *expanded metal* in place of some original grills...:cool:
    and *plywood* with the chevy emblem cut out (for air).

ya i'm an odd one ... so what...lol

now as far as i'm concerned the H.A.M.B. in not dieing ...
    but IF it (insert BIG hint HERE) would expand to allow up to 1972 and NO further ...

my CUT off idea is based on SMOG and ELECTRONICS replacing
    GOOD ol POINTS ...
    ya ya ya i know then we'd be fuging the mid 70's (mucle car's )
    but hay its just a THOUGHT

HRP you keep right on posting what EVER YOU want....

lothiandon1940 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  11. A famous hot rod. HRP

[​IMG]

12. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Well said HRP! I almost left right after I joined due to some folks with attitudes like that, but stuck it out. There seems to always be a smartass in every crowd.

A grille can make or break a design. I've seen some swaps that look like crap, and some that flow with the lines of the car. I've never been a big fan of the grilles with teeth, but that's just me. I like a nice bar grille, or mesh style. Some, like the 33-34 Ford and 40 Zephyr just have that look that goes good on different cars, while some others to me are just butt ugly....

13. 1936 Ford sporting a LaSalle Grille. HRP

[​IMG]

14. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

A bit of 47' Lincoln in there I believe, and maybe Buick fenders....very creative to say the least! 3848859884_2f69735ee8.jpg

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  15. cretin

cretin

While some of these threads can be tedious, as a builder I also find these threads to be helpful to get creative juices flowing. I sometimes find it helpful to search for a thread like this to help get started on a plan. To see what works, and what doesn't work, and how I can improve on certain ideas, or come up with an original one. I do think however, that it helps to break these kinds of threads up into at least custom or hot rod threads. Obviously a hot rod grill and a custom grill are two different animals, and especially with customs it can be broken up even more.

16. Jakes38

Jakes38

Here is the grille I BUILT for my 55 Customline. Not sure what the bumper pieces came from, but they were too narrow, so I made the insert to tie in with the grille. 20160520_192307.jpg

17. xpletiv

xpletiv
    from chiburbs

This thread is awesome and IMO has everything g to do with Rods.
    If you want to see more build threads then build something or find someone who is.
    I don't have the ability nor friends who can. There must be a lot out there that don't know about this site.

Keep on with the Grills!

HOTRODPRIMER and lothiandon1940 like this.
  18. This is a good looking grille. HRP

[​IMG]

kiwijeff and lothiandon1940 like this.
  19. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I will have to agree with Danny, it's really easy to sit on the sidelines and gripe and whine about a great site like the hamb dying when you have nothing invested in the forum's success.

Buy an alliance membership and help out.
    Otherwise stay silent.

It's like your TV. No one forces you to watch Honey Booboo (but you probably do anyway :D)
    Carry on Danny I like your threads.

20. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I will say, in my opinion, the old hamb was better and anymore it's a lot like facebook and not about building hot rods.. Some of the nonsense threads are OK but there are far to many of them.. There, I said my piece and now I'm going back to the garage and work on my beaters...

21. Pete

Pete

FYI...

I had an alliance membership and didn't renew it because of this particular reason..
    I'm glad you guys enjoy his threads ... Good for you.... Clap clap clap.

most of the folks following this thread don't have alliance memberships??

It's so goddam funny, the "kool Kats" on the HAMB are the first to high jack threads and point out the non traditional and dictate what is or is not traditional...while running radials and crate motors w/AC.... Please.

It's merely an observation about the direction of the HAMB and how it's morphed. I have total respect for Ryan and his dedication to this site.....AND your right, your $50 alliance membership definetly makes you more important.

Enjoy.
    Sincerely,
    A back yard hack builder with substance.

22. Pete,I was under the impression that we all were here for the same thing,our interest in pre 65 automobiles.

If you find fault so easy with any/all the threads I post then why even open it?

You could easily add my name or anyone else that you dislike to the PEOPLE YOU IGNORE list and perhaps your prediction of the Hambs impending death will miraculously improve. HRP

Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
  23. Pete

Pete

Honestly.... I was fine when you said "let's get this thread back on track".... And it did.

But if folks have the need to quote and reply, I'll respond.

It's all good.

24. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Some fatties with custom dentures

Attached Files:

Just Gary and lothiandon1940 like this.
  25. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OUCH ! Please pass the pepper sauce.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  26. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Denny, with all that time on your hands, you should be able to spend hours in the local hardware store finding that just right drawer knob. LOL

27. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Maybe because it demonstrates a pathetic waste of beautiful grilles just waiting to be included in two custom builds. Just my opinion.

28. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is going to become a nice piece. What is that material for the insert ?