Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Grille shells ~ the good,the bad & the ugly

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Apr 19, 2017.

1. I have seen a lot of rough grille shells brought back to life and some that have survived in pristine condition.

I saw this recently when visiting a Ford Barn friend this past Sunday,how much trouble would it be to resurrect this one to drivers quality.

But what the heck lets see your repairable grille shells you have as back ups not hording. HRP grill.JPG

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
    dana barlow and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. Got this N.O.S. shell when I was 16 years old in 1968 and was at Hershey with my Dad. Got it for $35.00. Got the insert and crankhole cover when I bought the '31 Dodge in my avatar.... post-37352-143141780492.jpg

3. Found this 1931 Dodge shell in Death Valley along with a 1926 Chrysler radiator shell in the same spot. I was about 21 years old. I had a '26 Chrysler Model 58 at the time, so I snagged it. Those were the only two car parts in that area and I found them....odd.

57b1177c591ca_Picture1969.jpg.7371f064ada8042a032264138f6a5308.jpg

4. Let me see. I got one hangin on the wall a '27 in perfect shape and this one for my A.

Gonna paint this one and tell everyone its glass. :D

Grill shell.jpg

5. That looks like it was quite the adventure. Jeeps packed down with supplies, sleeping under the stars. Good time I'm sure.

6. scotts52

scotts52

Picked me up a 29/30 Graham/Paige shell and a nickel plated Chevy grill shell at a fire sale many years ago. The county was on him because his place was unsightly from the freeway. Still have the Graham shell. Wish I could've bought the 37 Packard ambulance he had there. Looked just like a delivery. Only asking $700. Those were the days.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  7. We had a quite few adventures like that. We used to go down into the mines in Death Valley and some near El Centro, California. Picked up a LOT of old car stuff near those old mines.

wraymen likes this.
  8. spurgeonforge

spurgeonforge

image.jpg Ifound this 32 on a doodle bug back in my buddies woods.

9. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Hope you took it home :)

10. Pat Thompson

Pat Thompson

This one needs a little work...

Attached Files:

11. That one needs a little repair. HRP

[​IMG]

ct1932ford and mgtstumpy like this.
  12. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I built my T modified around this Radiator shell. I bought the shell when I was 12 years old. IMG_2213.JPG

deadbeat, The37Kid, wraymen and 2 others like this.
  13. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

This is an awful lot like a recent thread....GRILLE COLLECTIONS. Hoards, collections - whats the difference?

14. I ask a question about repairing a grille,if there is a similarity in your thread it must have something to do with grilles! HRP

15. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

IMO.... the '34 shell/grill is just perfect.

timwhit and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  16. j3harleys

j3harleys

I think that will buff out

17. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

55MG2.jpg 55MGTA.jpg 55 MG I restored for a customer

18. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

My yard art 42 Cad IMG_1038.JPG

mgtstumpy likes this.
  19. The37Kid

The37Kid

It was the summer of 1961, I was ten years old and rode my bicycle down the street to play with a friend. The '32 grille insert was hanging on a nail in his garage, I asked if it was for sale, he asked what I had to trade. He decided he wanted the two floor mats out of my Dad's brand new '61 Ford that he had left out to dry after washing them. That night at dinner Dad asked how my day went, I told him about the floor mat / '32 Grille swap, and apologized for not asking if it was ok with him. Turned out the mats were replaced with four individual mats since he didn't like the way the originals bunched up over the tunnel. He also told me he always wanted a '32 3Window. After handing on the wall for 56 years I wonder if I'll ever see it on a car. Bob DSCF7570.JPG

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  20. I was at a garage sale up in Condon, MT one summer back in the 90's and I happened to look over by this tree. There was a '35 Ford grill leaning up against it. It looked perfect... except someone had cut it off at the crank hole. So I asked how much he wanted and he said, "ten bucks". I almost tore a hole in my pants trying to get my wallet out! :eek:

I took it to a friends place in MO (where I built my car) and gave it to him for a wall hanger.
    I don't have a picture of it, but next time I'm there, I'll get one. ;)

21. KKrod

KKrod

Saw this grille on an BB chassis and bought the whole thing to get the grille. Had a good B engine too.

Overall.jpg Front.jpg

22. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Not mine but a friends 34 Master Chevy phaeton. Rainy day project. 34 master001.jpg

Dave Mc and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  23. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

24. I'm with Fred. The '34 you pictured is driver quality for a lot of guys. You could paint it but it wouldn't really improve it. Plating would cost near as much as a new grill.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  25. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

THis is I beleve a 1924 Hupp,good looking shell very very close to same size as 1930 Ford A. I have it for a slow hotrod build I'm doing with a 1917 Hupp roadster cowel n windsheild ,dash,Merc v8,an great number of other leftover parts from my old shop. Don't know if I'll ever get back on it,but I did name it"Hubba Hubba Hup" back a few years ago. When I realitzed this rod is only missing front an rear axle assm. too be complete parts wise. 005 (3).JPG

Attached Files:

HOTRODPRIMER and mgtstumpy like this.
  26. Well it needs a little work but I could make due with it if you really want to see it on a car. :D

HOTRODPRIMER and The37Kid like this.
  27. You will if you sell it to me!:rolleyes:

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  28. A little cleaner wax should do it.:rolleyes:

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  29. SmokinBill

SmokinBill

Chevrolet stuff at my office hall way
    [​IMG]

HOTRODPRIMER, TFoch, BLUSHU and 3 others like this.
  30. Looks much better that some stuff I have seen in office reception areas. HRP

Montana1 likes this.