Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Grille inserts Help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mopacltd, Feb 2, 2019.

1. mopacltd

mopacltd

Who makes grille inserts. I need to build one for my Model A. I molded in a '33-34 Plymouth PB grille shell. Lots of cutting and welding to fit it between the Model A fenders ad retain the Model A hood. I need some advise on building the insert before I spend anymore time throwing away metal from my previous attempts.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

post pic of what you have done so far

3. Since Model A's never had a insert your probably going to fabricate something and since the Model A shell fits so tightly against the radiator front of the shell it almost needs to be thin.

There are all types of expanded decorative metal panels on the market that can be trimmed to fit.

I suspect that's why so many Model A's have the deuce grille shells. HRP

[​IMG]

4. x2, pics of what you are working with? Kinda hard to visualize...

5. Something like this has the right (traditional) look, in stainless, chrome or perhaps black, and cut on the diagonal. You just have to search a supplier that will sell you a cut-off to your approximate size and you do the trimming screen.jpg .

6. I have a model A and also a 34 Dodge.(almost same as a Plymouth) I have an extra Dodge grill insert if it would help you? I just can't picture using it in a model A though. Like others have said, pictures would be a big help to see what your doing?? The reason we use a 32 Ford grill is. They're just sooo darn good look'en ;)!!!!Ron
    20181123_142027.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G920P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
    Pist-n-Broke likes this.
  7. I have built inserts like those on both of Ron's cars. I make a perimeter ring first to fit the shell as needed then hand for the bars to fit. I do it out of S.S. using 1/8" X 1/4" bar stock for center and a perimeter ring generally 1" X 1/8" formed to fit the shell. Very time consuming, very spendy and NO I'm not for hire anymore.

8. I should have added I make a wood buck with slots to hold the individual bars till welded to the ring. It's the only way to get spacing correct.

F&J likes this.
  9. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Refrigerator racks...**clic pic** for sale pics II 009.JPG 093.JPG

dwollam, RMR&C and Frankie47 like this.
  10. My buddy, Sonny didn't care for the 33 grill in his Plymouth and replaced it with a 32 ford piece...Weird, right? sonnys32plymouth.jpg

s55mercury66 likes this.