Register now to get rid of these ads!

Greene, IA AND Coyote Classics

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nick32vic, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Nick32vic

Nick32vic

Hi I was wondering if anyone here has ever had any dealings with this Coyote Classics place in Greene Iowa?
    If so, how was it? Are they straight shooters or do they try to dodge questions they don't wanna answer?

Reason is my dad and I are looking at a car they have and we would like to find out what kind of place they are runnin before we drive all the way up there.

Also, Is there anybody in that area that could potentially look at the car for us if we become more interested?

Thanks for the help!

-Nick

2. Fordman75

Fordman75

A few years back I found a car I really wanted bad ( wasn't a HAMB friendly car ). It was at a collector car lot in Greene IA. I don't remember the name of the place.

I had some questions about the car. So I called to ask some questions. The guy I talked to was a total jerk. He acted like I was just a waste of his time. Now I admit the car I was intersted in wasn't the most exspensive car they had listed. But I decided since he guy treated me the way he did on the phone I wasn't going to give him a penny of my hard earned cash no matter how badly I wanted the car.

Now I don't know if this is the same place as Coyote classics. But I can't see there being more then one classisc car lot being in Greene IA. If it's the same place I dealt with I would avoid it!!

3. S1B

S1B

Are you talking about Austins Collector cars (something like that)? Coyote classics is the son. The father(Austins) I believe is retiring.

4. Fordman75

Fordman75

That's probably it. It's been a few years so I can't remember for sure.

5. Nick32vic

Nick32vic

Hmm, I don't blame ya one bit. I called this local guy to inquire about him rebuilding my BSA engine and he acted like I was wasting his time. Id rather ship it across the country to someone who wants my business and cares about the customer.

S1B, you have any input on these guys?

6. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

Nick, i bought the 54 from this dude a few years back... called the guy on the phone and asked a shitload of questions and took the time to answer them all. mind you, the 54 was the second cheapest car on the lot and was sitting there for about 3 months which aint real long when you think about it.

guy was helpful and respectful with myself and mamma fiddy as well. only thing was, we went down there with a trailer the day after i talked to the guy. i asked outright if the car in the internet pics was the one i was going to buy, and that it had not changed at all since the photo was taken "nope, still here, nothing changed at all" was the answer.

when we got down there, there were a few pieces missing from the car, the front bumper, hood lip and stainless trim, few misc pieces of stainless...

i said i wanted the parts they took off the car (they had another 54 sitting there in better shape, and i guess they wanted the parts to complete that one?)
    he told me he "thought he knew where the bumper was, but not the hood lip"... he went off "looking" for the parts, and i went into the shop there to borrow a screwdriver to get the trunk open... got the trunk open, and found a ton of parts for the car. brang new drums, cylinders, patch panels for the fenders, quarters and both outter rockers... along with a bunch of other shit that i cant remember off hand... anyhow, i got the trunk closed just as he came back with the front bumper he "found" and asked what i found in the trunk

i changed the subject and thanked him for finding the bumper, and said "$xxx.xx for the car, yes?"

"yep, firm"

"ok, deal"

inside we went.

he handed me off to someone else who turned out to be the owners kid, the one i initially talked to to write up the sale. we made small talk and the first dipshit came around after we signed the papers and paid the guy. again he asked "what was in the trunk?"

well, i thought what the hell

"oh, brand new drums, patch panels, brake parts, trim..."

guys jaw dropped

owners were cool tho :D

all in all nick, i'd deal with them again, but only with the owners, and only on a lil bit more of a car too.

7. Nick32vic

Nick32vic

cool. Thanks Fiddy. How far is the place from you?

8. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

now? hell... prolly 5-6 hours or so...

when we lived in MN it was like, 3 if i remember

9. Nick32vic

Nick32vic

Where do you live now?

PS I just looked at all your threads and noticed you started a happy bday thread for me in july. haha so sorry. I totally missed it. Thanks though!

10. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

i have been down there several times in the past , depends what kind of car your looking at , seems priced acordingly , i went to look at a couple of muscle cars before that they led on like they were perfect but not in my eyes and they wanted a ridiculous price, seemed like mostly junk around havent been there for a couple of years though, heard it was under new ownership but my dad ran down to look at a roadster pickup 4 me and said it looked like the same faces, let me know i'm about an hour away and could use some entertainment, like dad says theres no santa claus if it seems like to good of a deal it probbably is, i could save you a long drive only to be disappointed

11. saltflatmatt

saltflatmatt
    Alliance Vendor

They shoot primer on all the cars to hide the 3 gallons of filler they slap on the car to make it look good in the pictures.

I have tried to 2 cars there...

The owner is a "used" car salesman talks a BIG talk on the phone then when ya show up it's a different story..

There was this nice 50 chevy coupe... Ad says runs and drives great... The wife and I head down on a Saturday morning to check it out... We get there the car looks like it got hit by a snow plow... NO SHIT, the only good panel on the car was the roof. He talks me into a test drive... Ya no problem I can do that.. But he didn't want my wife anywhere where we were. He told my wife to go up and sit down in the office and we would drive it... I won and Nichole and I took it for a test drive.. We get 2 blocks from the lot and it dies... We walk back and he wanted me to buy the car... Pushed me like crazy to buy it... I went home and found a better car for half the money. Even if the car was a perfect 10 for cheep the way he treated my wife I wouldn't give him a penny I ever earned..

2 years later he has a 49 ford coupe... I just drive down there with a friend no phone call to even see if it's still there.... We walk in the front door, he looks at me and tells me to leave.

I know of a few guys here in the cities who have horror stories about that place.

Ya better look real close at what your buying from him.

12. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

Green Bay dude. over a year now.

lol dont sweat it bro, happy birthday! :D

13. ems customer service

ems customer service

2 years ago they were under another name, iwent there after a car show, i viewed all there photos online and thought the cars were cheap for the price. but they have a body shop out back and do some very good bondo work some of the best i have seen, it took me a while of looking at a car to see if it had been fixed to look good in the photos. i would be carefull of anything that has a primer paint job it looks cool but covers up alot.
    they were closed on the sunday i was there but the yard was open and you could look around. i would not trust the email photos and only buy if i saw the car first then make a solid deal. can not say any thing bad about this guy but i do not feel good about what i saw.

but let me say more about that trip i made out west and some things i saw at other dealers. the latest trick to make the cars look good for internet picture is to take a spray can of paint the same color as the car and just paint over the rust the same color, when the dgiatl photo is taken and enlarged you can not see the rust holes cause it is the same color as the car, and if you enlarge the photo it distorts the view and you cant tell. i went to bunch of old car dealers that advertise and they were painting the rust. just remember when you get there it will not look as good as the photo hope this helps

14. saltflatmatt

saltflatmatt
    Alliance Vendor

15. S1B

S1B

I had good luck with them. I would deal with them again.

16. roadsterpilot

roadsterpilot

Ive looked at some of their stuff, pretty ruff.....................they take great pictures, must have a 55 gallon drum of flat black paint and 2different sets of wheels that fit every car.

BEWARE!!!!

17. S1B

S1B

I bought a decent running driving 53 Chevy . Some of the other stuff looked rough. It dependes on what your looking at.

18. saltflatmatt

saltflatmatt
    Alliance Vendor

I think the point is the guy will kiss you ass on the phone... Finance the car.. Deliver it and you own a bondo bucket... Once you have the car, then call him tell him he lied about the condition of the car.. Ya think he'll take it back or are you gonna' spend $1000 to ship it back to him..

When I was there he bragged about how many cars he ships out and no one from the midwest buys his cars.... Thats because locals drive up to look and leave with nothing.

I'm not saying you can't get a good car at a good price from them but you better look at it in person or send someone who knows what to look for...

19. Nick32vic

Nick32vic

Thanks for all the responses guys. I just looked at the 23 pictures he sent me. I told him to send pictures as big and as high quality as possible and they are like 640X480. Not exactly high quality. You'd think someone in the business of selling cars would be able to send high quality pictures. Im not having a good feeling about this one. Im leaning towards walking away.

20. I've been up there a couple times. It's about 2 hours from me. Frankly, I'd walk away.

21. carmak

carmak

I've been there a couple times. It's very hit and miss (mostly miss) with his cars. I know they like to buy unfinisfed projects (like FiddyFour's car).

They had a big auction a while back ("going out of business") that was all "No reserve". A couple friends went up to check it out. After the first couple cars sold for what they were worth (less than $1000) all of the No reserve stickers were pulled and almost nothing sold for the rest of the day.

Carmak
    Riverside, Iowa

P.S. Nice sig pic Walter!

22. Thanks Craig! what project is in yer garage this winter? stay in touch man.

23. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

never dealt with them but go with your gut here...

unless they have something with some history you want... you can find something better out there.

Harness the power of the HAMB

24. Nick32vic

Nick32vic

Yeah so im pretty sure we are staying away from this place. We found a better car anyways. I just hope that pans out. Thanks again for your help everyone.