Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Great Shot of Dean Lowe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by firingorder1, Apr 30, 2018.

1. firingorder1

firingorder1

I was browsing FB tonight and spotted this photo. Fellow Road Runner Dean at Pomona. No date or photographer id. Just a really cool shot.

[​IMG]

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great shot, I think that was in a magazine way back when I was still a kid.

3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I assure you @Dean Lowe will fill in all the applicable info shortly...and yes Great Guy, Hamber and cool go fast Hotrod survivor...

lothiandon1940 and loudbang like this.
  4. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is a cool one here as well...I believe he spent a fair bit of time doing this...;)

Winning

Dean_Lowe.jpg

5. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

6. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]

There really isn't a bad shot of this Hotrod as it looks great from every angle and performed
    equally well...

The proud owner was never far away...;)

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/?p=4899

7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

8. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]

Another classic pic...

Man and Machine

9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  10. The chute photo is at Pomona, 1963. It was taken by the late Kaye Trapp, one of the owners of the Magicar. The photo three posts above was also taken by Kaye, on the same day. If I would have known Kaye was going to be shooting that day I would have polished the damn wheels!

11. And it's also worth mentioning for those who don't know, that Deans ol Ford now resides in England, with an English Hamber caretaker.
    Such a great little pickup, great history, and great that Deans here to share info/history with us.
    Thanks Dean for all your input on this great site

12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@firingorder1 thanks for posting this up and @Dean Lowe congrats on your many years in racing and continued involvement in this going fast Hotrod scene.

Thanks also for your expertise and comradery around here.:rolleyes:...and what @kiwijeff said...;)...as I was pitter pattering on this cellphone thing.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
    elgringo71 and loudbang like this.
  13. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Yes thank you! And what Stogy said too!

kiwijeff, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  14. Dean is the man!:D

Stogy and Hnstray like this.
  15. The37Kid

The37Kid

I'd just turned 11 when I put down two quarters and bought that January 1962 issue, thought it was cool that someone a bit older than me had built a Hot Rod. Bob

26 T Ford RPU, kiwijeff and Stogy like this.
  16. catdad49

catdad49

One of my first issues of Hot Rod and one of those images that is imprinted in my mind forever. Back then, with probably a quarter or two in the pocket and endless racks of mags at the local news stand, you had a tough decision on which one(s) to buy! The Hot Rod guys put Dean's PU on the cover and it was a done deal that day and I still have it. The car has no bad angles so every shot is a gem! Thanks, Dean and the all those that had a part in these iconic images.

The37Kid, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  17. jnaki

jnaki

Hey Guys,
    Well, that HRM cover not only started something at our high school and local Bixby Knolls Drive In gab sessions, but everyone was envious of that teenage kid that actually made the cover of HRM. HRM!!! That was the coolest thing going, but secretly, we were all in awe, as well as having "dagger eyes" against that kid from Pomona.

We were in our high school senior year, customizing our cars, drag racing and cruising around almost everywhere...but HRM cover? Teenage envy and ego...Sheesh !!!

Jnaki
    Actually, I met Dean when he was around 8 or 9 years old, racing quarter midgets against a good family friend of ours at several local So Cal racetracks. But to us, he was a great driver that gave our friend competition in those quarter midgets. (Impressive driving skills for a little kid.) The introduction was soon forgotten until the article came out years later in HRM. Memories and history go hand in hand... as well as notoriety that we all need as teenagers. Great job, Dean...