Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Great service from Bruce Horkey's Wood & Parts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 40Ford!!, Dec 4, 2014.

1. Just wanted to pass along my experience with Bruce Horkey's Wood & Parts. I needed some custom bed strips and they were able to do it. After placing my order I had a feeling the order taker and I were not on the same page. The next morning I called and got Bruce himself and explained the problem. He said he didn't think the strips had been cut and punched yet and would make sure my "new" measurements were noted and the strips were cut. Unfortunately, there shop guys were faster than I thought and had already cut the strips. Bruce was very apologetic and said he wanted to make this right, but he was stuck with custom strips he couldn't use. I told him I could not use them either so I agreed to pay a small fee for him to cut new strips. Yeah I wish he didn't charge me anything, but I also felt bad he used his materials and now was stuck with useless strips. I feel this was my mistake and he did the best he could. Everyone in this Hot Rod business are going after the same dollars so I have no problem paying a little more for a stand up business. Check them out if you need something for your truck bed. Nice folks. I wish they were an Alliance member.

Scooterville likes this.
  2. Yep, I have dealt with them numerous times and always great service!

3. DRD57

DRD57

I'll throw an endorsement in here too. Great service and quality parts.

4. TinShed

TinShed

Bruce is a stand up guy! I built my 48 when I was a kid and had little money. Bruce traded parts I had for a bolt kit, strips and wood. He did not need to help a kid out but he did, I will never forget that. I am pushing 40 now so he has been a stand up business guy for years.

To the OP kudos to you for being a stand up customer and admitting your mistake and not bitching to have a business absorb that cost. Speaks volumes about you! Wish I had more customers in my business that way.

5. Thanks TinShed. Yeah Bruce seems like a great guy. He was willing to meet me half way and that was all I needed to hear. If I need any more bed parts I will go straight to Bruce AND send my friends there as well. We need to keep good businesses in business and crappy ones out of business. I will post some pics when I finish the bed. Here is one of just the wood. Mine boards are Black Walnut. I will have my daughter give 4 coats of Sapr Varnish and that should finish em up.

Attached Files:

Scooterville likes this.
  6. My daughter and I applied the first two coats of Spar Varnish on the black walnut boards. My daughter worked last summer at a traditional sailboat boat yard and learned several phases of sailboat restoration. Applying varnish was taught to her by the owner who was taught by his father. She taught me how it's done right! A tedious technique but works beautifully. We will probably end up with 4-6 coats. I'll post more when we are done.

Attached Files:

Scooterville likes this.