Register now to get rid of these ads!

Great Oregon Racers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gary Reynolds, Jan 17, 2012.

1. I sorta remember this turbine thing, any info?

[​IMG]

2. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

That is Marlo Treit's "Turbonique" rocket powered machine. Here are several shots from McMinnville in '65. The next time I see Marlo I will get the details. Photos were taken by my friend Roy White.

Attached Files:

3. rfraze

rfraze

Few more of Marlo's. Thank God for drag strips.

Attached Files:

4. jangleguy

jangleguy

Fantastic stuff, guys! Extra thanks to Gary and Marty for the comparison shots of Treit's Miss Demeanor!

5. jangleguy

jangleguy

And Rfraze, too!

6. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Interesting to see the comparisons of Woodburn back in the 60's to today. Much of the pit area remains unchanged. The safety measures added at the track, plus restrooms and concessions seem to be the only obvious changes.

7. I recalled the turbine trike as soon as I saw your post Marty! Interesting car.
    Any idea on the hemi AA/SR or these Dodges?
    I have a fuzzy memory of "Wild, Wild West" as being a very nice candy/metalflake looking car.
    IF ANYBODY ELSE HAS ANY PICS, PUT 'EM UP PLEASE!

[​IMG]

8. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I remember the Wild Wild West Dodge also, but don't recognize the other Dodge on the trailer? Walt's Lithia Motors was out of Medford, and I think both cars were S. Oregon cars.

9. The Roadster show ( I guess) in 68, Scotty's Drive in.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  10. Same. The "Groundshaker" I think all these shots are from the Woodburn display.

[​IMG]

11. More Goodell. Note the "Boot Hill Express" in the background.
    Marty? Anybody? Any info on any of these cars?

[​IMG]

12. Rockstadt's Anglia!

[​IMG]

13. NOT racers, but some more 1968 Roadster show. I have no idea who these cars were@ Marty? Anybody?

[​IMG]

14. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Dorothy Davis drove the Wild Wild West Dodge, possibly for Sonny Wells. If someone with enough computer skills, would search "Dorothy Davis Wild,Wild West", there is a short movie of her racing the car, please post the link. She was one hell of a racer, I knew her husband Harold, and her son Alan who was pretty fair in a "Winged Sprint Car"!

15. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

The AA/SR is Frank Wusz 23 Dodge, now owned by a member on here. Frank had replaced the injected wedge engine with the 426 Hemi. Here is the same car from '63.

Attached Files:

16. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

The yellow AA/D with the Hemi, is Simonson, Wheling and Jackson. It was driven by my old friend Nick Wheling, who worked for Dick Martin at "Exhaust Specialties". Nick and Ernie Hall had some spirited battles, both top contenders in Gas Dragster class.

17. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

The blue "Bantam" coupe on the Dragster chassis, is Stevens, Wedeman and Rosse. They ran a very competitive JR Fuel car, from the looks of the times on the signboard this is probably the same car with the body added. The same body was on a B/C owned by Terry Mills (picture shown) in the early 60's. That body is now in the estate of Tom Willford, still wearing the blue paint. Tom had dreams of getting it back on a chassis someday.

Attached Files:

18. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Marlo likes to talk about the differences in opinion that he and Wally Parks had, somehow Wally seemed to think race cars should have 4 wheels, and banned Marlo's 3 wheeled cars!

19. Larry Anderson

Larry Anderson

Well Marty, funny you should mention the Wally Parks and Marlo conflict of interest. Not sure why or when I took these pictures, but it's obviously Woodburn with Jay Livingston and Marlo in the background of the one shot. Looking at the fact I more grass than car in the shots, I may have been hitting the beer garden. Which would explain my not remembering taking the pics

Attached Files:

20. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Larry, great pics, Marlo and les had some real success with that car, I think they set the Fuel lakester record at around 337! Bobby Mead sent me a couple of shots, Ireland at Madras, and John Feckler at Woodburn, the 'T" in the foreground is the same one in Gary's shots with the 6 two Ram log, owner unknown.

Attached Files:

Gary Reynolds likes this.