Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Great Car Flick

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by deathrowdave, Mar 29, 2019.

1. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Got to check the new Highwaymen Movie , lots of vintage tin to view . Great movie also .

Blues4U and Gammz like this.
  2. jnaki

jnaki

Hey D,
    Nice choice of movies. It just came out on Netflix and is one of the latest versions. Because it was a roundabout version of Bonnie and Clyde, the cars are 1933-34 era correct. One of the most prominent things is the Greyhound grille ornament. The suicide front doors of the cars made it look so nice. Although the movie is a story that includes Bonnie and Clyde, it is the relentless hunt for them by the two Texas Rangers.

But, those two main stars being 6'1 and 5'10" heavy set, did not too comfortable in the front seat of the 4 door sedan. The movie was pretty good and fairly accurate. It is a different version and showcases the images up to the famous shoot out on that pristine 4 door sedan at the end. Sorry, no spoiler alert here, we all know the ending from history and the myriad of movies and books.

Jnaki
    The most impressive thing was the power of the BAR rifle (Browning Automatic Rifle) doing things to the 34 sedan.

Blues4U likes this.
  3. 62rebel

62rebel

I imagine Hamer's wife was not too amused with the condition of her new V8 Ford when Frank brought it home. Pretty good flick overall, and about time they dropped the adoration of Bonnie and Clyde.

4. greybeard360

greybeard360

It was a well worth watching movie. I may have to watch it again in a week.

Shadow Creek and 62rebel like this.

5. 2935ford

2935ford

Watched it. They did a pretty good job with the cars. I can forgive them with their new shiny paint, chrome spoke wheels, most had www tires. That was depression era and not a lot of money for that fancy stuff! In a few scenes were carcasses of cars off to the side of houses. Wonder if that '34 fordor Kevin Costner was driving was a studio car. Standing up on the hood! I've seen that B&C fordor just outside of Vegas....what a mess.

6. 62rebel

62rebel

Folks with decent jobs still had money to spend. Those were either brand new or relatively new cars at the time, too. Hamer was a retired Ranger and his wife had the money. Notice how much he seemed to grow to regret letting Galt fall into bankruptcy? People didn't share their troubles back then.

7. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I’m not to much on the know about this , someone help me out . The Greyhound shown the tail is touching the back legs . I have been told the Henry OEM Greyhound , the tail does not touch the back legs . Does anyone know if that is fact or fiction ? I just about smart as a bag of hammers !

8. B Ramsey

B Ramsey

if you look close, on side shots of the car, you can see dual carburetors through the hood vents..

9. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I believe you are correct about the Greyhounds tail not touching on the original. They were fragile and broke off quite easily. The repros are made to fix that problem.

10. 62rebel

62rebel

As many people as we have close to the film industry, does anyone know who built the death car for the movie?

11. shivasdad

shivasdad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

We just watched it last night. Really enjoyed it and the cars were the stars. I also thought that Hamer better get that car washed before he drove back in the driveway home.

62rebel likes this.
  12. Cool movie.
    The first red '34 was sporting some radials, almost looked like Michelins or Hankooks! really The suspension was set out right at the fender edge, a Hotrod in disguise.

Some of the speeds seemed a bit fast for a stocker.

Also the background cars, some of them, actually most were later 20's cars as junkers. Even 30's cars, that would mean some of them would be only 4-6 years old.
    I think most all the cars about 50+% would have been some format of a hacked up model T.

Some of the people seems "actor" dirty, the driving and couple of chase scene held our interest.

reminded me of a Perfect World.

13. Watched it Sat night. It was not a "Car" movie but yes lots of neat old cars and that chase scene when they were in that dusty dry field was too cool for school.

14. RDR

RDR

Watched it and enjoyed...Some "History" I never knew...The best part was that there was NO white fog line on the paved road scenes, something that almost ruined the Shirley Muldowney movie for me, like in the early steering her dads car scene...Heart Like A Wheel.
    Never part of 40-50's highways, for you Hollywood movie makers !

15. rudestude

rudestude

Well now that you know the history...what history are you claiming to know?
    If your referring to the history of the "fog line" then where is the explanation of the history of the fog line, do I have to watch what you watched to figure it out also ? Or am I missing something?
    Brief History of the "Fog Line" The fog line was developed in the early 1950's by Engineer-Inventor Dr. John V. N. Dorr after he convinced Westchester County New York to do some testing of his idea of a fog line , they did and with good results in fewer accidents. Also some follow up test in Connetitciut showed the same good results. So Dr. John ,using his own foundation funds, moved forward with getting ogg lines put on road ways.

Sent from my SM-T387V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. I had to pause it during the gas station scenes, lots of cool signs & gas station stuff.
    Thank god for prop rentals.

17. RDR

RDR

18. rudestude

rudestude

Ok ..I was just confused, it doesn't take much...I hate that on movies, I could see it on low budget movies, but these big money movies you think they would do some research on some things , like when a car is hauling ass , grabbing gears, then in another part of the movie the car suddenly becomes a automatic..and it goes on and on...

Sent from my SM-T387V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

RDR likes this.